Join for free
Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 02:21 PM

Re: Plastic waste, how do we get rid of it?

Originally Posted by Rehab44 ->
Instead of the rolls of plastic bags in the fruit and veg aisle why not brown paper bags like we used to have?
Because then the other debate comes back...we're felling too many trees. The environment loses both waya.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 03:29 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
Because then the other debate comes back...we're felling too many trees. The environment loses both waya.
That's very true and I would like to see a stop to all the leaflets that get delivered to homes, only to go straight in the bin.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 03:31 PM

Now that China has banned taking any plastic waste, we should ban any Chinese imports that contain plastic.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Now that China has banned taking any plastic waste, we should ban any Chinese imports that contain plastic.
Should we send back our laptops and phones?
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-01-2018, 04:24 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Should we send back our laptops and phones?
Only when they stop working.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
How come we get soft drinks in cans such as Coke, Fanta etc, and also beer in cans and glass bottles as well?
Why doesn't bottled water come in cans too?

Or perhaps we can use the milk-type cartons?
Having drunk canned water my answer to that is they need to make it taste more like just water, for some reason water in a can has a nasty metallic taste. Something other drinks don't suffer from.

I think we could recycle a lot of these plastics ourselves. Our bottles we cut in half and drill holes in the bottom, plant pot plus watering funnel ! Our carrier bags we cut into strips and either plait and sew or weave into mats rugs etc. The strips can be knitted into bags too. I've carried a bag knitted from posh carrier bags for a few years instead of paying for a handbag that isn't right size and shape for me.

There are loads of ways to use these things if we put a bit of thought into it.

I always carry a bottle of water but it's refilled at home I only change the bottle if it gets too battered to be leak proof.

The main reason we don't have paper bags is felling forests of trees became unpopular.
The main reason we don't use glass is energy needed to create a bottle and recycle it became too expensive and unpopular again to produce.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 04:28 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Why should they take our waste ? We should be using it and disposing of it ourselves not filling another country like its a waste bin.
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-01-2018, 07:47 PM

Some may not like it but the power of social media ,in this case, Facebook, is probably the best platform to get results or support.

Posted 1 hour ago and Likes= 2.8k Shares = 1,679. Don't know how many comments, I think it's stopped counting !

See their video on plastics

https://www.facebook.com/WWFUnitedKi...WA-HEw&fref=nf
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England

11-01-2018, 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Why should they take our waste ? We should be using it and disposing of it ourselves not filling another country like its a waste bin.
I do agree with you but they seem to have just suddenly dumped it on us, literally. I think they could have given us more warning.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

12-01-2018, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Having drunk canned water my answer to that is they need to make it taste more like just water, for some reason water in a can has a nasty metallic taste. Something other drinks don't suffer from.

I think we could recycle a lot of these plastics ourselves. Our bottles we cut in half and drill holes in the bottom, plant pot plus watering funnel ! Our carrier bags we cut into strips and either plait and sew or weave into mats rugs etc. The strips can be knitted into bags too. I've carried a bag knitted from posh carrier bags for a few years instead of paying for a handbag that isn't right size and shape for me.

There are loads of ways to use these things if we put a bit of thought into it.

I always carry a bottle of water but it's refilled at home I only change the bottle if it gets too battered to be leak proof.

The main reason we don't have paper bags is felling forests of trees became unpopular.
The main reason we don't use glass is energy needed to create a bottle and recycle it became too expensive and unpopular again to produce.
Thanks Julie, wise words

Page 2 of 3 < 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top