Join for free
Page 101 of 370 « First < 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

13-01-2018, 02:38 PM

Re: Post your daily exercise routine

Since my last entry on here at the beginning of last week, I've been pretty busy with various things. I think my last planned excursion to the gym was on Thursday. Well I ditched that as I simply couldn't be bothered, preferring instead to trawl around Hull's old town ale houses with an old buddy. Much more fun that slogging it out in the gym. Was I feeling guilty about not exercising? Nope, not a bit. I work hard and having a few sociables was a far better way of relaxing

Yesterday it was my Aunt's funeral. A very quiet family turn-out, straight there and back really and because of my shift patterns and my body clock playing up I'd had very little sleep the night before and so it was straight to bed when I got back yesterday afternoon. My wife and myself went out for tea later on.

And so to today, and I've made up for my lost time at the gym with a real stonker of a workout. I love Saturday morning sessions, they're thoroughly enjoyable and I pushed myself very hard indeed on a series of 5-set routines which saw me stay relatively light with the weights but hitting those reps until I was really forcing my muscles to explode within It's worth it for the end results, honest!

Saturday 13 Jan 18 – Full upper body catch-up.

DB press, incline bench:
10x20, 6x24, 6x26, 6x28, 3x30, 25x20

Tricep extensions:
20x40, 15x50, 12x60, 8x70, 34x35

Shoulder press:
10x50, 10x60, 6x70, 6x80, 35x30

Single DB bench press:
20x50, 15x50, 12x50, 8x50, 32x32

Pec dec:
15x40, 15x50, 15x60, 6x70, 26x40

Machine curls, alt.:
6x30, 6x35, 6x40, 15x25

E-Z preacher curl, low pull, c/g:
8x28, 8x33, 6x38, 5x43, 29x18

Ab crunch:
20x45, 20x45, 20x45

Time: 1hr. 20mins.
Time now to chill out, have a decent meal and spend the rest of the day watching some TV, listening to some music and chatting to you guys.

All the best
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 02:03 PM

Did I forget to mention that on Thursday's eight mile run I had an encounter with the brown and white bad tempered dog from the farm......

He spotted me long before I was able to sprint off round the corner, out he came, effortlessly bounding over the gate and heading straight in my direction with slavering jaws and bared teeth he approached at lightening speed barking as he ran ( something that I've not been able to master)....

Not wanting to let him get behind me and remove a length of Achilles Tendon I stopped running and faced the animal. I decided to try a new approach... I knelt down and in a soft voice I invited him closer to make friends, after an initial snap at my fingers, his barking subsided and his body movements seemed less urgent. He then covered his snarling jaws and stood silently for a moment before turning away and walking slowly back to the farmyard.........OGF.....Dog whisperer......Not to be confused with that nobhead James Corden'

Friday's affair was a swift three miler along the canal towpath. I maintained a fast pace (about 70% of max) until I could run no further at that pace, I then jogged until my strength returned and repeated it several times. I arrived home devoid of energy, but satisfied. Recovery was swift and was more than capable of a trip to the cinema at Meadowhall to see 'Darkest Hour' A very rousing film about the events leading up to the evacuation of Dunkirk and the struggle of Winston Churchill to convince government not to capitulate to Hitler......If this film had been shown before the referendum, the majority voting for brexit would be more like 80%....

Perfect for running this morning and with no rain for the last week the roads were dry and free of ice. Quite a few degrees above freezing but in the absence of a half naked visit to the thermometer this morning I don't know how much above. The farmyard was deserted, so no snarly dogs, but I did pass several gypsy ponies running wild on one of the backroads, they turned off into the nearest field as I approached. So after a steady and comfortable run I arrived home in decent shape and ready to deal with whatever Sunday throws at me....I could get used to this running lark....
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-01-2018, 04:11 PM

Couple of good runs there Bob, good to see you're getting that noisy 'snarly' under control. He'll be trotting around with you soon.

Darkest Hour is a film I'd like to see myself. I must set aside an afternoon for that when I get the chance, hopefully withing the next couple of weeks. Another one is the (troubled re-shoot) story of John Paul Getty and his empire. Again, when time allows....

I reckon there'll be a post from Surfermom during my night shift. looking forward to a report on how her Disneyworld perimeter run went. I just keep picturing our erstwhile friend jogging along like some kind of latter day Pied Pier with numerous cartoon characters in tow. I'm sure she'd be faster than most, though perhaps Speedy Gonzales or Road Runner would zoom past her on occasion. *Oops! Hang on, they're Warner Brothers characters I think?!

Myself, and it was just a very short but productive workout for the legs today. I left the heavy weight out of proceedings completely and pushed out some intensive high repetitions instead. As long as the knees keep well oiled, that’s my prerogative for now of course…

Sunday 14 Jan 18 – Legs.

Ham curls, seated:
25x40, 12x50, 12x60, 8x65, 30x35

Incline leg press:
50x150, 50x150

Good girls:
40x50, 25x60

Bad girls:
40x50, 25x60

Horizontal sled press:
50x120

That was it today. Despite the rapid routine, my legs felt well worked, especially from the leg presses. Those last few reps were really hitting that lactic acid and I felt pretty well beaten up afterwards. A few stretches and all was well.

Time: 30 mins.

Thanks for reading
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 06:59 PM

Delightful catching up on you workouts and running feats, Floydy and OGF!

I am reporting live (barely) from bed after four days of astronomy and Disney with my own little souvenir in the form of bronchits and a fever. First illness in years! Fun times! No matter, I will push through here in a little while and run a few miles once I will myself to get out from under all this downy warmth.

Anyhow, I did manage a couple of decent runs on my coast-to-coast excursion, but my nieces, who recorded their steps, measured us as walking over forty miles while we were at DisneyWorld. That seems about right because I have a whole new set of muslces that are sore - mostly hip flexors. It's always surprising to me that whenever I switch sports how other muscles come into play. The pros are definitely right about mixing it up to ensure we are fit "all over".

Enough of that. I have a date with a bottle of aspirin and my running shoes...

Have a great day all and enjoy your HEALTH .
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-01-2018, 10:55 PM

Thanks Floydy, meet my new best friend.....He's brown and white with attitude....
I can really recommend 'Darkest Hour' a fascinating glimpse of history if it's true....I came out of the cinema feeling more patriotic than usual and if this film had been shown before the referendum I'm sure that the majority voting to come out of the EU would have been more like 80%. Yes Floydy, the Paul Getty film is on our hit list too.....

Sorry to hear you have been laid low with an infection Surfermom, it's always a problem when there are large gatherings of people like schools, public transport and close contact with others on rides etc. I've also read that after a hard run resistance drops making you more susceptible to colds and flu. I hope your discomfort is short lived.

This mornings run was like running on an Ice rink, there were patches of serious Ice that I wouldn't have been able to stand or walk on, surprisingly, something I discovered while a postman, providing you don't accelerate or change direction too quick, it is possible to run on Ice without incident. Forget times though, and today's run was exceptionally slow. Why I decided to to do the eight mile course instead of the six I'll never know, perhaps I just love a challenge....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:53 PM

Well, thrice I have lost this post, evidence that my head is still swimming a bit from this ridiculous sidelining fever.

Floydy, how is your family doing? You have had a rough year and I do hope that everyone is managing the loss of your aunt. It's never easy to lose family. You also seem to be doing a good job of keeping your mind and body active. I have popped in to your music thread just briefly and am amazed at your accumulation of knowledge on the subject. Music is ever playing in my house.

As for Darkest Hour, don't miss it. I have tremendous respect for the moral determination of the British citizens in the war, and for Churchill's fortitude, eloquence, and prescience when it mattered most. While this is probably more appropriate for the Discussions section, it is also an unending source of frustration to me that we, the U.S., were guilty of so much foot-dragging and weak overt support when we were first approached. It was appalling, really.

Anyhow, this cold and cold snap have me running indoors for a couple of days. While I am anxioust to get out there, my good sense has me doing my version of a moderate recovery with a mere four miles, slowly placed, on the "dreadmill". While it is a usually dull endeavor staring straight ahead or down at the amber digits announcing distance and calorie burn, today I had this lovely and rare sight. It has been a good twenty-five years since it snowed on the river:

OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-01-2018, 06:26 PM

After Wednesday nights heavy rain while I was tucked up snug in bed, I half expected a decent run on Thursday morning with no ice! But once I left the gritted roads of the suburbs I began to slip and slide my way round a six miler. I must be going soft, because as I reached the junction I took the six mile option and it was the easiest decision I've ever made. I felt crap to be honest but the time turned out okay in the end, much to my surprise.....

There was no doubt about the ice this morning though, all the surrounding roofs were covered in a layer of thick white frost, and the roads sparkled with a thousand diamonds. I was just glad it was only going to be a fastish three miles. I managed to stay upright all the way round, even when a couple of inquisitive dogs meandered across my path, much to the dismay of the owners. At least they were friendly, and the dogs were quite placid as well....

I can imagine a time in the not too distant future when three miles will be my limit, although I'll try to do them more often.........I hate this cold weather.....

It's looking quite nippy where you are Surfermom, but I bet it's heaven in the summer....
Cosmos
UK
Cosmos is female  Cosmos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 07:25 PM

Im an aerobics teacher, and taught 3 times a week....
but i love walking, it makes me feel so good...but since hubby illness, i cant leave him too long, so now converted my 3rd bedroom into a small gym, as i get my walking pushing hubby in his wheelchair along our beach, in the mornings , thats my first part of exercise...then i have my exercise bike, and a core exerciser, but will sneak another walk, when hubby has a nap mid afternoon..... yes its bit nippy at the moment OGF.....Brrrr...
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire

19-01-2018, 10:17 PM

Originally Posted by Cosmos ->
Im an aerobics teacher, and taught 3 times a week....
but i love walking, it makes me feel so good...but since hubby illness, i cant leave him too long, so now converted my 3rd bedroom into a small gym, as i get my walking pushing hubby in his wheelchair along our beach, in the mornings , thats my first part of exercise...then i have my exercise bike, and a core exerciser, but will sneak another walk, when hubby has a nap mid afternoon..... yes its bit nippy at the moment OGF.....Brrrr...
Sorry to hear about your husband's illness Cosmos, I imagine it's not easy to keep a regular fitness routine going while you are caring for your husband. It's good to hear that you have found ways to compensate, and your Gym sounds like an excellent idea. Keep up the good work and don't be a stranger on this thread, we all motivate each other and it's nice to hear how everyone is progressing with their exercise....
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States

20-01-2018, 03:27 PM

Hi, Cosmos, it's most interesting to read about your fitness. I was a caretaker for my young daughter for years, so I understand the importance of staying physically fit...and emotionally positive...so you can remain strong in a lot of ways. Your work ethic and determination are most admirable!

I love aerobics too, setting aside time daily to do step aerobics with three pound weights. It has been a mainstay because I can do it at home and it is a good compliment to my running and surfing.

It sounds like you have quite a good setup at home and that you and your husband are making the best of your challanges. I hope that with your dedication to your exercise that you find this part of the forum interesting. We are all interested in how each other fares around here and find it encouraging. It's nice to see you here.

Page 101 of 370 « First < 51 91 99 100 101 102 103 111 151 201 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top