Join for free
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 09:01 AM

Probiotics to take on holiday

Last year I managed to succumb to travellers diarrhoea on two holidays. On one occasion a pharmacist sold me some probiotics as medication and they really helped. This year I want to try and avoid the problem, so am thinking that probiotics taken before and during a holiday may help but am confused by all the blurb .......... and the cost can be huge!!!

I'm looking at buying Bio-Kult which claim: "Scientifically developed, advanced multi-strain formula containing 14 live bacterial cultures which are proven to survive the high acidity of the stomach
Total viable count guaranteed to the end of the 2 year shelf life
Can be stored at room temperature without the need for refrigeration"

I also looked at a cheaper brand which need to be kept refrigerated - so I contact the seller and said I wouldn't access to a fridge.......eventually I was told if they would deteriorate if kept in the warm, but it probably wouldn't matter just for a few weeks!!!

Any advice?
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 10:11 AM

Re: Probiotics to take on holiday

Hi Lindy, I have bought from these people inn the past, and they used to advise over the phone, not sure if they still do, but worth trying.
They have a good variety of products to choose from, and will mail order for you:

http://supplements.highernature.co.u...h#w=probiotics
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 02:23 PM

When we went to India, we took pro-biotic tablets available from Boots for a couple of months before and after. Also had pro-biotic yoghurts. We were the only couple that didn't get the squits.
Lindyloo
isle of wight
Lindyloo is female  Lindyloo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 04:56 PM

Thanks Mups and Longdogs..........you've both convinced me they are worth taking......and the yoghurts too. I'll be getting in touch with your contact very soon Mups.

Thanks again
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
When we went to India, we took pro-biotic tablets available from Boots for a couple of months before and after. Also had pro-biotic yoghurts. We were the only couple that didn't get the squits.
I didnŽt take anything when we went to India, but my main drink whilst there was lassie, I love the stuff. I also was the only one who wasnŽt ill. I doubt the lassi was made with proŽbiotics though.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

15-01-2018, 06:36 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
I didnŽt take anything when we went to India, but my main drink whilst there was lassie, I love the stuff. I also was the only one who wasnŽt ill. I doubt the lassi was made with proŽbiotics though.
Lassi also helped me after falling ill in India. It's either a yoghurt or some form of curd drink - so yes, probiotics!

I'll be touring Vietnam and Cambodia so not sure if I can get a lassi drink there.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 06:47 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->

I agree with Dongles, start taking them well in advance.
Lindyloo
isle of wight

15-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Should be arriving tomorrow so will start taking them then. Thanks for all your help.
clumsy
Chatterbox
Spain
clumsy is female  clumsy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-01-2018, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Lindyloo ->
Lassi also helped me after falling ill in India. It's either a yoghurt or some form of curd drink - so yes, probiotics!

I'll be touring Vietnam and Cambodia so not sure if I can get a lassi drink there.
You can always make your own Lindyloo. There are many recipes for lassi. I have an Indian friend who makes wonderful ones, but this one is simple and nice.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lassi
Lindyloo
isle of wight

15-01-2018, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by clumsy ->
You can always make your own Lindyloo. There are many recipes for lassi. I have an Indian friend who makes wonderful ones, but this one is simple and nice.

https://www.wikihow.com/Make-Lassi
Thanks Clumsy. My normal diet is very low fat and low sugar............so that recipe is a complete no no...........but on holiday anything goes (which is why I'm always on a diet at home!).

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top