Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 12:57 PM

Seagate Power Supply Repair

While I was on holiday my Seagate HDD with all my movies and TV shows stopped working very annoying when TV is not always obtainable in remote areas.

I thought an internal component had failed and just as a matter of interest decided I would have a look to see if it was repairable.

It's a Seagate USB drive with an external power supply which was definitely not intended to be opened. After stabbing myself with a screwdriver trying to prise the case apart I took it down the shed to attack it with larger, more robust tools.

Eventually I did get the case apart without damaging it too much and the cause of the problem was immediately obvious. It was a dry joint on the wire from the mains supply to the board which had parted company.

Soldered the loose wire back on, wedged the circuit board back in (it was originally glued in) and taped the case together again. Tested the voltage and all seems well. If it seems reliable will eventually glue the case halves back together again.

The moral of this story is that it is always worth having a look, it might be an easy fix. I thought a capacitor might have let go which would be a fairly simple repair too but this was just too easy.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	171110 004 Seagate Power Supply.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	4598   Click image for larger version

Name:	171110 010 Seagate Power Supply.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	4599   Click image for larger version

Name:	171110 011 Seagate Power Supply-001.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	4600  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 01:02 PM

Re: Seagate Power Supply Repair

BTW apart from the poor quality control on the soldered joint it isn't a bad power supply board with good physical separation between the mains and the DC side.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-11-2017, 01:34 PM

when we had the kennels right out in the countryside we ofen got mains power failure. So to have time to power down the computer we had one of these

Which got us out of trouble several times
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia

30-11-2017, 03:36 AM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
when we had the kennels right out in the countryside we ofen got mains power failure. So to have time to power down the computer we had one of these

Which got us out of trouble several times
Yep, been there done that, got the T shirt... I have one in my house at this moment to run my internet and phone service if there is a power outage. That is the problem with fibre.

Those outlets really annoy me what is wrong with a normal mains socket? I have had to cut the plug off extension cords to run the various components.

The power supply I repaired however was one of those small, double insulated power plug type for a HDD - the (cheap) TV in my camper will not run a USB HDD without its own power supply.

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3074.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	4617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3075.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	42.4 KB
ID:	4618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3076.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	19.7 KB
ID:	4619  

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top