Join for free
Page 413 of 1010 « First < 313 363 403 411 412 413 414 415 423 463 513 913 > Last »
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 08:10 AM

Re: What are you having for lunch/dinner?

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Thank you Jaz. yup thats the stuff, Milo, can remember having it as a child, and bournvita, and ovaltine, all three much of a muchness really,although I can recall actually 'eating' bournvita out of the can, all crunchy, really nice then, bet I would hate it now. Shall have to look out for Milo. Trouble is that all these things have tons of sugar in them and as a type II try to avoid if I can help. I used to love a mug of the chocolate flavoured horlicks at bed time, have not had it for years now.

DM I used to eat 'Ovaltine sarnies as a kid - ovaltine sprinkled on 'buttered' bread - at the time was delicious!!!!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Thank you Jaz. yup thats the stuff, Milo, can remember having it as a child, and bournvita, and ovaltine, all three much of a muchness really,although I can recall actually 'eating' bournvita out of the can, all crunchy, really nice then, bet I would hate it now. Shall have to look out for Milo. Trouble is that all these things have tons of sugar in them and as a type II try to avoid if I can help. I used to love a mug of the chocolate flavoured horlicks at bed time, have not had it for years now.
I have a bit of a thing for highlights hot chocolate (sugar being my problem too) I see Horlicks do a low sugar variety too, haven't tried it but then I am not keen on the full sugar variety either.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 08:22 AM

Originally Posted by Mollie ->
No doubt that's true Geoff, but do you have no shame at all that you're contributing to the exctinction of the wildlife on this planet and, more importantly, how they're killed in cruelty? Have you no compassion? So, how healthy are you as a result of this? I suggest that you're less healthy than many men of your age, so your argument doesn't really hold up. Your photo in your Profile is a testament in itself.

No need to reply as we've argued this before because you are very proud to eat animals in danger of extinction and are arrogant enough in your belief that they exist to be eaten, which of course they aren't. We'll never agree on this.

I sometimes wonder if another species arrived here that gathered and harvested human meat, and left the animals alone. They'd leave me alone as there isn't a pick on me!!!

Anyway, having said that, I'm not a vegetarian, but I would never eat anything in danger of extinction. Wild animals are far more beautiful than we are and it's beyond my comprehension why anyone would rejoice in eating these magnificent creatures, but thee and me will never agree on this subject so finally, I've said my piece, and won't bring it up again.

Just for the record Mollie - Kangaroos are so prolific in Aus that in some areas they are considered pests or vermin and are culled in their thousands. Similarly in Africa, the Wildebeeste are also very prolific and their annual migration of vast herds of them across the plains of East Africa have been the subject of wild life films by inter alia David Attenborough. Culling parts of these herds to allow the species to survive (without the cull the herds would grow too large and starve because there is insufficient grassland for them). The same truth exists further South in outh Africa where herds of Kudu, Impala and Ostriches have to be 'culled' to ensure the continued existence of the species.

So rather than eating, as you suggest wild animals on the verge of extinction, by eating such meats I am assisting in the preservation of such species.

NUFF Said????
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 08:46 AM

We are going out for an Indian lunchtime, so probably just a sarnie this evening.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 09:59 AM

Venison (Roe deer) Bourguignon this evening. I looked for alternative recipes, but most of them seemed to be a variation on that theme - cooked in wine with onions, mushrooms, herbs etc...

Loads of tomatoes in the polytunnel, so maybe homemade soup for lunch.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 10:03 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Just for the record Mollie - Kangaroos are so prolific in Aus that in some areas they are considered pests or vermin and are culled in their thousands. Similarly in Africa, the Wildebeeste are also very prolific and their annual migration of vast herds of them across the plains of East Africa have been the subject of wild life films by inter alia David Attenborough. Culling parts of these herds to allow the species to survive (without the cull the herds would grow too large and starve because there is insufficient grassland for them). The same truth exists further South in outh Africa where herds of Kudu, Impala and Ostriches have to be 'culled' to ensure the continued existence of the species.

So rather than eating, as you suggest wild animals on the verge of extinction, by eating such meats I am assisting in the preservation of such species.

NUFF Said????
Actually the air miles the meat travels is quite shocking, so even if it's ethically source (no meat is ) then the pollution caused by transporting it really isn't very good.
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK

29-09-2013, 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Actually the air miles the meat travels is quite shocking, so even if it's ethically source (no meat is ) then the pollution caused by transporting it really isn't very good.

Julie, in the global market we all now live in, much of the food (including all your fruit and vegetables) you purchase from the supermarket is imported from around the world. So criticising me for eating meat which may originate from Australia or countries in Africa is somewhat hypocritical when you yourself eat foods that are imported from the selfsame countries and also contribute to pollution.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

29-09-2013, 02:24 PM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Julie, in the global market we all now live in, much of the food (including all your fruit and vegetables) you purchase from the supermarket is imported from around the world. So criticising me for eating meat which may originate from Australia or countries in Africa is somewhat hypocritical when you yourself eat foods that are imported from the selfsame countries and also contribute to pollution.
My fruit and veg are sourced locally, rarely if ever see me eat anything out of season as I rely on local growers. If I see something in the supermarket from say Spain/Israel etc I leave it there. I do try not to be hypocritical UJ I have strict standards and apply them to myself. I am not a huge believer in global warming but it does no harm to support our country and our growers rather than other countries.

Vegemite is my only real product from abroad, my husband also occasionally has a banana both of which are carried far to get here but I try to off set my carbon emission in other ways.
lavander
s. scotland
lavander is female  lavander has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-09-2013, 03:04 PM

such a lovely day, so we had a picnic lunch with our 2 1/2 yo grandson...with ice cream to follow...
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

29-09-2013, 04:29 PM

Sounds lovely lavander !

Having boiled eggs with soldiers today, missed breakfast and lunch so having them shortly.

Anyone has this bug going round I wish you well seems to be a 24 hour thing but nasty while you have it !

Page 413 of 1010 « First < 313 363 403 411 412 413 414 415 423 463 513 913 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top