Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:18 PM

Crying Cat

Can anyone offer advice please on my cat who frequently cries for no obvious reason & what I can do for her,? She is about 15 years old , we got her aged about 1 yr.she was very close to our dog, who was the same age , but already here. Sadly he was put to sleep with kidney failure last Aug, & since then she keeps crying quite loudly day or night ,sometimes just siting in the middle of my bed, she stops when we speak to her.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:21 PM

Re: Crying Cat

My old cat started to do that, well, yarling I'd call it.
Can't help you with why, just letting you know it's nothing rare or odd
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:24 PM

Sometimes cats cry when they need reassuring - a cuddle or a kind word works wonders - the fact that she stops when you speak to her sounds as though that could be the answer.

If it happens when they have just been to the loo, or just after eating it may indicate problems and need a trip to the Vets.

Maybe a Vet check would be a good idea anyway just to reassure yourself that nothing sinister is going on.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:28 PM

She is mourning-sod the anthropomorphic shite. Just a cuddle,talk softly-keep on the cuddles and perhaps a food treat?
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:47 PM

Hi Deylon

You need to get your cat to the vet asap. Sounds like a thyroid problem and if not treated can lead to death. It puts a massive strain on the heart and kidneys.

I am sorry I can't put it in a kinder way x
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:47 PM

My cat used to do that in her later years, especially during the night. I would call her name and she would come running to me and settle down.... it was almost as if she was disoriented.

I took Cassie to the vet and he explained that, like us, cats can experience mental confusion as they age.
I would suggest your first step would be to take your cat to your vet for a check up, just to rule out that she isn't in any pain at all.
If it is a case of her starting to become disoriented, your vet can probably give her some medication to help.

Cassie went on to live another 4 years after her crying/yowling started and we finally lost her at the age of 20 to cognitive dysfunction which is a type of dementia in cats.
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-07-2016, 07:57 PM

I had a cat with this 'pussy Alzheimer's ' too. Very much the same story as Mags. Like Cassie my Tizz lived with it for several years
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 01:50 AM

I have a solution.
Abbey
Chatterbox
Scotland UK
Abbey is female  Abbey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 08:21 AM

Dogs can have dementia like symptoms as they age so I think it's quite likely cats do too . All you can do really is reassure her .
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->

If it happens when they have just been to the loo
Yes why is that? Mine do that and then run around the house at top speed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top