Join for free
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2018, 11:04 PM

Are you being watched?

For the paranoid among you

I have been running an ad blocker (AdBlock Plus) as an addon my default browser for years (makes YouTube watchable for example) and have my browser set to delete cookies whenever it is unloaded.

However just as an experiment I decided to add an anti tracker to my browser, there are several options but the one I decided on was Ghostery (for no particular reason other than I liked the name). Personally I am not that fussed about being tracked but it is interesting to see what sites track you and with what.

For example this site has two trackers Google Adsense and Google Analytics but I have seen up to seven trackers on some media sites. Below is a screen shot of the details for this site - normally all you get is a number and brief details pop up for a second or so - not the screen below.

By the way on this site Adblocker reports blocking four ads and Ghostery has blocked two trackers.

I shall probably leave it running as it claims to speed up page loading; certainly my browser is running no slower as far as I can see. It can be turned on or off on a site by site basis either permanently or temporarily - handy for some of the click bait sites.

Interesting eh?

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ashampoo_Snap_2018.01.03_08h47m58s_001_.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	40.7 KB
ID:	4851  
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 03:26 AM

Re: Are you being watched?

BTW I said I had seen up to seven trackers on Media sites... Well I visited Huffington Post today and Ghostery reported 15 trackers. Obviously media sites like to know a lot about who visited them but I am guessing that is also a function of all the Click Bait they have to pepper themselves with.

You know the, "Stars you Wouldn't Recognise Now" or "Facelifts that went Wrong" type of stuff.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 11:40 AM

Careful Bruce we aren't allowed to admit we use ad lockers and the like. I can see azzs point he relies on the revenue.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-01-2018, 06:45 PM

I've been using Ghostery for quite a while now, I think it's invaluable for killing off trackers (especially Google's interference in every aspect of the internet).
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Ads are a fact of life.

They, probably, fund just about every site you go to.

Just as on the Telly, they are there because they pay for the sites and we don't have to.

Tracking what sites you go to is also a fact of life as the advertisers like to learn what turns you on and select the ads to fit with that.

In my opinion, it only gets bad either through over indulgence (number of ads coming your way) or through selling your info on.

I don't like that.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:52 PM

Only ones I object to are pop ups but I haven't had one of them since I got my iPad. Simple banner like at top of this site don't bother me they can be quite funny.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top