Join for free
Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 02:50 PM

Re: Where you live.

I live 3 x miles outside the ancient walled city of York - which used to be very beautiful - now it is given over to cheap chain stores, coffee shops and trashy tourist souvenir shops. We have a council whose interest in it's citizens begins and ends with the Council Tax. Tourists Rule!

We are, however, blessed with wonderful museums. The Kirk Museum now combined with the Debtors Prison is a constant source of wonder. The Yorkshire Museum, set in the Botanical gardens, is also worth a visit. When I was a child it was mainly given over to Natural History - now it is full of interesting Roman and Viking artifacts. There are also many exhibitions that come and go there throughout the year.

Within Monkgate Bar we have a museum devoted to Richard III. A popular King in this corner of the world. He was neither hunchback nor murderer - don't ever question that in the museum - you may never be seen again !

In Peaseholme Green we have a Quilting Museum.

And let us not forget the wonderful National Railway Museum - I can spend days in there it is so fascinating. We have the beautiful 'Mallard' and I think we still have 'Hogwarts Express' - but it does tend to come and go. TopTip: take your own picnic or eat in town - the catering at the museum is expensive and foul.

Most of our local industries are gone - the carriage works, the sugar beet factory, most of the sweet/chocolate factories - I think it is called progress.

We have a superb Art Gallery and many Libraries around the town.

York is also a good launch pad to other places with regular buses/trains to the coast (Scarborough/Whitby/Bridlington, up onto the moors/dales for the walkers, or to Harrogate/Ripon for the shopaholics.

Yorkshire is the largest county and certainly one of the most beautiful. It has a lot to offer for the visitors, and is a lovely place to live.
Adanac
canada
Adanac is female  Adanac has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 03:02 PM

I live in two places, one an apartment and the other a summer place both in what is known as the 100 mile peninsula.

http://www.retirehere.ca/heck-100-mile-peninsula/
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 03:24 PM

I live in Swim's old stomping ground on the outskirts of a major Yorkshire conurbation. Vast swathes of countryside to the top of the village and more densely populated at the bottom. I live near the top and when it snows, it snows. I could drive down to my mum's who lives in the valley with a snow topped van or car and all the `lowlanders` stand there gawping like I'm in some kind of igloo on wheels because the snow doesn't affect them down there.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:17 PM

My house is in a tiny hamlet at the foot of the Malverns not far from the river Severn . It has a Village Hall and a church used for weddings and funerals mainly , a bus shelter but no busses and a telephone kiosk without a telephone.

It is very pretty being in a designated 'Area of outstanding natural beauty' . I have lots of neighbours in the form of sheep and the odd human too.

My nearest town is well know for Mineral Water, The Water Cure , Public Schools, Morgan Cars , the home of Radar and as a retirement destination. It is mainly agricultural land but we do have some State of the Art technology companies here.

It is not my place of birth but I have made it my home..

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010065.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	4933   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010010.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	4934  
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:18 PM

I live on the outskirts of Hull, near Beverley.
Hull has seen a remarkable transformation in the past few years, and like anywhere it has its good and bad points.
We're doing well with the City of Culture last year, which has seen the city host some excellent events and we hold that title for another couple of years.
We have a couple of top flight rugby league teams and Hull City (which we won't talk too much about at present!)

Mr Magoo
London
Mr Magoo is male  Mr Magoo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 05:25 PM

We have lived for 53 years in a leafy suburb in North London. It’s all semi detached if you know what I mean. Two lots of shops within walking distance. A short car drive takes us to all sorts of places. Ten minute’s walk gets us to the London Underground and another 20 on the tube gets us into Central London.
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 06:00 PM

Silver tabby beat me to it, I too live about 3 miles from York, in one of the burbs, not too bad around here, local shops are ok, with an absolutely fantastic butchers, I love wandering around the town doing the touristy thing from time to time, although it takes some skill to avoid the tourists and students, not a bad place, traffics horrible though
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
Silver tabby beat me to it, I too live about 3 miles from York, in one of the burbs, not too bad around here, local shops are ok, with an absolutely fantastic butchers, I love wandering around the town doing the touristy thing from time to time, although it takes some skill to avoid the tourists and students, not a bad place, traffics horrible though
and the parking is even worse !!
Primus1
York
Primus1 is male  Primus1 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
and the parking is even worse !!
You mean the A64 hop grove roundabout on a bank holiday, or the A1237 outer ring road at anytime ?
Norway
i
Norway is male  Norway has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 07:02 PM

I live in a small hamlet in Western Norway Called Myklebust. It has a permanent population of 39. 4 farms each with around 12 cattle, two farms also have sheep.
We have no shop , our nearest is 7 miles away. Nearest town about 30 miles
We have a lake approx 10 miles long and about 1 mile at its widest. It is used for Fishing and has some of the best Lake Trout in Norway.At the moment we have one neighbour about 10 mins walk .. We will have a another one maybe in 12 months , he is still having his house built. It is enormous, but he has the money and doesnt know what to do with it. I did give him some suggestions but he wasnt very receptive to them .
Our Doctor is in Skei at the end of the Lake . There is also a nice Hotel looking down the length of the lake " SKei Hotel "
Not much more I can say about it other than it is quiet , and set in a beautiful surrounding
Two pictures , one looking across the lake and one of santas Reindeer

Attached Thumbnails (Click to enlarge)
Click image for larger version

Name:	006-263.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	4937   Click image for larger version

Name:	228.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	4939  

Page 2 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top