Join for free
Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 03:23 PM

Re: Diabetes.

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Malcolm, you say you don't have any symptoms, but you must have, if you are Diabetic, you must be going for a pee all the time especially at night time, and you must get thirsty?
Those are the symptoms of Type1 Diabetes Susie !
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
Those are the symptoms of Type1 Diabetes Susie !
And for many of us type two too.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 04:05 PM

Really Malcom, I must admit I am Type I, but I have just looked at the Diabetes.co.uk website and it says Type II have these symptons as well.
Maddy
somewwhere.....
Maddy is female  Maddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 04:48 PM

my hubby is up every nite to loo ..he has type 2 ...but he dont get the thirst now hes on medications ...
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by susiejaeger ->
Really Malcom, I must admit I am Type I, but I have just looked at the Diabetes.co.uk website and it says Type II have these symptons as well.
There can be a very narrow dividing line between Type 2 and Type 1 Diabetes.
Type 1 is when your pancreas stops producing Insulin
Type 2 is when your body slows down insulin production or does not produce the enzymes required to process the insulin which is still being produced or is generally a combination of the two.
Type2 in about 40% of patients progresses over time to Type1 where your body does not produce Insulin at all and therefore daily injections of synthetic insulin become necessary.
So someone with Type2 whose blood sugar HBA1c test indicates very high levels of sugar can display the early signs of Progression to Type 1 and the accompanying symptoms.
However in Julie's case her HBA1c test must be just normal or just above normal in order to require no medication at all and her home blood sugar test would be in the normal range of 4 to 8mmls (if her physician had felt it necessary to dispense a blood sugar monitoring kit, which he clearly did not)
There would be many other reasons for people to display diabetic symptoms and a GP would ensure that blood tests were conducted to verify or eliminate the diabetic condition along with several other standard tests for other factors.
I hope this is the end of this Diabetes thread.....!
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 05:07 PM

Or perhaps I just listened to the advice as soon as it was suggested and took dramatic lengths with my diet to keep myself well without meds. I only have to eat an extra slice of bread a day to see my blood sugars rise, I therefore don't eat anything can cause me problems.
Along with my allergies it means a very restricted diet but worth it to keep of medications.

My mum did the opposite and ate what she wanted while consuming the drugs, not sure that is wise but people are allowed to deal with their diabetes as they wish.

And sadly some even with diet or drugs can't keep their sugar levels down.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 05:23 PM

Let me add my bit here. The symptoms of being thirsty or needing to pee in the night are caused by your blood sugar levels being higher than they should, whether you are type 1 or 2. When the blood sugars are high your body tries to dispense with them, via your urine... hence the need to pee more often. This means that you use the water your body needs and therefore become thirsty. Type 2 diabetics can be treated with adjustments to their diet but, if your pancreas starts to produce less insulin, Metformin tablets are needed because they help the insulin, you do produce, to work better, along with a balanced carbohydrate diet to suit your needs.
If you are type 1 or progress to type 1 you need to inject insulin at a dose that will balance with you carbohydrate intake. All diabetics need to keep their blood sugar at a decent level ( a blood test machine really helps with this if you are on insulin) because if you don't, the side effects of high blood sugar will cause the same problems whether you are type 1 or 2. I have been type 1 for over 30 years and have a lot of knowledge and experience on this subject so, if anybody has any worries feel free to pm me.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

25-02-2016, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Or perhaps I only have to eat an extra slice of bread a day to see my blood sugars rise

How on God's earth do you know that when you don't have a blood glucose monitoring kit ?
What does the level rise from and to ?
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey

25-02-2016, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
How on God's earth do you know that when you don't have a blood glucose monitoring kit ?
What does the level rise from and to ?
You are making assumptions there I have a kit I had to purchase it myself as nhs didn't provide one at the time but I use it when I feel off or couple of times a week just to make sure I am on the right course.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK

25-02-2016, 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Let me add my bit here. The symptoms of being thirsty or needing to pee in the night are caused by your blood sugar levels being higher than they should, whether you are type 1 or 2. When the blood sugars are high your body tries to dispense with them, via your urine... hence the need to pee more often. This means that you use the water your body needs and therefore become thirsty. Type 2 diabetics can be treated with adjustments to their diet but, if your pancreas starts to produce less insulin, Metformin tablets are needed because they help the insulin, you do produce, to work better, along with a balanced carbohydrate diet to suit your needs.
If you are type 1 or progress to type 1 you need to inject insulin at a dose that will balance with you carbohydrate intake. All diabetics need to keep their blood sugar at a decent level ( a blood test machine really helps with this if you are on insulin) because if you don't, the side effects of high blood sugar will cause the same problems whether you are type 1 or 2. I have been type 1 for over 30 years and have a lot of knowledge and experience on this subject so, if anybody has any worries feel free to pm me.
Bearing in mind that the normal blood glucose reading in normal people with no Diabetes is between 4 and 8 mmls what do you consider to be a high reading where symptoms would appear ?

Page 7 of 10 « First < 5 6 7 8 9 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top