Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-02-2018, 02:38 PM

Re: Should I be pruning yet?

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I never prune hydrangeas until the frost has gone. I leave the old flower heads on til then.
Did you know in France people were stealing hydragea heads to smoke?
I haven't heard of people smoking hydrangeas before. I don't have any so I can't try it.
galty
Chatterbox
rainham essex
galty is male  galty has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:00 PM

All pruning should be done in the Winter for most things.

I always prune my apple trees in Jan and my pear trees in late Feb and any other fruits in these times.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by TessA ->
I never prune hydrangeas until the frost has gone. I leave the old flower heads on til then.
Did you know in France people were stealing hydragea heads to smoke?

I believe it depends on which sort of Hydrangea's you have, Tess? You're right to wait until March time if they are the Mopheads like mine, but I think you will find the Lacecaps are hardier and can be done after flowering has finished.

I read somewhere once, that with the big Mopheads, leaving the dead tops on helps protect from frost getting down into the stems.
I won't be doing mine till sometime next month.

Dongles, I didn't know Osteo's were perennial? Do yours over winter in the ground, or do you bring them in?
rhosyn
South Wales
rhosyn is female  rhosyn has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:23 PM

I've been out "pruning" this morning-if I have loppers in my hand-look out plants!
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 12:39 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->

Dongles, I didn't know Osteo's were perennial? Do yours over winter in the ground, or do you bring them in?
Mups my osteospurmum is in a pot outdoors and it has flowered through most of the winter .... albeit smaller bronze flowers.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mups my osteospurmum is in a pot outdoors and it has flowered through most of the winter .... albeit smaller bronze flowers.

Oh, that's interesting Mags, thank you. I must look that up. I've only had the bedding varieties, like large Daisy-type blooms, I love 'em.
I tried to take some cutting to over winter last year, but unfortunately, they failed.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-02-2018, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by galty ->
All pruning should be done in the Winter for most things.

I always prune my apple trees in Jan and my pear trees in late Feb and any other fruits in these times.
Thanks Galty.

Yes, it's all done now and looking much tidier. Most of the stuff I was intending to cut back just fell away anyway so it must be the right time.

I'm full of the joys of spring now (well almost).
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-02-2018, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Mags ->
Mine are in the ground permanently but what seems to have happened is they have spread to new parts with the original rotting away. They were described as hardy when I bought them but I understand it depends on temperatures and which part of the country you live in. Here in the SW, it's been warmer than the North in general.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

20-02-2018, 03:18 PM

Aha. I think the penny has finally dropped, and I have got a couple after all.
Mine are the Hardy whitish-pinky/mauvy daisy looking ones that spread into quite large clumps, is that what you mean Dongles?

I forgot about those tucked away in a corner here. I was thinking about the pretty bedding ones. Apologies - yet another senior moment.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

20-02-2018, 03:30 PM

Aha. I think the penny has finally dropped, and I have got a couple after all.
Mine are the Hardy whitish-pinky/mauvy daisy looking ones that spread into quite large clumps, is that what you mean Dongles?

I forgot about those tucked away in a corner here. I was thinking about the pretty bedding ones. Apologies - yet another senior moment.
That's the ones Mups. They are great and last all summer.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top