Join for free
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:41 PM

Obesity

Had lots of different views from friends so thought id ask here.

With obesity costing the NHS 5 billion + per year, should it be compulsory for obese people to attended weight loss programs?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 04:53 PM

Re: Obesity

In one word NO !

I had to be at the right point in my life to make the changes I needed and it's never going to work if you compel anyone before they are in their minds ready. Also what would this compulsion be ? starve a person to submission ? Could we really sanction that ?
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:16 PM

Are you suggesting that it be compulsory to lose weight? Or that obese people must be so stupid that the only way to get them to lose weight is to attend a programme?

Genuinely interested in the response.

Originally Posted by Marki ->

With obesity costing the NHS 5 billion + per year, should it be compulsory for obese people to attended weight loss programs?
Marki
East Midlands -UK
Marki is male  Marki has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Are you suggesting that it be compulsory to lose weight? Or that obese people must be so stupid that the only way to get them to lose weight is to attend a programme?

Genuinely interested in the response.
Certainly not!! My post suggests that im seeking genuine debate. Its no good getting touchy, simply take the question on face value.
Baxter8
Somerset
Baxter8 is female  Baxter8 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 05:44 PM

Not getting touchy at all - but you have to admit it is an pertinent question I pose? How can the question be taken at face value - it's a multi-layered question. with several implications. What if the obese are forced along to weightloss programmes but don't follow the advice or what if they are absent from class? What happens then?

It reminds me of making the long-term unemployed turn up every single day to the job centre, the figures aren't out yet as to the effectiveness but I am going to suggest they aren't going to be good.

Certainly not!! My post suggests that im seeking genuine debate. Its no good getting touchy, simply take the question on face value.
Marki
East Midlands -UK

28-05-2014, 06:04 PM

Originally Posted by Baxter8 ->
Not getting touchy at all - but you have to admit it is an pertinent question I pose? How can the question be taken at face value - it's a multi-layered question. with several implications. What if the obese are forced along to weightloss programmes but don't follow the advice or what if they are absent from class? What happens then?

It reminds me of making the long-term unemployed turn up every single day to the job centre, the figures aren't out yet as to the effectiveness but I am going to suggest they aren't going to be good.
This very subject is all over the news as well as other forums. It appears to me that obesity is a very touchy subject. Took some thinking about before posting on here for obvious reasons. The fact this is an over 50's forum, one assumes people will rise above any finger-pointing and discuss the overall well being of the population, as well as the unsustainable cost to the taxpayer.

As far as the long-term unemployed issue, Imho, the harder they have it the better chance of them becoming fed-up with the hassle and will go get a job.
stevmk2
Milton Keynes
stevmk2 is male  stevmk2 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:07 PM

There was the threat of doing something like this to smokers and the same response applies I think in our country - No.

People often bemoan what they see as the Nanny State or Big Brother State if you like and neither has any place in our society yet some appear to want it or think it's a good idea but for others, not for themselves!

Yes, we all known that the media merry-go-round of what cost us in the UK billions usually comes back to Obesity after a short break and it is time this whole thing was properly discussed - by government and the Medical profession.

Because: -

Scare stories don't work.

TV adverts don't work.

Telling people this / that is bad for you doesn't work.

Obviously what is needed and will work is an targeted, educational programme aimed at HELPING those that need to lose weight on Health grounds and it needs one specific thing from our government to work - MONEY.

Surely someone in a position of power must see that to reduce the burden on the NHS and the taxpayer, money has to be spent with the long-term aim of gradually reducing the costs of Obesity to all of us.

There really is no other way and to suggest that our hard-pressed NHS or GPs could do it without huge injections of cash is laughable! stevmk2
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:07 PM

You can only advise people about diet/exercise etc., - you cannot compel them to follow the advice. Why should the NHS be responsible for peoples life style choices anyway? I have to say I disagree with the latest idea of the NHS paying for people to attend 'Weight Watchers Clubs/Programmes'. That, in my opinion, is misuse of NHS funds.
AudreyII
USA
AudreyII is female  AudreyII has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

28-05-2014, 06:11 PM

I believe that good weight loss and nutrition programs be made available free of charge and in convenient locations. As for compulsary? NO.. NO..NO...

Believe it or not, Most of the morbidly obese are from the lower sociaoeconomic population. People that are either unaware of healthy alternatives OR are simply too poor to afford them. Starches such as pasta and rice are cheap and go a long way. It's also cultural.. Speaking about here in the States, most poor rural whites and poor inner city Blacks were raised on fried foods as well as cheaper cuts and organ meats. There is also a propensity to overuse salt. So I guess what I am saying is that some education would help.
Baxter8
Somerset

28-05-2014, 06:16 PM

Gosh how do I convince you (1) I'm not getting touchy (2) I'm not finger pointing and yes I'm over 50.

My point in your debate is this - how could forcing the obese along to weight loss programmes bring down the obesity problem - unless they were extremely stupid and had no knowledge of weight loss techniques - which is, you have to admit, highly unlikely given that there are 000s of TV programmes, magazine and newspaper articles on the subject. I wonder if it's a personal choice the obese are exercising - i.e eating unhealthily because they want to?

My second point is how on earth would such a conscription work - would the GP identify them, then report them and wait for the obese police to call on them and frog march them to the weightloss class?

My third point is how would you identify them? BMI - so a lot of rugby players would be forced to attend.

See I told you I'm not touchy about it - I'm debating it like an adult.

This very subject is all over the news as well as other forums. It appears to me that obesity is a very touchy subject. Took some thinking about before posting on here for obvious reasons. The fact this is an over 50's forum, one assumes people will rise above any finger-pointing and discuss the overall well being of the population, as well as the unsustainable cost to the taxpayer.

As far as the long-term unemployed issue, Imho, the harder they have it the better chance of them becoming fed-up with the hassle and will go get a job.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top