Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:09 PM

Calling fellow 'foodies' - suggestions required

Currently, bubbling away at the bottom of the oven, is a large casserole of Boef Bourguignonne, with lovely chunks of braising steak (reduced at tesco cos it was going brown, best time to buy imho), a dozen tiny round onions (they go all sweet and soft and delicious), and sliced mushroom. My dilemma? well do I have it with baked King Edwards? or boiled Jersey Royals? along with carrots and broccoli?

Answers before 18.30 please
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:17 PM

Re: Calling fellow 'foodies' - suggestions required

Originally Posted by daisymay ->
Currently, bubbling away at the bottom of the oven, is a large casserole of Boef Bourguignonne, with lovely chunks of braising steak (reduced at tesco cos it was going brown, best time to buy imho), a dozen tiny round onions (they go all sweet and soft and delicious), and sliced mushroom. My dilemma? well do I have it with baked King Edwards? or boiled Jersey Royals? along with carrots and broccoli?

Steamed veg and (if you have them) sweet potatoes - you'll need some parsnips, carrots, leeks, swede. and celeriac.
Alan Cooke
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire, UK
Alan Cooke is male  Alan Cooke has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:29 PM

IMO Jersey Royals are the best. We had them for lunch today..........delicious !
daisymay
South Wales Valleys
daisymay is female  daisymay has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:31 PM

UJ the question was baked or new potatoes, and had stated was serving carrots and broccoli, not parsnips, nor leeks (did you not note the dozen or more onions already in the casserole?) hate celeriac, (aniseed is fine in sweeties and alcohol but as a veg yuck).
Uncle Joe
Chatterbox
Brighton UK
Uncle Joe is male  Uncle Joe has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:36 PM

UJ the question was baked or new potatoes, and had stated was serving carrots and broccoli, not parsnips, nor leeks (did you not note the dozen or more onions already in the casserole?) hate celeriac, (aniseed is fine in sweeties and alcohol but as a veg yuck).

Aniseed??? - Celeriac is the root bowl of celery - makes a delightful flavour to accompany your casserole.. and 'sweet' potatoes too - steamed and mashed with a knob of butter and some black pepper - prefect.
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

03-06-2014, 04:48 PM

Actually UJ celeriac is merely related to celery but not the same plant at all. And sorry, was thinking of fennel when said about aniseed. However, dislike the texture of sweet potato, too soft and 'slimy' for me, although am tempted to one day try using them for chips which I have heard are delicious.
Grumblewagon
Aberdeenshire
Grumblewagon is male  Grumblewagon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:50 PM

We may be miles apart politically, but I do support UJ's suggestions - Celeriac (are you confusing it with fennel?) and sweet potatoes - good call Geoff.

However, that wasn't your question, so I'd definitely have the Baked potato option. I hope you used a good robust wine and a good bouquet garni.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 04:52 PM

Can't beat new potatoes at this time of year (in answer to the actual question LOL).
daisymay
South Wales Valleys

03-06-2014, 04:54 PM

No wine, a nice cuppa afterwards though, and now am worse off cos there seems to be a vote for each, bugger! no good will have to give my son the final vote .
Honey
Chatterbox
Lancashire
Honey is female  Honey has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

03-06-2014, 05:14 PM

I would have it with baked potatoes, it would be a shame to slather Jersey's in gravy, they're best served with a little butter

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top