Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 09:34 AM

Re: Crying Cat

I remember once we were watching a ghost story on TV. There was a particularly quiet scary bit when suddenly my cat gave the loudest howl ever. She had seen another cat in the garden. Scared the life out of me!

Back to the subject, my cats often cry in the night and I think as suggested, they just need attention. We don't let them into the bedroom and they are constantly trying to get in. Sometimes though they are asleep when they do it so must be dreaming of mice and 'dreamies'.

A previous cat started to lick away her fur on her paw after the death of her sister. We took her to the vets and he said she was missing her but it would pass - which it did.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 10:07 AM

Originally Posted by deylon ->
Can anyone offer advice please on my cat who frequently cries for no obvious reason & what I can do for her,? She is about 15 years old , we got her aged about 1 yr.she was very close to our dog, who was the same age , but already here. Sadly he was put to sleep with kidney failure last Aug, & since then she keeps crying quite loudly day or night ,sometimes just siting in the middle of my bed, she stops when we speak to her.
Almost a mirror image of our cat, who is now 20 year old. He's still well and able, although he sleeps a lot (but then so do we old people, or I do!).
He'll wander into the room, and around the house, crying over and over again whilst appearing to look at things which aren't there (or maybe they are, and we can't see them!).
As I understand it, it's probably down to 'softening of the brain'. Anyway, apart from the incessant crying he seems to be happy, can still jump twice his height, eats well and shows no signs of pain.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Almost a mirror image of our cat, who is now 20 year old. He's still well and able, although he sleeps a lot (but then so do we old people, or I do!).
He'll wander into the room, and around the house, crying over and over again whilst appearing to look at things which aren't there (or maybe they are, and we can't see them!).
As I understand it, it's probably down to 'softening of the brain'. Anyway, apart from the incessant crying he seems to be happy, can still jump twice his height, eats well and shows no signs of pain.
Cassie was also doing the lost in space stare, mostly when she was sat on my lap. I would gently call her name and she would jump slightly and be back with me again.

Her behaviour changed dramatically towards the end, she would stand up and walk round and round in circles, almost confused at which way to go.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
On our first evening in our new (old) house, both my cats spent the whole evening staring at the living room door. A bit spooky.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 04:55 PM

Sounds like advanced tooth decay to me...get her to a vet ASAP
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 05:05 PM

Can't you just trade it in on a later model ?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

08-07-2016, 05:35 PM

Can anyone offer advice please on my cat who frequently cries for no obvious reason & what I can do for her,? She is about 15 years old , we got her aged about 1 yr.she was very close to our dog, who was the same age , but already here. Sadly he was put to sleep with kidney failure last Aug, & since then she keeps crying quite loudly day or night ,sometimes just siting in the middle of my bed, she stops when we speak to her.
If she is eating ok, I doubt if there is anything physically wrong with her. As you say, she is probably missing the dog. What about getting another kitten? It gives them something else to be concerned about (territory, stealing food off each other etc) and takes their mind off of the loss.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
If she is eating ok, I doubt if there is anything physically wrong with her.
Yes, that's the basis on which I am sure that our cat, Poppy, is not ill: he eats like a horse!
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 07:04 PM

Thanks for replies,we had a bad night last night practically all night off/on crying, no sooner got her settled with a cuddle & reassurance than she was off again.She does have a Thyroid problem & on tablets so Im going to get her back to our vet & see if they can help
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-07-2016, 07:28 PM

Thanks for replies,we had a bad night last night practically all night off/on crying, no sooner got her settled with a cuddle & reassurance than she was off again.She does have a Thyroid problem & on tablets so Im going to get her back to our vet & see if they can help
That's a wise decision Deylon, please let us know how you get on at the vet's.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top