Join for free
Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4
Magic
United States
Magic is female  Magic has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 06:52 PM

Re: 15 new babies

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->
We got 2 dogs as well ...lol they get on well together ...they have both learnt what they can do with the rats cos the have both been bitten .....
When my children were young we always had pets. We've had Hamster's, Gerbil's and Gunie-pig's and when I think about it I guess Rat's are in the same family. We also had dog's and through the years different types of pet's.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

19-06-2014, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by AutumnColour ->
UK, our females are all about 6 months old, still young, but I'm concerned about the time when they're going to get the dreaded tumours, benign or not. Have you had that problem with your girls when they get old?
Our males don't get those tumours.
Yes we have had that problem ...My daughter keeps females and i keep males ..It is true the females tend to get more tumours , the are usually mammary tumours but I have had some beautiful boys who have also got them ...we normally leave them until the are inhibiting movement or causing distress, when that happens its a trip to the vets ...
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 01:11 AM

Oh no Julie, I just meant in the context of feeding live ones to snakes, etc. Stressing the hell out of an innocent creature when they know they're trapped with a predator & can't get out, that is sick! People own snakes & with it comes extreme cruelty. I think keeping a snake constantly coiled up in a fish tank is also cruel, so there.
I absolutely agree with you, keeping any animal in a cage whether it is a snake, a bear, a rat or a bird is abhorrent.
AutumnColour
Chatterbox
Trent Hills, Ontario
AutumnColour is female  AutumnColour has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 02:22 AM

????

Many animals think of their cages as their den, their safe place, just like you think of your home as a safe place.

The thing is making sure the cage/pen, whatever is large, not the crap cages they sell at pet stores! I've made my own rabbit, guinea pig pens & you can walk into them, the door is left open, half the time the animals don't even care about traipsing out. I know ours get plenty of exercise.

Our birds are free flight, they go into their (large) cages all by their lonesomes.
They know it's the end of the day & time for beddy bye.

Our rescue hamsters each have cages that are 30"x12" long. They also get to run around the bathroom for more exercise. Ever seen the sh***y little hamster starter cages people keep these animals in? About 12" x 8".

Let's see.....oh yeah, our rats are also in large cages with hammocks, things to climb around, exercise every evening outside of their cage.

So yes Bruce, cages are abhorrent but only with people that buy from pet stores & never let them out.

I think ours have it pretty good, considering the conditions they've come from, come to think of it better than some owners who think they're doing a good job too, so there
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

20-06-2014, 07:02 AM

????

Many animals think of their cages as their den, their safe place, just like you think of your home as a safe place.
There been occasions where we have accidentally left a cage open , but we have still found our rats still inside ....they do come out regularly for exercise and have a free run ...when they are out they will make their own way back to their cages when they are ready..These animals are highly intelligent and if they didn't like their cages they would not go into them under their own free will...Besides these animals are not 'wild' they are domesticated an behave like dogs, they know who their owners are and respond to them , they cannot be released into the wild as they would not survive....

Page 4 of 4 « First < 2 3 4

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top