Join for free
Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2013, 01:13 PM

Re: A cross to bear

I don't see the point in it either, I'm not knocking anyones beliefs thats their own business, but if he's so religious what's wrong with going to church and saying a few prayers like other religious people do, I've seen some of these religious showmen over here, they interrupt sports events quoting from the gospel, they thrive on all the attention they get, they just love to show off, in my opinion.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2013, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I think he could find something more constructive to do with his time like gardening or shopping for the elderly..
He is a care worker so IMO what he does in his spare time is entirely his own choice or have we all got to give up our spare time too ? I value mine I certainly don't want to feel I have to go round doing good if I have a holiday or a day off.

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
It isn't the case of 'what's the harm?' but 'what's the bloody point?' .
The point to pilgrimage is a journey of spiritual or moral significance. I think he is quite typical of pilgrims of the past really.

Originally Posted by Jem ->
I don't see the point in it either, I'm not knocking anyones beliefs thats their own business, but if he's so religious what's wrong with going to church and saying a few prayers like other religious people do, I've seen some of these religious showmen over here, they interrupt sports events quoting from the gospel, they thrive on all the attention they get, they just love to show off, in my opinion.
Because anyone can go to church and pray he wants to take his spiritual journey further and this is how he choses to do it.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2013, 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
He is a care worker so IMO what he does in his spare time is entirely his own choice or have we all got to give up our spare time too ? I value mine I certainly don't want to feel I have to go round doing good if I have a holiday or a day off.

The point to pilgrimage is a journey of spiritual or moral significance. I think he is quite typical of pilgrims of the past really.

Because anyone can go to church and pray he wants to take his spiritual journey further and this is how he choses to do it.
For goodness sake get off your high horse. That is the trouble with you religious fanatics - NO SENSE OF HUMOUR - and I might add - A DISTORTED VIEW ON WHAT IS CONSIDERED 'NORMAL'. The guy obviously has a screw loose - as many relgious people have. There lies the crux of the matter in that you and he are obviously on the same wave length.

And if the above gets me in Meg's bad books so be it - I can only stand so much.
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin
Jem is male  Jem has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2013, 01:33 PM

"Because anyone can go to church and pray he wants to take his spiritual journey further and this is how he choses to do it"
Well isn't he just 'Anyone' like the rest of us Julie, we are all equal in the eyes of the Lord. I think he just wants the attention, reminds me of the parable of the rich man in the temple, where the bottom line roughly is "Oh Lord look what I do for you, much more the anyone else"
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2013, 01:46 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
For goodness sake get off your high horse. That is the trouble with you religious fanatics - NO SENSE OF HUMOUR - and I might add - A DISTORTED VIEW ON WHAT IS CONSIDERED 'NORMAL'. The guy obviously has a screw loose - as many relgious people have. There lies the crux of the matter in that you and he are obviously on the same wave length.

And if the above gets me in Meg's bad books so be it - I can only stand so much.
I am not on any high horse I am just not keen on making fun of people as you are doing when they are not harming anyone with their beliefs. Screw loose etc is unkind and I am not into name calling either.

I don't think having belief in God makes me a religious fanatic but if it does then so be it.

You say you can only stand so much well sorry if I have driven you too far I genuinely thought everyone was getting on much better on the forum recently obviously wrongly if I have been driving you to say this.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-12-2013, 01:48 PM

Originally Posted by Jem ->
"Because anyone can go to church and pray he wants to take his spiritual journey further and this is how he choses to do it"
Well isn't he just 'Anyone' like the rest of us Julie, we are all equal in the eyes of the Lord. I think he just wants the attention, reminds me of the parable of the rich man in the temple, where the bottom line roughly is "Oh Lord look what I do for you, much more the anyone else"
Yes we are all equal I didn't mean he was special, I just think pilgrimage is a very historic thing and yes attention seeking but attention for his beliefs not in the way someone may attention seek if they are drunk or something like that.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-12-2013, 01:52 PM

I think what really bothers me about this guy - and others like him - is that with all the advantages we have in the UK with access to education - books - the internet etc, it appears we haven't progressed much at all since the bleeding dark ages. With all the unrest in the world caused by ignorance, and justifiably too in many cases, we should be leading the way with progressive modern ideas and not harping back to a long gone and now totally inappropriate past. The guy represents us in the worse possible manner to the whole world. He hasn't done us any favours whatsoever.

Originally Posted by Julie
You say you can only stand so much well sorry if I have driven you too far I genuinely thought everyone was getting on much better on the forum recently obviously wrongly if I have been driving you to say this.
If you want to argue then argue but don't do the old sob story on me please.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

03-12-2013, 01:59 PM

What sob story ?
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

03-12-2013, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
What sob story ?
Ok then let me put it like this. It is no good trying to appeal to my reasonable side when my dandar is up cos I haven't got one. The only way to get me reasonable is to argue your case. If I can see another side to things I will calm down, but going off the subject with an emotional plea won't get you very far with me I am afraid.

The guy rankles me badly and I feel like I need to let off steam. I will calm down in due course and hopefully not upset anyone whilst doing so.

*breathes deeply*
Jem
Chatterbox
Dublin

03-12-2013, 02:16 PM

Why not write a poem about it in the meantime Mark

Page 2 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top