Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:25 AM

CCleaner warning.

A friend of mine has put mer onto a possible problem with CCleaner, i know some of us use it..

If you've updated CCleaner since Aug. 15 and you're running 32-bit Windows, you may be infected. You should roll back to a pre-Aug. 15 snapshot of your system, or run a malware scan. Following either (or both) of those steps, visit Piriform's site to download and install the latest, clean version of CCleaner.

More computer literate members may have advice for us.
#
http://time.com/4946576/ccleaner-malware-hack/

https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...ner_downloads/

https://blog.avast.com/update-to-the...urity-incident
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 11:50 AM

Re: CCleaner warning.

That's Ironic, all the people who thought they were protecting their computers have actually been shafted by the very thing that was supposed to prevent it.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 12:04 PM

Ever tried to get rid of Norton or McCafee ? They are almost as bad as viruses they stop for invading machines and slowing them down. Often stopping other virus protection you want to use from installing after you think you've got rid of them.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 12:04 PM

There are plenty of open source alternatives to Ccleaner

BleachBit is one - you can get it here

https://www.bleachbit.org/
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 12:29 PM

CCleaner was taken over by Avast a product that had caused problems for me in the past. CCleaner had good reviews from many magazines when it came out, still it pays to be vigilant.

I will check out bleachbit Bruce ta for the link.
Omah
Chatterbox
Ludlow
Omah is male  Omah has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
CCleaner was taken over by Avast a product that had caused problems for me in the past.
I was taken unawares when CCleaner installed Avast on one of my PCs - luckily, it seemed to uninstall OK .....
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 06:15 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Ever tried to get rid of Norton or McCafee ? They are almost as bad as viruses they stop for invading machines and slowing them down. Often stopping other virus protection you want to use from installing after you think you've got rid of them.
Absolutely Julie, I long since uninstalled Norton when it was interfering with just about everything I do on a computer. I have been running two computers for over five years without a spot of bother.....I think people are made to feel paranoid by these security companies.....
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 08:03 PM

First thing I do is take Norton or McCafee anti-virus off any new PC. Talk about bloat. Luckily there are tools to completely remove all remnants of these two programs.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
If you've updated CCleaner since Aug. 15 and you're running 32-bit Windows, you may be infected.
I run CCleaner, but running 64-bit Windows. Can I assume that version is perfectly safe?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-12-2017, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
First thing I do is take Norton or McCafee anti-virus off any new PC. Talk about bloat. Luckily there are tools to completely remove all remnants of these two programs.
Yes, I do the same. When I bought this laptop, only a few months ago, it came with McAfee. A 'trial version' of course.

Needless to say, I got rid of it straight away of course. Thankfully, doing that wasn't very difficult or time-consuming.

Why are these computer manufacturers still allowed to do this? They might argue that they are doing us a favour in ensuring we are covered by a working AV programme right from when we first turn on our new computers.

However, as far as I know, all new Windows computers come with Windows 10, which has Windows Defender installed and running.

WD is the only AV programme I use and is perfectly adequate.

The real reason manufacturers include these programmes, of course, is that the AV companies pay them to do so.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top