Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 04:22 PM

New Shed

I'm thinking of replacing one of my two rotting sheds and am considering buying a metal shed! They come in kit form and two people shouldn't have any problems putting them up. They also say they're rust-proof and as far as I can see you can just plonk them down without too much groundwork being needed. Bearing in mind my sheds have been half eaten by mice and rats, and badgers and foxes try to dig underneath. They also back onto a nature reserve so loads of leaves falling on and around them - just right for damp and rot!

Anyone have any thoughts on pros and cons of wood v metal for sheds?
Robert Junior
Chatterbox
UK
Robert Junior is male  Robert Junior has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 05:05 PM

Re: New Shed

OOer , how marvellous. A new shed. How I wish I still had a shed, my retreat & refuge, full of stuff only of use to me.

I live in a flat now & miss my shed.

I wrote a ditty about it 2 years ago. I don't think it'll help you much but heyho,

POEM . MY SHED
At the bottom of my garden is my big green shed
When I bought it , it was a shade of cedar red
I soon tired of the cedar red colour
Cos it looked like a million other (sheds)
In this shed I had a chair
It was for me to sit in there.
For quite a while it housed my canaries
But , as you know, I’m quite contrary
Then it housed my many old tools
I didn’t use them, silly fool.
Now it’s full of odds and sods
Wife shakes her head and nods
As to what I’ll now use it for
Bearing in mind the now rotten floor
I’ve had it now for many years
Now on it’s last legs I fear
I think I’ll have to get rid of that (shed)
The meeces under it attract the cats
RJ/2014

I think wood is better/ more practical
Metal, can't think of any advantages.

what do I know anyway.?
Emjay
Chatterbox
London UK
Emjay is male  Emjay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 05:10 PM

I would think metal would be better as long as it is plastic covered or rust proof.
Also I notice that there are now plastic sheds as DIY. But I wonder if these plastic ones are sun proof.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 05:12 PM

Just make sure it is well attached onto a base of some kind,, which could be just flagstones if you don't want to concrete one.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 05:32 PM

I'm not sure how much a solid base matters as the ground at the back is at least two feet higher than at the front. There is a barrier which prevents the earth from falling onto the shed, but any kind of base will inevitably fill with earth, leaves and garden debris.
The current shed is (I think) resting on lengths of wood - 4 x 4?

If it was a wooden shed, it would be important to attached mouse-proof wire netting all the way around the base and up by about 6 inches. Whatever kind of shed it is, it would need concrete flags around all four sides to prevent wildlife digging underneath.
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 05:38 PM

I was thinking more of stopping it from blowing over in a gale.....
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 05:38 PM

You can get a lot of condensation in a metal shed, which can lead to rust on other items stored there.
It's also a bit difficulty to bung a nail in when you want to hang something up.
There are pros and cons to each
I prefer wood, cool in summer, warm in winter.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
You can get a lot of condensation in a metal shed, which can lead to rust on other items stored there.
It's also a bit difficulty to bung a nail in when you want to hang something up.
I agree - and a shed should say something about it's owner. Metal sheds don't seem to have any character - unlike cosy wooden ones - don't you think?
Lindyloo
isle of wight

17-12-2016, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Good points - thanks. But...........how do I stop a wooden shed from being eaten by vermin and stop it from rotting?
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-12-2016, 06:14 PM

It depends on how long you want it for Lindyloo, for short term, say 10 to 15 years, I suppose metal or wood would do but for a permanent outhouse the best shed of all in my opinion is one built of concrete blocks and concrete floor, you would have to consult a good builder and settle on a price, but it will last forever and never needs treating, you have the added choice of choosing your own shape and dimensions, where you’d like the door and windows to be etc., paint it any colour you wish and change the colour when you get fed up looking at the old colour. a roof with a heavy gauge wooden board and a good quality felt will last at least 20 years before replacing the felt. Mine was built over 30 years ago and I only had to replace the roof last year, it had been broken into through the roof a few years before that and water set in and rotted the wood. No mice or rats, the only living things you’ll get in my shed are me and a few old spiders.
Whatever you decide the best of luck with it Lindyloo.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top