Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:40 PM

Re: Setting up new laptop

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Thanks for all your replies. I have a 64 GB USB on order - arriving today.

I generally follow a maintenance routine - which I do about once a month - six weeks, which includes running C/cleaner, clearing browsing history, uninstall any unwanted programmes then take three backups - all kept in three different locations.
That's in addition to updates the computer keeps reminding me to do!
Belarc Advisor would be a useful addition to your list (it's free) as you can print off the results, which run to two or three pages, and there is a set of details about everything from your app installation keys through to what updates and levels of software are installed.
Very useful if you need to re-install, eyc.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
Belarc Advisor would be a useful addition to your list (it's free) as you can print off the results, which run to two or three pages, and there is a set of details about everything from your app installation keys through to what updates and levels of software are installed.
Very useful if you need to re-install, eyc.
Thanks for that - it looks very handy. Should I use the free download or get it on Google Play?
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 08:43 PM

Another question for you please. I need to install a driver for my printer. I have the original CD, but the new computer doesn't have a CD drive. I've found a free download on http://www.printerdrivertm.xyz/epson...iver-download/ . Is that site generally thought to be okay? If so, which of those downloads should I have -
Free Download Full Version
Download for Windows
Windows 10 Driver
or
Download 64 Bit

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. Always appreciated.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 09:15 PM

Thanks for that - it looks very handy. Should I use the free download or get it on Google Play?
Only use the free one.

It's here:-

https://belarc-advisor.en.softonic.com/
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

04-01-2018, 09:24 PM

Another question for you please. I need to install a driver for my printer. I have the original CD, but the new computer doesn't have a CD drive. I've found a free download on http://www.printerdrivertm.xyz/epson...iver-download/ . Is that site generally thought to be okay? If so, which of those downloads should I have -
Free Download Full Version
Download for Windows
Windows 10 Driver
or
Download 64 Bit

Thanks again to everyone for all your help. Always appreciated.
When looking to get drivers I would advise going to the printer manufacturers's web page and getting it from them Epson link follows:-

https://www.epson.co.uk/support

Just type in the printer model & W10 32 or 64 bit.

If your new PC can do 64 bit always use that in the downloads. (It's faster)

Many of the other drivers type websites just lead you into a paying contract - not needed when the Printer company give you it for nowt!

i.e. Always use the web site of the Manufacturer to get their Drivers!
Tedc
Berkshire, UK

04-01-2018, 09:44 PM

Originally Posted by Judd ->
I don't know how you've got your PC's hard drive partitioned (divided into different sections) but mine has two partitions - the C: drive where Windows and the operating system is stored, and a D: drive where all by files, data, photos and music are stored. When I image my C: drive, the file is copied to the D: drive and there it can be stored safely but also copied to an external USB drive, that way, you always have two copies.

As an extra, if a file on your PC gets corrupted or lost and you want to replace it, the backup program allows you to `mount` the disk image as a virtual partition and you can copy it from there.
Hi Judd!

When I last looked, most laptop/notebook makers made a separate partition where they put the recovery stuff.
Don't know what happened to that!
I have seen a couple which were built with W7/8 and the sellers did not bother to change the recovery partition to W10 when they installed W10.

Must have a look into it - for interest.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

05-01-2018, 07:55 PM

Originally Posted by Tedc ->
When looking to get drivers I would advise going to the printer manufacturers's web page and getting it from them Epson link follows:-

https://www.epson.co.uk/support

Just type in the printer model & W10 32 or 64 bit.

If your new PC can do 64 bit always use that in the downloads. (It's faster)

Many of the other drivers type websites just lead you into a paying contract - not needed when the Printer company give you it for nowt!

i.e. Always use the web site of the Manufacturer to get their Drivers!
Many thanks for your help (again) - I've downloaded from the Epson website and will try and print something out tomorrow.

I ran the Belarc Advisor programme you suggested on my old computer and will print off the results tomorrow.......and also run it on the new computer - it looks a bit complex so hope you can help interpret if I don't understand.

Thanks again
Lindyloo
isle of wight

05-01-2018, 08:00 PM

Just a quick message to say huge thanks to everyone for all your help recently. I've now got a Recovery Media Creation on a new USB and installed various bits of software.......more to follow I think.

I'm amazed and really pleased to have done this myself - though I know I couldn't have managed without all the help and advice I've had on here.

I've taken a closer look at Office 2016 and now have Libre Office on order with Amazon - thanks to Judd for that advice - and have also got an external DVD drive on order too!

Thanks again - brilliant people on here.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top