Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:41 AM

Birmingham Dogs Home fraud

I didn't know about this until just now, but apparently the ex-Chief Executive Officer of Birmingham Dogs Home had his hands in the till until last year.

This man had been CEO for 13 years and was well like and trusted. So it was a shock to many when Simon Price was arrested on 10th Nov 2016 under suspicion of having stolen huge amounts of money from the charity - most of which semed to have come from supporters' legacies.

On 1st November 2017, almost a year since ebing first arrested, this man was at Birmingham Magistrates court, accused of 11 counts of fraud and one money-laundering offence.

Price pleased guilty to 10 counts of fraud, totalling over £640,000 !!! He had been writing fake invoices and paying money to himself for the last 4 years.

On 29th November, his wife, who used to be the charity's commercial manager, also admitted five counts of fraud totalling to about £243,000 - bringing the total of money stolen to almost £900,000.

The Judge adjourned the case, but has told them both to expect imprisonment.

What a pair of rats ey. All those animals they robbed.
Do we really know for sure where our charity donations go?
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:51 AM

Re: Birmingham Dogs Home fraud

Reading the website, they could have been raking it in from donations towards a new building after the original building was destroyed by fire in 2014 ? Maybe that was an insurance claim worth having ?

http://www.birminghamdogshome.org.uk/about-us
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 01:00 AM

Originally Posted by Puddle Duck;1307213[B
]Reading the website, they could have been raking it in from donations towards a new building [/B]after the original building was destroyed by fire in 2014 ? Maybe that was an insurance claim worth having ?

http://www.birminghamdogshome.org.uk/about-us

Who knows Puddles I'm just glad they both got caught, selfish, thieving buggers.

I remember that fire being in the news at the time.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 01:10 AM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
Who knows Puddles I'm just glad they both got caught, selfish, thieving buggers.

I remember that fire being in the news at the time.
Absolutely ! For all their devious ways, these people don't seem to realise that they WILL get caught eventually, and the longer it goes on for, the worse the sentence.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 01:19 AM

I don't understand why donate money to charities like this. if it is an animal charity why not donate food blankets and dogs needs such as paying for medical treatment, can't be that hard to arrange in a will. Alternatively leave the money in such a way they only get the interest on capital not the capital itself. That way they get regular small sums of cash and not one huge lump
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

04-01-2018, 01:33 AM

Ah, but pennies make pounds Bazza.
They might still have raked in a lot of money over the years, by taking smaller amounts from many, many people. Dunno.
Mondays child
United Kingdom
Mondays child is male  Mondays child has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:33 PM

My cousin was also involved with two large charities during his career. Both the charities were fronts for all sorts of goings on.

There must be some other way of helping rather than giving money to organisations who either divert it or squander it away rather than use it as the doner intended when giving.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:37 PM

Unfortunately there will always be fiddling within charities. It must have been particularly rife when people used to send cash in envelopes.

As you say Mups, it's a shame that so many animals missed out on that money. He should be made to pay every last penny back.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-01-2018, 12:50 PM

That's terrible I have my suspicions about several charities but no proof so I won't name them. I help a dog rescue we are none of us paid, we do pay for services, accountant, vet, groomer but that's only people are paid. All the other money not that there is much left after the vet bills is food, collars, harnesses, beds etc. All dogs leave with a new collar, disc, harness and lead.

Our vet works for free we just pay for his nurse if it's an operation and medications.

Our accountant charges for fees for making up books etc but generally he doesn't get paid wages as such.

All our fosterers pay for their own dog food unless the dog is on a special diet even then many won't take any money.

That's IMO how a charity should use donations.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top