Join for free
Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 07:39 PM

Re: Diabetes.

I don't understand these readings because mine is 42 and I'm borderline diabetic. Mine must have been a different test altogether I guess.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
I don't understand these readings because mine is 42 and I'm borderline diabetic. Mine must have been a different test altogether I guess.
If you don't understand any reading they give you, ask what it is and what it means. If you have the name of the reading and what it is measuring you can always look it up on the internet....and you have every right to have it explained to you by the person who gave you the reading. Diabetes is a self help illness so they can't expect you to manage it if they don't explain everything to you.
Val J
East Yorkshire
Val J is female  Val J has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 08:30 PM

Hi Twink, well I thought I did understand until I saw all the lower readings on here. However I have an appointment with the diabetes nurse in a couple of weeks so maybe she will explain why my reading is different.

Ha !! I've just found this on Diabetes UK, a conversion chart!

HbA1c results
You will now be getting used to seeing your HbA1c results reported using the IFCC (International Federation of Clinical Chemistry) reference measurement procedure of mmol/mol.

(%) (mmol/mol)
6.0 42
6.5 48
7.0 53
7.5 58
8.0 64
9.0 75
orangutan
Chatterbox
Another world
orangutan is female  orangutan has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:02 PM

Originally Posted by Malc.27 ->
Malcolm you are beginning to annoy me now!!!
I also have a meter ( which I paid for myself) and I check occasionally to monitor my bg levels.
My last HbA1c test was 7.9 The one before that , about 20 months ago, was 7.6.

I don't believe that those readings are exceptionally high, for a type 2 not on any medication!
I believe that you THINK you know more about this subject than you actually DO.

Malc.
Yep. I totally agree with your last statement. As my father used to say, "Ignorance is not not knowing, but not knowing and not wanting to know."
I'm guessing (and hoping) that most people would not take the advice that a diabetic can eat anything he/she wants...
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by Val J ->
Hi Twink, well I thought I did understand until I saw all the lower readings on here. However I have an appointment with the diabetes nurse in a couple of weeks so maybe she will explain why my reading is different.

Ha !! I've just found this on Diabetes UK, a conversion chart!

HbA1c results
You will now be getting used to seeing your HbA1c results reported using the IFCC (International Federation of Clinical Chemistry) reference measurement procedure of mmol/mol.

(%) (mmol/mol)
6.0 42
6.5 48
7.0 53
7.5 58
8.0 64
9.0 75
Well done Val, that means your 42 is good
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
There can be a very narrow dividing line between Type 2 and Type 1 Diabetes.
Type 1 is when your pancreas stops producing Insulin
Type 2 is when your body slows down insulin production or does not produce the enzymes required to process the insulin which is still being produced or is generally a combination of the two.
Type2 in about 40% of patients progresses over time to Type1 where your body does not produce Insulin at all and therefore daily injections of synthetic insulin become necessary.
So someone with Type2 whose blood sugar HBA1c test indicates very high levels of sugar can display the early signs of Progression to Type 1 and the accompanying symptoms.
However in Julie's case her HBA1c test must be just normal or just above normal in order to require no medication at all and her home blood sugar test would be in the normal range of 4 to 8mmls (if her physician had felt it necessary to dispense a blood sugar monitoring kit, which he clearly did not)
There would be many other reasons for people to display diabetic symptoms and a GP would ensure that blood tests were conducted to verify or eliminate the diabetic condition along with several other standard tests for other factors.
I hope this is the end of this Diabetes thread.....!
No it's not..
If you are diagnosed type 2 then you would remain type 2 unless for some reason you developed pancreas problems and type 1 which is unlikely

Type 2 can be controlled by diet and lifestyle choices..
Malc.27
Pembroke U.K.
Malc.27 is male  Malc.27 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:37 PM

Hi Pats
I would, with respect, have said :
"Type 2 can SOMETIMES be controlled by diet/exercise and lifestyle choices..."
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
If you are diagnosed type 2 then you would remain type 2 unless for some reason you developed pancreas problems and type 1 which is unlikely

Type 2 can be controlled by diet and lifestyle choices..
Glad you explained that ... my step-dad was type 2 for a good 10 to 15 years then became type 1. I never understood how he changed from one to the other.
(He eventually died from a nurses insulin cock-up at the local hospital ..he'd gone in for and had a successful prostate op).
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
You've gone very quiet Julie...why does that not surprise me ?
Hells bells man I went to work I start at 5pm I can't be here 24/7 just to answer your questions.
Val J
East Yorkshire

25-02-2016, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Well done Val, that means your 42 is good
Not good enough though Twink, I'm heading in the wrong direction, I was 41 last year and am so disappointed to find I've gone up a point in spite of losing weight and following a low carb diet !!

Page 9 of 10 « First < 7 8 9 10 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top