Join for free
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 06:43 PM

MOT Info

If you have a problem finding a reliable MOT garage - there are council run centres where their own vehicles are tested and open to the public.
You can find a full list of centres at moneysavingexpert.com/mots

money saving expert will be helpful for other tips too
I got a bit of neg feedback - so I have re-worded the intro to the post .....
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 06:59 PM

Re: MOT Info

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Its always best to get your MOT at a garage that does 'not' do repairs, strictly MOTs.
If you cant find one - there are council run centres where their own vehicles are tested and open to the public.
You can find a full list of centres at moneysavingexpert.com/mots
Why Patsy , I go to an excellent local garage which also carries out MOTs.
If they find any reason to fail my car the problem can be rectify without the need for an extra visit. They also service my car and I would be on them like a ton of bricks for missing something which should have been highlighted to me that would cause my car to fail.

I used to take my car to separate places and found it more time consuming and costly.

I appreciate there may be 'rogue' garages who could try to take advantage of being a garage and an MOT center but if you chose our garage with care it is fine
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK
Patsy is female  Patsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 07:06 PM

There are rogue garages Meg - we've been to a few in the past, a few years back an MOT garage was recommended and we have stayed with them.
This thread is only for those that have been stung - just a bit of info that might help
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

05-08-2014, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by Patsy ->
Its always best to get your MOT at a garage that does 'not' do repairs, strictly MOTs.
Why so?

If you suspect the garage is making up faults to profit from it you can report them to VOSA.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-08-2014, 06:39 AM

I'm merely passing on info from 'Watchdog' and other organisations - you either take the advice or, if you have a trustworthy garage that also does MOTs - then no problem.
We take ours to the garage pre MOT - he is genuine, does not do the test - so whats the problem ?
Take it or leave the info ..... its there if you want it .....
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 07:19 AM

It's like a lot of stuff in life, the MOT test relies on some testable points, and some subjective opinions, I.E, if a car fails an MOT on a testable point, it will fail at every MOT station nationwide, but if it fails on a matter of opinion at one station, it may pass elsewhere, being long in the tooth, I take the car for an MOT with an amount of money in mind, say £300.00, if it passes for less than this, it is pleasing, if the quote is more, then I take it somewhere else for a second opinion, arguing with an MOT tester is futile.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-08-2014, 09:25 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
It's like a lot of stuff in life, the MOT test relies on some testable points, and some subjective opinions, I.E, if a car fails an MOT on a testable point, it will fail at every MOT station nationwide, but if it fails on a matter of opinion at one station, it may pass elsewhere, being long in the tooth, I take the car for an MOT with an amount of money in mind, say £300.00, if it passes for less than this, it is pleasing, if the quote is more, then I take it somewhere else for a second opinion, arguing with an MOT tester is futile.
We learnt to have the car given the once-over 'before' the MOT - saves a lot of hassle, have it serviced anyway ......
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2014, 02:18 PM

If you have a reputable garage that services your car regular you can ask them to do a pre MOT check, that way it should not fail.
Patsy
Chatterbox
UK

06-08-2014, 02:25 PM

Originally Posted by Jimmy ->
If you have a reputable garage that services your car regular you can ask them to do a pre MOT check, that way it should not fail.
That's exactly what we do .......

[IMG]We learnt to have the car given the once-over 'before' the MOT - saves a lot of hassle, have it serviced anyway ......[/IMG] Quoted above ......
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-08-2014, 08:45 AM

That's good information. Thanks Patsy.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top