Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 10:36 PM

computer alteration

Ok this is the situation. My main computer memory drive is a solid state one (SSD)and only being 250 GB it is nearly full with very litle spare capacity. This is even though a have most I want on backup drives.
At the moment i am running Widows 7 which I want to keep as a standby. Yes I could possibly do a Windows 10 upgrade but I doubt if there is enough spare capacity on the SSD.
So major decision bearing the above in mind.

I have ordered anothe SSD drive this time 500gb capacity -a tray to put it on inside the computer and a windows 10 memory stick.

The idea is I then have the option of, depending which is plugged in to go with windows 7 or 10.
Yes I know it could be done with just an upgrade but the possibility of loosing windows 7 for me is too much.

Another of the reasons is so many third party apps are now windows 10 only that a lot arn't supporting windows 7 .

so in the few days time I might go missing while I set it all up
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 10:43 PM

Re: computer alteration

Just curious - why buy another SSD? why not keep the existing one for only the operating system then install a much cheaper and much larger, say, 2Tb HDD?

It would probably cost you less and your computer is future proofed.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-12-2017, 11:21 PM

I have a 1TB HDD backup as well as extrnl backups as well. The way I use it is most of my work is on SSD and anything important goes onto HDD backup.

Also HDD drives have their own problems, they are slow and to keep them at their peak requires periodic defrags, so rather do most of the work on SSD

From the initial build we (my son and I ) did there have been several components I have replaced such as quiet cooling fans- bigger PU -increase the RAM to 16 GB - changed to CD/DVD drive to a silent one- changed "c" drive from HDD to SSD-added second drive -replace top of desktop case USB3 ports.

So This is just a continuation ofupgrades that suit me.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

24-12-2017, 08:25 PM

well just gone over to windows 10 . lot of fluffing about overcoming some issues but got there in the end. It is the uploads that take the time.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-12-2017, 11:47 PM

Personally I think once you have got used to WIN10 you will abandon WIN 7 especially if you use something like Classic Shell to make 10 look like the more familiar 7. Win10 is far less bloated than Win7

Having two similar operating systems running seems a bit pointless - different running say Linux and WIN10

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	chartz.001.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	4793  
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

25-12-2017, 10:26 PM

Bruse
There is still a lot of stuff on W7 that has not been adapted for W10. earching the web for those updates is a bind
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Bruse
There is still a lot of stuff on W7 that has not been adapted for W10. earching the web for those updates is a bind
I will alert Fruitcake to this thread. He had all the same probs.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 06:44 PM

Hated Windows 7, quite happy with Windows 10.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:26 PM

One of the things to watch out for is that W10 comes with Office 365, and costs quite a bit to renew each year.

I bought an Office 201X (can't remember what year) key code on ebay for under a tenner. When it arrived I just went to the respective website, typed in the code, and the install process started without any problems. It worked a treat and now I have Word, etc that doesn't need renewing.

As for things not running on W10 that worked on W7, it's designed like that to force you to spend money on more windows products.

All you can do I think is keep trawling the various pooter forums on various sites for each specific problem.
I find the site set up by an "expert saving money" to be quite good.

No disrespect to anyone with pooter knowledge on the OFF, I just haven't had need to ask for help here yet.
Purwell
Chatterbox
North Herts, England
Purwell is male  Purwell has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-12-2017, 10:35 PM

I have not had to pay anything for Office 365, what on Earth are you talking about?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top