Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 07:43 PM

Re: Where you live.

Originally Posted by Primus1 ->
You mean the A64 hop grove roundabout on a bank holiday, or the A1237 outer ring road at anytime ?
All of them!
lovemyboys
Chatterbox
Canada
lovemyboys is female  lovemyboys has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 09:08 PM

We live in a valley between two small towns.
No shops here, but scenery and wildlife galore.
The nearest town is known for its river, and salmon fishing.
The 'spirit bear' or Kermode bear can also be found in the region.
The whole area is heavily forested. So not surprisingly, logging was the main industry, but a lot of the mills have closed down. Many now travel south to Kitimat to work at Alcan.
There are some rich ore deposits in the region, so mining is getting bigger.
The winters can be long, and sometimes rough, but we love it here.

doctor
west wales
doctor is male  doctor has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 09:50 PM

I live in a hamlet of 10 houses,on the outskirts of mynyddygarreg,,3 miles from the town of kidwelly,nothing goes on here,kidwelly has the old docks,and canels,next to kidwelly is pembrey,beaches and country park.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-01-2018, 10:55 PM

I live on another planet from most people here. Or sometimes it seems that way!
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:24 AM

What are the neighbours like Annie?
Would it be worth me thumbing a lift next time you do an inter-planetary hop.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:32 AM

Se and I now live within walking distance of our little village, not much in it really shop wise apart from estate agents. One side a couple of miles away we have the English Channel. Not far from the south downs. Plenty of castles dotted about to stop invasion from you know who in the past. The village is being blighted by house builders not far away but out of sight are 450 homes being built.The infrastructure can't cope school wise or DR wise let alone the extra traffic
As I said we are far enough away so it doesn't affect us directly.

One thing that is unique is where our house is situated You have heard of the Battle of Hastings only about 10 miles or less from here . But what is not known is that here in 1065 is where King Harold recruited his army in Little Common more or less where our house now stands.

It is well known locally that the first recruit was an axe thrower. King Harold asked how good he was .

Axe man " Sire I am the best axe thrower in your kingdom"

King H "well if your that good slice a twig off that tree 30 yards away"

So the axe man threw his axe and sliced off that twig.
King H " yes you are very good you can be one of my personal body guards"

Next one who wanted to join up was a spear thrower
King H "how good are you throwing a spear"?
Spear throw said "Sire I am the best spear thrower in your kingdom"
King H " well throw a spear right through the hole in the trunk of a tree 30 yards away"

Well the spear thrower did exactly that
King H said " yes you are the best you too can be one of my personal .body guards"

The next one was the village idiot. So King Harold asked if he had ever used a weapon

"No sire" he said " Alls I does is looks after them sheeps and cows in them there fields"

So King Harold gave him a bow and arrow .
Well the village idiot fired the arrow and it bounced off 2 trees and returned in a kinda arc

King Harold said " put him at the back of the army before he has someones eye out"
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 12:46 AM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
What are the neighbours like Annie?
Would it be worth me thumbing a lift next time you do an inter-planetary hop.
The neighbours are a bit spaced-out Morti so I fit right in!

You're welcome to use my tandem space hopper if you're feeling brave, although I haven't quite got the hang of the navigational controls so I never know quite where I am going to end up.....

Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 01:09 AM

Bah ... who cares about navigation! Live dangerously I say
I'll ride pillion with a big hatpin and give that hopper a big prick ... we'll arrive at Venus in time for tea, just grab me if I fall off the back there's enough junk orbiting Earth as it is.
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 04:59 AM

Fascinating thread! What lovely and interesting places in which you all live, and I have pored over your descriptions.

I am currently living in a seaside community near what was the first European settlement in what is now the U.S. mainland, by the Spanish, 1559. Protective and navigable bays and waterways made the area highly desirable to early fleets seeking timber and other trade items.

Native Indians settled here thousands of years ago and were drawn to the temperate weather and the abundance of shrimp, oysters, mullet, and fish. Our house lies on a settlement where more than 10,000 natives once lived. Today fewer than 500 of us living along the river, where some oysters and shrimp shipped all over the country are harvested.

Geologically, the beaches were formed from downriver sediment of almost pure quartz, making them among the whitest in the world.

Ecologically, there are an extraordinary number of plant and animal species here, including Atlantic bottlenose dolphins that often sleep and hunt in the brackish estuarial river behind the house, and we are occasionally visited by manatees in the winter.

Most of the trees here are pines, river oaks, palmettos, and magnolias.

This area has exploded in development and is not quite the quiet, quaint place that it used to be, and is slowly becoming overrun with giant condominium projects and souvenir shops due to unbridled growth. Nothing to do but adapt.

The economy is primarily supported by the military and tourism. As such we have a diverse population, a great music scene, theater and arts. There are many restaurants, though most offerings are not surprisingly - seafood.

The downtown area is of a similar architectural character to New Orleans and lies on a small port that is protected by another large barrier island.

Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-01-2018, 07:41 AM

Great photos, Surfermom, that beach looks like snow!

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top