Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Docholliday
Norfolk UK
Docholliday is male  Docholliday has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 09:38 PM

A life at sea

I remember watching a documentary a few year back about a chap that lived full time aboard a luxury cruise ship he barely ever left it. Would you want this sort of life?While in the RN i was glad to get ashore for some leave so not for me thank you.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 09:53 PM

Re: A life at sea

No chance. I know some of these cruise ships are so massive that you hardly know you're at sea but I like to see my family and friends. I like to drive.
SamTheMan
Merseyside
SamTheMan is male  SamTheMan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 09:56 PM

When i first learnt to sail, i remember pidking a magazine up that was hanging around the clubhouse, and there was a story about a couple who'd made their own boat and set off on their travels.
Sounds good but i'd never have the bottle.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 09:57 PM

I took a short cruise, I really enjoyed that, but anything longer would not suite me.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-03-2018, 11:05 PM

Observations about the sea, ships and stuff.

Vice Admirals..poop decks..seamen...cabin boys...golden rivets...rum, bum and backie...hello sailor....bell bottoms...horn pipes...cruising...all very strange?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 12:22 AM

Yes, I would love to live on board , permanently.
Some do exactly that and I assume they get a reduced rate. This lady lived on the QE2 for about 10 yrs and when Cunard sold her , the lady had the choice to continue on one of their new cruise liners, i.e. 'The Three Queens' .
They are very big now though, and I'm not sure it would be so pleasant .

Was cheaper than a residential home , maybe she'd get the same 'mates rates' ! I would so love it..

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/h...re/7719605.stm
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 12:28 AM

I have several friends who live full time on boats. They live in them like most people live in what you all call caravans and they love it! One couple is raising their child while living on one.

It's always been a bit of a dream of mine to sail the intracoastal waterway in a sailboat or a boat with a decent-sized cabin. It might be cheating though - every now and then I might stay in a local inn or bed and breakfast along the way.

Generally, I would start on the Alabama/Florida line and make my way to Maryland, staying in places I like several days, a week....

Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 12:48 AM

Then there's 'The World'... Luxury Residencies at Sea. Buy your own apartment on board.

I often wonder who lives on this. Probably those 'bar stewards' who have ripped the rest of us off, all these years or maybe Mafia bosses, but to have so much money can't have been acquired through being Mr Nice Guy. No one nice ever gets rich .... like REALLY RICH !

http://aboardtheworld.com/our-story/
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 12:59 AM

I have seen these PD. Most are owned by oil multi-millionaires from the Middle East. All I know is that I have been on enough cruises to know that after a week or so, I have seen more than my share of many of my fellow cruisers .

The last time I sailed it was "Gold Chain Guy"...the one with lots of gold jewelry and body hair, making it a mission for everyone to see and hear him..... I seemed to run into him everywhere...
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-03-2018, 01:08 AM

I think the day to day routine of the same people, same scenery of water, same entertainment would get to me.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top