Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 11:36 AM

Re: Horizon - Why We Are Fat

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Interesting cocktail of facts and fantasies so far.
Losing weight by reduction of intake has been demonstrated by Newcastle University's research with this in the case of diabetics - and it works.
It has also been demonstrated and is still being demonstrated on a daily basis by millions of people all over the globe !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Dobra ->
Losing weight by reduction of intake has been demonstrated by Newcastle University's research with this in the case of diabetics - and it works.
I don't think anyone is disputing the raw fact that less intake = less weight.

The issue really is knowing how much intake (and thus energy) your body needs at any given time and the only real indicators for that are the body's triggers and sensors which tell us when we are hungry. If those mechanisms can be (and are routinely being) compromised by "stuff" that manufacturers put in our foods, then we are essentially buggered unless and until we become fully aware of what that "stuff" is and which foods don't have it.

The main issue with society's obesity issue is in tackling the ROOT CAUSE of it all which unfortunately means someone HAS to go up against the great sugar conglomoerates and the largest mainstream manufacturers that sit behind thousands of everyday foodstuffs.

Going up againt the sugar giants is unfortunately likely to get you killed. Others who have spoken up about it have disappeared in the past.

The answer is for people to reject these unhealthy products (even if they only cost pennies) and to select good raw ingredients (fruit, veg etc) but even these are being "attacked" by the pimp conglomerates who are desperate for us to remain their druggies.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
I don't think anyone is disputing the raw fact that less intake = less weight.

The issue really is knowing how much intake

The answer is surprisingly easy and I am surprised you haven't stumbled to it yet.
Let me bring a little light into your darkness.....

..... if you look in the mirror and notice that you are putting on weight, check with the bathroom scales and if they confirm your suspicions then reduce your intake !
Check on a monthly basis until you reach equilibrium ..... simples !
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
if you look in the mirror and notice that you are putting on weight, check with the bathroom scales and if they confirm your suspicions then reduce your intake !
Check on a monthly basis until you reach equilibrium ..... simples !
This is all a bit reactive and retrospective though is it not?
i.e. You've already put the weight on by the time you notice in the mirror. A bit like running a car without any fuel gauge and saying, when the car stops, that's when you need to put more fuel in. Not really very helpful.

No, there is something inherently wrong with the way in which our foodstuffs are contaminanted with addictive substances which mess with our brains and body functions resulting in us feeling hungry when we are not. That is not a good or acceptable situation for humankind and it needs to be stopped and reversed.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

19-06-2016, 03:23 PM

i.e. You've already put the weight on by the time you notice in the mirror. A bit like running a car without any fuel gauge and saying, when the car stops, that's when you need to put more fuel in. Not really very helpful.
The gauge is your mirror and your weighing scales !
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 03:48 PM

There is a very well respected writer in America - David Kessler (Commissioner of the Food and Drug Administration in the 1990s) wrote the book "The end of Overeating".

The book is absolutely fascinating, even more so given his scientific background and previous roles. He claims really quite forcefully that the food industry deliberately produce food full of fat and sugar which appeals very strongly to most people - more appeal, more sales, more profit etc.

Which correlates pretty much with what you are saying

No, there is something inherently wrong with the way in which our foodstuffs are contaminanted with addictive substances which mess with our brains and body functions resulting in us feeling hungry when we are not. That is not a good or acceptable situation for humankind and it needs to be stopped and reversed.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 04:35 PM

I have been going to Slimming world for a few months--and in the last 3 weeks uo until last Wednesday I actually put on 1 and a half pounds-I thought I was eating properly and well--check on the OFF slimming club thread--all meals listed there---but however--apparently I was not eating enough, even though i genuinely was not hungry. So this week, I have changed things around as my leader says--actually eating more--pasta, veg, meat, fish, cereals, fruit---and I really can see a difference already--crazy but true.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

19-06-2016, 04:37 PM

So many excuses, so much denial .... you may be able to convince yourself that it is not all your fault for being a fattie.....but you won't convince me.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 05:43 PM

Thank you Malcolm--you really are a true gentleman, arn't you ?

You know nothing about my life and my committments, circumstances and problems---nor of what I eat or do not eat---all I know is that I am trying to change and comments like yours are less than helpful. !!

I think that downright rude covers it !!!!!
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2016, 05:48 PM

Mariana - I think he was probably referring to me, rather than you - I think he would probably approve of your efforts. Your writings seem to have been posted at exactly the same time.

I'm pretty thick skinned and couldn't give a flying fig about his opinions to be honest. No offence meant to him - well not much anyway.

xxx

Originally Posted by mariana ->
Thank you Malcolm--you really are a true gentleman, arn't you ?

You know nothing about my life and my committments, circumstances and problems---nor of what I eat or do not eat---all I know is that I am trying to change and comments like yours are less than helpful. !!

I think that downright rude covers it !!!!!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top