Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 07:28 PM

My hungry pregnant fox

A few months ago I was asking for advice on what to feed a hungry fox, and many of you told me what they could eat. She was obviously pregnant so I fed her every day and when she had her cubs I reduced the frequency, so she could teach her cubs how to hunt. My surrounding fields look a bit like Watership down with so many rabbits!
I eventually stopped feeding her, but still put my wasted cat food out for the crows and magpies ( I have very fussy cats!). On several occasions, in the last week, I noticed 2 young foxes coming to my garden to clean the bowl I put out for the birds. They must live close by as they come back through the day to see if there is any more....... so I can only assume they are my hungry foxes cubs. I just thought that anybody who remembers my post ( I can't find it now) would like to know that feeding their mum resulted in two lovely healthy cubs. One has a white tip on its tail.
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 07:46 PM

Re: My hungry pregnant fox

Sounds wonderful. How rewarding Twink I did wonder how they were getting.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 08:14 PM

Ah, how sweet.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-07-2016, 09:24 PM

Awww. I help to feed the mummy fox on our allotment. My friend does it mostly, but I have been helping out recently, getting rid of old meat from the freezer. We do agree it's not wise to do it every day, to encourage her to hunt, but friend said she was very thin for awhile, and suspected she may have caught a bug, so has wanted to feed her up.

Last week she was lying in the sun, just yards from us, on friend's plot, as we talked. Not seen her cubs though.

She gives her jam sandwiches, even, and claims she'll eat anything.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
Awww. I help to feed the mummy fox on our allotment. My friend does it mostly, but I have been helping out recently, getting rid of old meat from the freezer. We do agree it's not wise to do it every day, to encourage her to hunt, but friend said she was very thin for awhile, and suspected she may have caught a bug, so has wanted to feed her up.

Last week she was lying in the sun, just yards from us, on friend's plot, as we talked. Not seen her cubs though.

She gives her jam sandwiches, even, and claims she'll eat anything.
Jazzi, isn't it a lovely feeling when you start to build trust between yourself and a wild animal? All we can offer is food and some safety.... but the rewards are great. There is no hunting in my area ( shouldn't be anywhere by law) but I don't want to tame these cubs because there is always somebody who would be happy to hurt them.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

12-07-2016, 08:19 AM

Just to let you all know, kindness is not always rewarded..... those cheeky little cubs stole my large plastic feeding bowl last night, so I will have to get another.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 08:55 AM

How lovely, word of caution though neighbour here fed encouraged and fed, ended with seven foxes all hand tame and single minded when it came to food and getting it from humans. Fox rescue ended up having to take them away as they were scaring people and had to rehome them miles away to try and force them to leave humans alone.

I'm sure you aren't silly though like my neighbour and will know when enough is enough.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 09:22 AM

I can see Julie's point here. Personally, I feel it fine to feed them, but I wouldn't try to hand tame them. If they trust humans too much, one day it could well be their downfall as not everyone is as kind as you Twink.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England

12-07-2016, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
I can see Julie's point here. Personally, I feel it fine to feed them, but I wouldn't try to hand tame them. If they trust humans too much, one day it could well be their downfall as not everyone is as kind as you Twink.
As I said in post 5 I would never attempt to tame them. My house is surrounded by fields so no neighbours for them to bother....apart from the vicar and she won't mind them. The cubs look quite healthy so I am not going to put out extra food, but the crows and the magpies make a lot of noise if the foxes get the food first. It was just nice to see the original fox had managed to give birth to 2 healthy young.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-07-2016, 11:07 AM

Many people on the allotment hate them, because of the damage they do and the thieving. We always find items of clothing or shoes scattered about on our plots, no doubt taken from the clothes bank just yards from the entry gate.

Some hate them with a vengeance, so we feed them stealthily. I have never tried to make friends with them, but put the food down in a gap under a hedge on friend's plot. Where she puts it also. I always phone and say, can I feed Madam today, (if I have stuff ready) or will you be doing it? That way we don't overdo it, and as said before, let her go without some days.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top