Join for free
Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >
channeal
Sussex UK
channeal is female  channeal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 07:17 PM

Re: Newbie who loves computers

Originally Posted by Surfermom ->
A bit late, but hello and welcome. While I am not an expert on computers, they are integral to my personal and professional life. I will be glad to have your insights and input. Welcome!

Thanks very much for the welcome, Surfermum
spitfire
Chatterbox
Warwickshire
spitfire is male  spitfire has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-08-2017, 11:11 PM

Originally Posted by channeal ->
I know the tune really well, but didn't know (or maybe just forgot) that it was called 'Computer Love'.

We used to have a cassette of Kraftwerk music back in the 80s, might still have it somewhere in fact. Think we were given it by my husband's nephew. I think 'Computer Love' was probably on it. I mostly remember singing along to 'Autobahn' though, around the time my first child was born in 1977.

Thanks for the memory
I don't need Astrology
Now I've got Technology.
Zaphod
Lincs UK
Zaphod is male  Zaphod has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-08-2017, 04:29 PM

Hello there Channeal.

A late welcome I know but I'm also a newbie that loves computers; I have been building my own since the 90's (now I feel old!), my current one being an Intel NUC with a super-fast M2 SSD.

If you're not too "hot" on the hardware side I'm pretty good with software too ........... but not to the extent of writing code or anything.
I have felt the frustration of multiple versions of both Linux and Windoze and like you, love to at least try to solve PC problems.
Don't take that to mean that I'm some kind of expert - I'm certainly not; like you I am an enthusiast and maybe it would be good to share experiences.
channeal
Sussex UK
channeal is female  channeal has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 06:38 PM

Belated apologies to everyone who posted here some time ago.

I went off on holiday to Greece not long after posting here. We went for a whole month, as it was meant to help our daughter recuperate, as she has been suffering from PTSD since Januarey 2015. The holiday turned out rather differently though: I was unwell at the beginning and then - about a week before we were due to return home, my husband developed double vision. Once home, we embarked on a 2-month journey to find out what was wrong with him, going from a suspected slight stroke to discovering he has a tumour at the back of is head (just below the brain) to believing that it was the return of the very early melanoma he had removed in January 2015 to - eventually - finding out that he has got myeloma. He is about to embark on a 40-week course of chemo, as well as 5 sessions of radiotherapy.

As you can imagine, we are all struggling to cope with the situation. I do not think that any of us were in a particularly good place mentally even before all this happened. I personally was struggling more and more to accept the fact that our daughter did not seem to be making the progess I had hoped for in getting back to living a normal life. Now we have to deal with these other horrendous happenings too.

My husband cannot drive at the moment because of his double vision, so all the things we used to do together pretty much stopped overnight. I am finding it so hard to readjust. And we have all these awful months of gruelling treament ahead of us. It has been such a shock, especially as my husband was always such a fit and healthy person.

Anyway, just thought I would explain why I 'disappeared'. I see that Leia - who I knew previously and who was my only 'friend' on here - has deleted me, probably because of my non-appearance. I suppose I partly understand that, although I do feel that in such circumstances it is always wise to find out the reasons before jumping to conclusions.

Anyway, thanks to anyone who reads this; I may well be spending some more time here during the long months ahead.

Channeal

PS Have only just seen your post, Zaphod. Thanks for answering. I will hopefully get a chance to talk to you some more about computers in the future.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 06:58 PM

Hi Chris,

I am so sorry to read of your husband's illness and the worrying time ahead of you. I'm also sorry to learn that your daughter is still struggling to cope following her traumatic experience.

I must explain that I needed to remove my personal information from this forum and deleted the friends list at the same time, it was nothing personal at all. I will send another friend request to you.

You will be able to send me a PM when you have made 25 posts here.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-11-2017, 08:26 PM

Hi Chris,
So sorry that you have so much on your plate.
We are ALL here for you.
Mags
Supervisor
South West UK
Mags is female  Mags has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 12:48 AM

Sorry to hear of your husband's illness and your daughter's problems Chris, it must be extremely difficult for you at the moment.
channeal
Sussex UK

20-11-2017, 11:59 AM

Thanks very much for your replies, Sweetie Pie and Mags. Yes, it is a terrible time right now and really hard to see how we are going to survive the coming months. Neither my daughter or me are coping very well at the moment, to be really honest.

Thanks for the explanation, Leia. I really thought you must have deleted me because I hadn't been on here! Has there been some kind of security issue on the site?

Have a good day, everybody.

Chris.
Leia
UK
Leia is female  Leia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Good morning Chris,

I just noticed you were online. How are you today? I just wanted to say hello as I have to go out soon. Please make a few posts on the forum so you will be able to send PMs, the magic number is 25 You will get support here I'm sure, the majority of posters are nice, friendly people.
channeal
Sussex UK

20-11-2017, 05:59 PM

Sorry Leia, I must have left around the same time you posted your message.

Am not feeling at all good at the moment, either physicaly or mentally. Have been out with my husband for a coffee and snack this afternoon though, so it has brightened me up a little bit. (My husband is okay with getting on a bus at the moment as they put a prism on his glasses which enables him to see better, although he isn't able to drive). I am dreading the start of the long course of chemo though.

I hope you have had a good day.

Page 3 of 4 < 1 2 3 4 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top