Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 07:05 PM

Screen brightness

Using Chrome, when I opened an image this displayed correctly and clearly. However, when I closed the image the page behind seemed to be slightly darker and slowly brightened up again.

It's not a major problem, of course, but is intriguing and I cannot find any sort of explanation in the display settings.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thank you.
Sweetie pie
Chatterbox
Dorset
Sweetie pie is female  Sweetie pie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 07:51 PM

Re: Screen brightness

It has happened to me occasionally.
Not a clue why - Sorry
A thought - Refresh sorts it out.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 09:01 PM

could be a computer power problem. Presuming you have a desktop computer it might only have a 350w power unit like a lot of shop bought ones have. They can only handle so much load at any one time.
Or it could be on the graphics card side.

Do you have a lot of apps already on the computer taking up a lot of drive space.

Have you tried to defragment your computer or removed anything on prefetch.

have you got a lot in the rubbish bin (delete) taking up computer disk space

Maybe you have a lot of backups that are also taking up computer drive space

Then again it might be the monitor with a slow refresh rate

You don't give any details so it is hard to say it is this or that.
I could take you into settings but not knowing your computer or what platform you have I won't direct you there
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-01-2018, 09:56 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
could be a computer power problem. Presuming you have a desktop computer it might only have a 350w power unit like a lot of shop bought ones have. They can only handle so much load at any one time.
Or it could be on the graphics card side.

Do you have a lot of apps already on the computer taking up a lot of drive space.

Have you tried to defragment your computer or removed anything on prefetch.

have you got a lot in the rubbish bin (delete) taking up computer disk space

Maybe you have a lot of backups that are also taking up computer drive space

Then again it might be the monitor with a slow refresh rate

You don't give any details so it is hard to say it is this or that.
I could take you into settings but not knowing your computer or what platform you have I won't direct you there
Thanks for your help, Realspeed. Taking your points in order:

No, it's a laptop.

There are quite a few programmes installed, though only one or two are running at any one time. Here, I should mention that the hard drive is 1TB and the memory is 16GB.

No, as far as I know, Windows 10 defragments the drive automatically and it reports 0% fragmented. I don't know what 'prefetch' is!

Similarly, the rubbish bin was emptied not long ago.

No backups on the hard drive, only on external hard drives and the Cloud.

I'm afraid I don't know the refresh rate of the monitor and I don't know how to find out either!

Yes, I'd be grateful if you could advise me further regarding settings. This is a Toshiba Satellite P70-B-11P running Windows 10 64 bit. Display adapters: AMD Radeon R9 M365X and Intel HD Graphics 4600.

Thanks again, and I hope you can help!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 11:51 AM

Oh thought if you had a desktop but can't really help with laptop

here is the spec on yours

https://uk.hardware.info/product/323...specifications

Only check Ii can think of with power is .does it do the same thing with running on batteries fully charged as it does plugged into mains.

If there is a difference it could be the batteries need changing as that model is out of date
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-01-2018, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by JBR ->
Using Chrome, when I opened an image this displayed correctly and clearly. However, when I closed the image the page behind seemed to be slightly darker and slowly brightened up again.

It's not a major problem, of course, but is intriguing and I cannot find any sort of explanation in the display settings.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions, thank you.
Hi JBR!

Your PC has plenty of power (memory & Drive wise) and the problem is unlikely to be in there.

However, if I search the web, using "Chrome & Image Problems", there are a number of hits that I wasn't aware of.

One of them leads to some ways to get Chrome set up properly:-

https://www.pcworld.com/article/3160...-fix-them.html

PC world is not always my first choice support - but this seems to be a reasonable way to start.

I'd focus on Chrome & see if any other apps have the same problem.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-01-2018, 12:18 PM

TEDc
I bow to your greater understanding of laptops having never actually owned one but replaced a couple of parts on my wifes AppleMac laptop.

i didn't want to lead JBR down the settings route as it is too easy to tick the wrong boxes as suggested in that link you gave. Best to make a note of which was ticked or unticked or being altered first
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-01-2018, 12:31 PM

OK, I cleared browsing data as one of you suggested, without any detrimental outcomes.
Sorry, I don't know which of you wrote those instructions because since I have logged on again that post has disappeared!
I'll look through the other suggestions which have come up now!
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast

09-01-2018, 12:34 PM

I removed them as I didn't now how good you are with fault finding sorry. also i didn't realise you only had a laptop.

To me a laptop is a pain in the backside. There is so little one can do to upgrade internal parts or repair. With a desktop everything is easily fixed internally

For example on the one I built I have since replaced the
DVD/CD drive to a silent one
replaced the case fans to silent running
upped the power unit to 750w
added more RAM
change drive "C" to an SSD against that terrible hard drive
Added a backup internal drive. Added a graphic card and sound card
replaced the top USB ports as they broke
plus a bit more no doubt

You can't do this with a laptop you are stuck with what you buy
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

09-01-2018, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
Oh thought if you had a desktop but can't really help with laptop

here is the spec on yours

https://uk.hardware.info/product/323...specifications

Only check Ii can think of with power is .does it do the same thing with running on batteries fully charged as it does plugged into mains.

If there is a difference it could be the batteries need changing as that model is out of date
When I unplug the power supply and run on batteries, the screen becomes darker, but that is because I set those preferences earlier in order to save battery power.

I don't run it on batteries usually; always plugged in.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top