Join for free
Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:29 PM

Re: Downsizing yes or no?

I’d like to downsize, we already did it once when we retired. We have a compact three bedroom house but with health problems would prefer a bungalow now. Unfortunately they’re at a premium here as it’s by the coast, flat and lots of people retire here. We would only get a tiny bungalow for what we would get for our house and we don’t really want to put more money in.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 12:31 PM

Downsizing is fine but be prepared to throw out a lot of stuff that no longer fits.
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:14 PM

We have a four bedroom house and we are starting to clear out stuff in preparation for downsizing in the near future. We only use two bedrooms anyway and the other two contain stuff we could easily do without. The stuff in the garage will be a real problem and so will all the books/bookcases we have. Bit by bit, I think so we hardly notice we have reduced our junk. I would like a two bedroomed bungalow, but they are quite hard to find
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:28 PM

I have quite a nice house only two bed and about 32 years old.
Two gardens but it seems too much and also stairs.

The otherthing everything suddenly needs renewing - windows next and this
goes on but not sure about a flat and cant afford a bungalow to
expensive. I bought this one from new.
sarah kay
kent
sarah kay is female  sarah kay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 08:29 PM

Or there is Equity?
Aerolor
Chatterbox
UK
Aerolor is female  Aerolor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by sarah kay ->
I have quite a nice house only two bed and about 32 years old.
Two gardens but it seems too much and also stairs.

The otherthing everything suddenly needs renewing - windows next and this
goes on but not sure about a flat and cant afford a bungalow to
expensive. I bought this one from new.
Yes, you are right Sarah - Our house is about 50 years old and we are finding many things need renewing. They still work but are old and a bit out of date, as well as getting shabby. I feel we have got to make the house more saleable - spruce it up - and we have started on the kitchen which I hope will make a big difference. This is a fair expense, but it does need doing and the fitters are coming on Monday to rip a few units out and replace the doors, worktops, sink, etc. We have also done a lot of re-plastering all over the house - back to bare walls to keep it simple. I am just hoping OH doesn't say we have done all this work and now should stay, because I think we will need to make the move before we are too old to be able to make the change.

Edited to say: Just seen your post re equity. I don't think I would touch equity release with a barge pole - so many negative stories.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 11:35 PM

Hi

I am wanting to downsize, but to another 4 bed.

It has a self contained flat on the ground floor, overlooking the Park, plenty of room for an extension, to make huge garden room and it has a big garage.

Ideal for me, it is 3 storey and I will rent the rest out to friends.
Lila
London UK
Lila is female  Lila has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:13 AM

In theory I could live downstairs and let upstairs rooms, but in practice? I don't want to.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 10:15 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

I am wanting to downsize, but to another 4 bed.

It has a self contained flat on the ground floor, overlooking the Park, plenty of room for an extension, to make huge garden room and it has a big garage.

Ideal for me, it is 3 storey and I will rent the rest out to friends.
Is it in the same area Swims?
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 10:51 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
Is it in the same area Swims?
Hi

Yes, 6 miles away, in the town, walking distance of shops, coffee houses and the Doctors.

This not driving business has brought it home to me about rural life.

Page 2 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top