Join for free
Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 06:35 PM

Re: No surgery for smokers or obese

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Treatment of overseas patients doesn't cost as much as people think because they are being more successful in recouping it. Plus the expenditure you refer to is from outside the EU.

No, the costs of Brexit will just be an excuse for privatisation and reconfiguration.
I did hear a rumour that the NHS is to start charging foreigners before treatment which is a step forward but of course it's been going on for so long now that the damage is already done. No doubt they will still provide essential treatment whether they can afford it or not - or don't have medical insurance to cover the cost.
bakerman
Mexico
bakerman is male  bakerman has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

01-11-2017, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Tartlet ->
Are you fortunate enough to be eligible for Medicare Bakerman? Even then I didn’t think that things like dental care were completely free.

Can you help us understand why your medical care is free and yet we hear so much about US citizens struggling to afford or being unable to afford health care.

My US friends are fortunate to have good employer provided health care but there are still aspects of that care that they have to pay towards.
Yes, Tartlet, I am on Medicare. And yes, I get free dental care.
I am not prepared to share such private information on why I have free Medicare beyond saying that I am well over age 65.
As far as other U.S. citizens are concerned, situations vary widely.
I do know that if a person is driving a new expensive vehicle, they CAN afford health insurance. The problem is that many people want to live at a higher standard than their income allows. Millions upon millions have maxed out their credit cards to live "the good life" and have purchased homes well beyond their means. People in the U.S. very often, are unwilling to delay gratification, and buy, buy, buy, giving no thought to how they are going to pay.
I do know that I have seen interviews with people who are living in homes far more expensive than I could ever afford, and yet they whine about health insurance costs. Such people get little sympathy from me.

One thing is certain, no-one in the U.S. who is truly needy, is going without health care.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 12:31 AM

I do have friends in the US who live in a luxury house but had never bothered with health insurance prior to obamacare. It used to all be free anyway because if you were really sick there were charity hospitals (?) that would treat you without insurance. It was all being funded by the state but outside a state system. The trouble with the system there is that the insurance companies and healthcare create rip off prices. There was a lack of scrutiny and accountability. You cannot provide decent healthcare without state intervention. That's of course if you have a decent state....
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-11-2017, 12:54 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I did hear a rumour that the NHS is to start charging foreigners before treatment which is a step forward but of course it's been going on for so long now that the damage is already done. No doubt they will still provide essential treatment whether they can afford it or not - or don't have medical insurance to cover the cost.
They have always been doing it but not effectively or efficiently. Now they are asking anyone with a funny name to produce proof of residence. There was a British lady in the paper complaining because she had married a Polish guy and was being stopped from having treatment because she didn't have the right documents, even though she was a through and through British citizen herself. They picked on her purely because of her Polish surname.

In terms of the OP, it makes sense people should lose weight and stop smoking before ops because it leads to better outcomes.

You can't blame people for their weight. Some people put on weight simply looking at food. Depends on genetics and metabolism. I eat healthily now to try to avoid diabetes etc, but I've never been obese despite eating whatever I like most of my youth. Cream cakes or chips were never a problem. But some friends would always be dieting or would put on weight just like that. You simply can't help it if you have a tendency to store fat. Food becomes an obsession.

Doesn't it take longer to heal if you smoke?

Page 5 of 5 « First < 3 4 5

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top