Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2009, 10:47 PM

Re: Cooker cleaning

That's real clean Nero.

I've just bought a new cooker and it's got ceramic hobs, I've never had one before as my last cooker was the old fashioned type one and that was alot easier to clean than cleaning the new one. When the Currys bloke came out to fix the new cooker he gave me some professional hob cleaning spray stuff. It's a pain using it, you have to spray the hobs from a certain distance and have good ventilation, so I have to open the windows when I clean them, a right pain.

You can't beat the old fashioned type cookers
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

27-11-2009, 11:07 PM

My cooker has a ceramic hob and I use a cream ceramic hob cleaner. No need to open windows etc, just a damp cloth and some elbow grease.

You can but it in supermarkets.
Alicat
West Berkshire
Alicat is female  Alicat has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2009, 02:06 AM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
My cooker has a ceramic hob and I use a cream ceramic hob cleaner. No need to open windows etc, just a damp cloth and some elbow grease.

You can but it in supermarkets.
That's worth knowing, thanks Mags
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-11-2009, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
That's real clean Nero.

I've just bought a new cooker and it's got ceramic hobs, I've never had one before as my last cooker was the old fashioned type one and that was alot easier to clean than cleaning the new one. When the Currys bloke came out to fix the new cooker he gave me some professional hob cleaning spray stuff. It's a pain using it, you have to spray the hobs from a certain distance and have good ventilation, so I have to open the windows when I clean them, a right pain.

You can't beat the old fashioned type cookers
It must contain Ammonia Alicat if you have to open windows, be very careful of that stuff, it's banned in the trade.
Alicat
West Berkshire

29-11-2009, 12:22 AM

Originally Posted by nero ->
It must contain Ammonia Alicat if you have to open windows, be very careful of that stuff, it's banned in the trade.
I'll check it out, thanks Nero.

I've had a look, it's all written so small on the bottle, I've got a job to see the ingredients (even with my glasses on), it says something about Amonic Acid. I know you're not to get it on your skin or in your eyes or inhale any fumes or you've got to go too A&E straight away Anyway, I've decided I'm not going to use it, fancy Currys selling me that! I shall buy some of that Hobrite, it sounds a lot safer.

Thanks for that Nero Always better to be safe than sorry.
nero
Central Scotland
nero is male  nero has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2009, 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by Alicat ->
I'll check it out, thanks Nero.

I've had a look, it's all written so small on the bottle, I've got a job to see the ingredients (even with my glasses on), it says something about Amonic Acid. I know you're not to get it on your skin or in your eyes or inhale any fumes or you've got to go too A&E straight away Anyway, I've decided I'm not going to use it, fancy Currys selling me that! I shall buy some of that Hobrite, it sounds a lot safer.

Thanks for that Nero Always better to be safe than sorry.
Bin it AC, and use Caustic like I've been doing for years, as long as you wear gloves and don't splash it everywhere it's safe enough, I use a soft nylon brush to apply it, for nooks and crannies and the burner spreaders I use an old toothbrush.

PS : It's great for cleaning the chrome wire grill trays too, I soak them in a basin and the gunge just drops off, no scrubbing required.
suey
Shropshire
suey is female  suey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2009, 08:31 PM

I bought some Caustic soda about 2 years ago and never had the guts to use it can you use it on Ceramic Hobs? I at present have used Hobrite and Barkeepers friend and both seem pretty good but I am also very good at burning things and letting pans overflow onto the hob so lots of scrubbing needed My oven I use Oven Pride it comes with a bag that you put your steel shelves in and pour a bit of the stuff over and then I only use it on the base of the oven and door as the rest is self clean and it comes up a treat ...
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2009, 08:54 PM

I wouldn't use caustic soda on my ceramic hob!

As well as with ammonia, you also get damaging fumes from caustic soda and they recommend you wear a mask when using it.
gellygoo
west yorkshire
gellygoo is female 

30-11-2009, 11:56 PM

The barkeepers friend is great for ceramic hobs. If you have a steam cleaner, they work really well on the inside of the oven, the yuk just wipes off.
Myth and Magic
UK
Myth and Magic is female  Myth and Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-12-2009, 08:27 AM

We are on private drainage so cannot use anything as strong as caustic .... might kill the thingys in the tank. So I am one of those annoying people who wipes up splashes as soon as they land, saves scrubbing later .... I hate scrubbing! Simple!

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top