Join for free
Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-04-2012, 01:02 PM

Re: Buy your council house

The extraordinary amount - said to be nearly a million - of housing of all types, both council controlled and privately owned that are standing empty could surely be made to help a lot of the homeless.
mesco m
manchester
mesco m is female  mesco m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 04:36 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
The extraordinary amount - said to be nearly a million - of housing of all types, both council controlled and privately owned that are standing empty could surely be made to help a lot of the homeless.
That's quite true, although I'm not sure of the numbers. But there seems to be a distinct lack of will to make the resources available.
Wrinkly
Fondly Remembered
West Yorks.
Wrinkly is male  Wrinkly has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-04-2012, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by Hammer ->
The millions of houses not occupied is surely up to the private owners to charge a reasonable rent to get them occupied.
The council houses that are not occupied probably need refurbishment and not habitable, but there is no money there for councils to do this with all these cutbacks anyway.

This might answer your question Energy efficiency regs.
Read Home energy labeling.
Hammer
NW England.
Hammer is male 

07-04-2012, 09:45 PM

Originally Posted by Wrinkly ->
The millions of houses not occupied is surely up to the private owners to charge a reasonable rent to get them occupied.
The council houses that are not occupied probably need refurbishment and not habitable, but there is no money there for councils to do this with all these cutbacks anyway.

This might answer your question Energy efficiency regs.
Read Home energy labeling.
The total empty houses in 2011 was calculated to be something in the order of 930,000. Many of them have been abandoned for one reason or another. Most councils of varying hues have a strategy in place but are dealing with the problem much too slowly. They already have been given powers to take on some private dwellings.

A little commonsense, application and not a great deal of money spent wisely could save very many of them. In some cases far, far less money than is currently being spent on painting up houses to look like they are inhabited.

The terrible waste and general decline cannot simply be laid solely at the door of the coalition government - as much as it's critics would like - because the hard facts are that it has been going on for years.

As to the Home Energy Labelling you kindly directed me to,
When the white elephant otherwise known as Home Information Packs (HIP's) were introduced by the last government, the equally pointless Energy Performance Certificates (EPC's) were included.
The new administration saw a modicom of sense and scrapped the HIP's but sadly kept the EPC's, albeit as nothing more than a condition report only requirement.

They are notoriously innaccurate and have a low reliability for old buildings of the type I spoke of earlier.
They will however provide information on energy use and possible running costs and recommend ways to reduce energy use and save money but they are just a report and not a regulation of standards.
mysterie
Sydney, Australia
mysterie is female  mysterie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-04-2012, 02:52 PM

May I just add to this thread, I worked and I paid taxes then I became ill and ended up on a benefit.
I rented property as I could never quite get the deposit together for my own property. I am in a social housing property, which is fortunate as the private rental I was in immediately issued an eviction for not being able to work - they were concerned there would be an instant problem with the rent payment.
My option was to accept what the social housing offered or sleep out in the cold, I would not be able to purchase a council house now but I feel the offer would be welcome to some, it is rather a bother when you are ill to have to be moved about at the drop of a pin.

Also, I read recently that half the social housing in this country has to allot 50% of property to overseas people, I am not against anyone living here if they want to live in a friendly and sociable fashion but I do object to them coming here on a free ticket with social housing rental accommodation waiting for them.
Louisa
New Member!
Europe
Louisa is female 

23-04-2012, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by plantman ->
The great problem with council houses is that people tend to stay in them for life, rather than moving on when their situation improves. This is how the shortage of social housing comes about, that older people who no longer need, say a three bedroomed property, end up staying there forever and it is therefore denied to the next family. I can see why they want to stay, but there should be some mechanism whereby encouragement is given to tenants to move to smaller or privately rented property when it can be regarded as reasonable for them to do so.

Don't get me wrong, I do believe in social housing and it shouldn't be sold off, but for ratepayers to get the maximum value from the subsidies it provides, then it should only be regarded as a short or medium term stepping stone to somewhere either of their own or privately owned. A council house shouldn't mean a home for life, it isn't fair on everyone else.
Well put plantman. far too many live in 4 bedroom houses all alone when they could be downsized and that house then given to a family with 3/4 kids. It makes common sense.

Page 3 of 3 < 1 2 3

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top