Join for free
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 05:25 PM

Contact lenses.

Has anybody got them or had them? Are they hard to get used to?

I'm due another eye test and hate the thought of wearing glasses all the time.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 05:42 PM

Re: Contact lenses.

My son has had them for 20 years, no problems.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 06:04 PM

I used to

Unfortunately my astigmatism is severe and dailies are not available in my prescription now

Took a few tries to find the correct pair for me and loved them. Although ultra thin they had a slight tint to them so easy to spot them when trying to remove them or when I dropped them on the floor
Surfermom
Chatterbox
United States
Surfermom is female  Surfermom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 06:09 PM

Carol, just a thought, but is corrective surgery a possibility? My opthamologist suggested that the cost of the procedure would be less that the lifetime cost of contact lenses.

I will say that my son, who is more than a little squeamish and has a very low tolerance for pain, took a few days to get used to them, but now pops them in and out in a heartbeat. Funny what one will do to look good to the opposite sex .
APRICOT
Chatterbox
Suffolk UK
APRICOT is female  APRICOT has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 06:12 PM

I used to wear them and fpound I got on quite well with them.
You could always give them a trial Carol for about 3 months & see how you get on.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

29-08-2017, 06:59 PM

I have worn hard, and more recently gas permeable, contact lenses for at least 35 years. When I retired at age 60, I stopped wearing them.

When I first began to wear them I remember them feeling most unnatural at first, but before long became used to them.

The thing I really didn't like was the frequency of dust, etc, finding its way behind the lenses. I don't know how, but my eyes seemed to act as magnets for dust. I also suffered from dry eye latterly, and regularly used drops for that problem. Eventually, I got fed up with the messing about and reverted to glasses.

As for laser treatment, improvements have been made over the years and it is now regarded as being relatively safe. What worries me about it is that there are still things that can go wrong and, bearing in mind that most people are obliged to go for private treatment, I am not absolutely convinced that the attraction of big profits might override the consideration of patient well being!

Another option which, in due course will apply to me is that, if you have cataracts, the lens affected can be removed (under the NHS) and replaced by a synthetic lens which can be tailored to account for short sightedness, long sightedness and possibly even astigmatism, although they don't guarantee to restore perfect vision.

These are fixed lenses but if you choose to go privately (at great expense) you can have special lenses that can adapt to focus on objects near and far just as natural lenses do.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top