Join for free
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 01:17 AM

I'm not sure what to do.

In an attempt to prevent my brain from atrophying since lockdown I have tried to keep my mind bright by writing a story in my head.

Having posted a small segment (Love conquers all/Charlotte's story) I have begun to put finger to keyboard in an attempt to capture the whole story.
The problem I have is that it is quite long, even in its unfinished state.

I have tried condensing parts of it into "bite-sized" stories but apart from Charlotte's story, it just doesn't work.

Setting the scene before I even start takes up four A4 pages whereas "Charlotte's story" was only two and a half.

The first part is currently at ten pages and probably 3/4 completed at best. I don't know what the word/character count is for a single post, but I'm quite sure the first part won't fit into a single post. I would need to post it across at least two and possibly three posts to get it all in.
All the subsequent sub-stories are likely to be just as long, even though the whole thing is still a short story.

I have therefore come up with the idea of posting each part/chapter as a word document in sequence, but I'm not really sure if I should.

I have no idea whether the story, or series of stories will be any good, or if anyone would want to read it. I'm not talking about your average post here. It would be the equivalent of a dozen or more long posts in a sequence.

What I don't want to do is drip feed the story in a series of separate threads. I would rather they were all in one place in the correct order.

I shall finish writing the story no matter what, just to make sure it doesn't get lost in my head, but I'm not sure this forum is the correct place to show it purely because it will be so long.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 06:57 AM

Re: I'm not sure what to do.

Sounds intriguing, Fruitcake!

Is there some way you could put it all in a secure word document and post a link - as the newspapers do?
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 07:01 AM

Not being much of a reader, how about posting the last couple of pages and we can just work the rest out for ourselves...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera
Fruitcake is male  Fruitcake has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Barry ->
Not being much of a reader, how about posting the last couple of pages and we can just work the rest out for ourselves...
I can do better than that. Here is the last part of the last line.

"... but it was all a dream."
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Fruitcake ->
I can do better than that. Here is the last part of the last line.

"... but it was all a dream."
Smashing FC, it's all becoming clear to me now, a very satisfying conclusion indeed ...
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

16-12-2020, 10:34 AM

Originally Posted by Silver Tabby ->
Sounds intriguing, Fruitcake!

Is there some way you could put it all in a secure word document and post a link - as the newspapers do?
Thanks. I'll have a look into that although not everyone is comfortable opening links from strangers.
I also need to check what the forum rules are on this sort of thing as well.

My original thought was to attach, say half a dozen numbered Word or PDF documents to a single post so everything would be contained within the confines of this forum.
The alternative would be to post each part/chapter as I finish them so the story would be spread across numerous posts, a bit like a serial published in a periodical newspaper or magazine.

It's completely different to anything I have ever done before and it's purely a method to keep my mind active, but it won't be everyone's cup of tea and I don't want to bore anyone.
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

16-12-2020, 10:40 AM

Right, Plan A doesn't work. I've just tried to upload chapter 1 as a word document but I'm getting an error message saying it's an invalid file.

I need to do some more research.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 12:43 PM

I actually posted part of my autobiography some time last year I think it was Fruitcake. I posted it in a section called 'Bob's Bits' also in leisure activities. It was too big to post in one lump, so I sent it in sections carefully making it into about two or three chapters. I copied and pasted it from Word.....It worked well, but I don't think many people read it though.... I enjoyed writing it, and it brought back so many memories....
Fruitcake
Somerset Riviera

16-12-2020, 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by OldGreyFox ->
I actually posted part of my autobiography some time last year I think it was Fruitcake. I posted it in a section called 'Bob's Bits' also in leisure activities. It was too big to post in one lump, so I sent it in sections carefully making it into about two or three chapters. I copied and pasted it from Word.....It worked well, but I don't think many people read it though.... I enjoyed writing it, and it brought back so many memories....
Yes that is another way of doing it, but I would need to chop each section/chapter up into several posts. If someone else posted in between it would disrupt the flow of the story, especially as I have at least six separate parts/chapters to the story, all of which would need to be chopped into separate posts.

I missed your biography so I'll go and have a look for it laterer.

I'm enjoying writing my story which is purely fictional, although a few characters are based on real people. If nobody else likes it then I will have lost nothing because it will have kept my mind active and brought me enjoyment.
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

16-12-2020, 01:34 PM

'Bob's Bits' runs into almost 200 pages Fruitcake, and it's taken me the best part of this morning to find my piece.....
But find it I did, and here it is.....It might put you to sleep though.... Part one is divided into two parts....But I managed to post part two (the recovery) in one lump...
You were right about posts happening in between, it happened on here....I suppose if you posted when everyone was asleep you might be alright...

https://www.over50sforum.com/showthr...22270&page=167

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top