Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 11:53 AM

Re: No surgery for smokers or obese

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
I don't know how common it is but that was offered to my husband but luckily he met his surgeon before we had to decide.
That's quite common practice here. If an operation can be done in the private sector, it shortens the NHS waiting list and the patient is generally seen more quickly.
No cost, still done on the NHS funding.

I think Tpin 's point was that many other ops in the private sector are paid for and therefore the surgeons are occupied by those paying for the private service.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 11:55 AM

I have never heard of that.
If you are having a serious operation dont go private.
You want not just the surgeon but the expert backup and after care of the NHS
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
If we didn't point fingers at smokers they would still be blowing their filthy fags all over us.
Ruining peoples meals or pleasure in going to the cinema or traveling in a bus or plane.
Making ones clothes smell like an ash tray .
Sorry smokers its a selfish inconsiderate dirty habit.
That finances the NHS, which wouldn't survive without the taxes paid......
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 11:59 AM

If the NHS didnt spend so much on smoking related illness it wouldn't need cigarette taxes.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 12:01 PM

Lots of issues !

Check out your own hospital and it's performance.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-41824180
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 12:19 PM

We are on the cusp of three authorities usually gp gives a choice as to which hospital we go to because same surgeons often have clinics at each ones on different days.

A and E at Guildford is safest, but out patient care at chertsey is best. We tend to go where we find its best.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
I dont know how anyone in this day and age would fail to know that sugar is bad for you ditto junk food.

As for smoking its been known for decades we have had more anti smoking education than that yet young people are still smoking including medics.

Its an addiction .

When i see young mothers wreathing their children's heads in cancerous smoke i want to give them a good smack.
Sugar causes no harm, but we just eat too much of it! All carbohydrates produce energy but most also contain other minerals and vitamins which are needed by your body......sugar does not and the only nutrition it gives is body energy.
The real problem is that we all eat too much and do too little... so the carbohydrates we eat turn to fat rather than being used for energy.
Levels of carbs are listed on nearly all foods containing them, so we need to work out how much we need per day and eat no more.....well controlled diabetics do this every day.

Fats provide the good flavours in our foods but are high in calories so make you put on weight. Animal fats also fur up your arteries and form clots of blood... which can kill you if they reach your heart.

The best way to prevent lots of health problems is to not criticize what we eat but give info on how much of it to eat! Measured calories can help us do this.

I also try to not eat many processed foods and cook from fresh...... at least then you have some idea of what you are eating.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 01:04 PM

My friend Martin, who is here doing some jobs for me at the mo, said at the private hospital where his partner works as a nurse, they are stopping doing surgery on anyone with a BMI over 40 !
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 01:20 PM

Hi

Once you start making rules on who is, or is not, eligible for treatment, you are on a slippery slope.

No surgery for the over 70's?

That would save the NHS a fortune.
May
Chatterbox
SCOTLAND
May is female  May has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 01:30 PM

Good Idea SF...just round up all the smokers/fatties/Auld farts, and give Them a lethal injection..problem solved...Britain will lead the World and become great again

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top