Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 08:00 PM

wanted a real computer whizz

Ok i have a really screwed up laptop it is complicated and i have a whole list of symptoms and need a answer ...so if you are a real software whizz call me
TessA
Official Poinker
UK
TessA is female  TessA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 08:17 PM

Re: wanted a real computer whizz

Talk to it sternly, swear at it, threaten to throw it out of the window! Doesn't work but makes you feel better!
I dropped mine yesterday, loads of dust flew out & it worked better for a bit, don't think it's a good idea though.
ukmartian
Ipswich uk
ukmartian is male  ukmartian has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 08:36 PM

been there done that ...it was a pressy ...sentimental aint i
Mollie
Chatterbox
Wigan in Lancashire
Mollie is female  Mollie has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-08-2013, 10:21 PM

Steve, why don't you list your problems. One or more members may be able to help, and I'm sure when Azz sees your post he'll be a mine of information.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Funnily enough I am looking for a cheap laptop if you are thinking of selling it . Does sound beyond repair to me .
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

07-08-2013, 01:44 PM

Ok where should I send the bits when I have swept them up
Jimmy
Lancashire
Jimmy is male  Jimmy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 01:59 PM

I can't believe you've asked for help, and refuse to say exactly what is wrong with your laptop, how can people help you if they don't know what is wrong?
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

07-08-2013, 04:19 PM

I actually prepared a description of the faults and a picture of the BSOD before posting ...I did not post it as it is long and complicated and thought if there is a computer whizz here i would message him with it ,,,but just to satisfy you i will post it .....
ukmartian
Ipswich uk

07-08-2013, 04:21 PM

First got a BSOD PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA see photo ...after a while nothing worked I could access no files or progs without getting this message ...i could not access system restore even from safe mode with command prompt ...i could boot up to my home screen but all the prog titles were missing from the icons ...windows tried to repair itself several times but could not rectify itself ....i googled fault and found possibly caused by memory ..RAM or HDD ..i removed RAM modules but no fault found ,,,finally took to shop who DXed HDD fault ..they fitted HDD and cloned info over ..but when booted fault still there...so they done a full restore ...after reloading progs and data every seemed ok ...then various system error messages appeared ...low battery warning pop up ballon missing ..several other info balloons didnt pop up ...freezing from waking up ....finally i determined i poss had corrupt files so i used a restore facility and restored windows files only ...when i re-booted i found the original problem had returned ..ie BSOD ..PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA i spent 2 hours and finally found a way to re-innitiate my system by accident , windows done a repair run as a boot up had failed ...I have now found that the engineer re-installed the software from the cloned info of the so called faulty HDD...so was the system recovery corrupted from the so call HDD fault meaning i still have a fault ..how can i check ???..I have a factory restore disc ...perhaps i should back up nearly 500gb (ouch ) of data and reformat the HDD...also how can i repartition my HDD it is split nearly 50/50 ..as it is a 1 tb HDD i need max storage on my C drive and Min on the d drive which only has the system files stored prob no more than 5 gb....
I tiold you this was technical and complicated ....
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-08-2013, 06:17 PM

Originally Posted by ukmartian ->

First got a BSOD PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA see photo ...after a while nothing worked I could access no files or progs without getting this message ...i could not access system restore even from safe mode with command prompt ...i could boot up to my home screen but all the prog titles were missing from the icons ...windows tried to repair itself several times but could not rectify itself ....i googled fault and found possibly caused by memory ..RAM or HDD ..i removed RAM modules but no fault found ,,,finally took to shop who DXed HDD fault ..they fitted HDD and cloned info over ..but when booted fault still there...so they done a full restore ...after reloading progs and data every seemed ok ...then various system error messages appeared ...low battery warning pop up ballon missing ..several other info balloons didnt pop up ...freezing from waking up ....finally i determined i poss had corrupt files so i used a restore facility and restored windows files only ...when i re-booted i found the original problem had returned ..ie BSOD ..PAGE FAULT IN NON PAGED AREA i spent 2 hours and finally found a way to re-innitiate my system by accident , windows done a repair run as a boot up had failed ...I have now found that the engineer re-installed the software from the cloned info of the so called faulty HDD...so was the system recovery corrupted from the so call HDD fault meaning i still have a fault ..how can i check ???..I have a factory restore disc ...perhaps i should back up nearly 500gb (ouch ) of data and reformat the HDD...also how can i repartition my HDD it is split nearly 50/50 ..as it is a 1 tb HDD i need max storage on my C drive and Min on the d drive which only has the system files stored prob no more than 5 gb....
I tiold you this was technical and complicated ....
Mmm. As the fault is causing problems all over the place I would go for faulty ram initially but you say this has been checked. It is quite hard to diagnose a faulty ram stick though. Have you multiple ram sticks in the laptop? If you do remove them and try one at a time. If it boots ok off one but not another then you will have found the problem.

You say the shop fitting a new HD? Again it would need to be tested for bad sectors.

Failing that I would use msconfig to switch off all start up programs - if you can access the desktop that is. You access this screen by typing msconfig in the start box. Once the msconfig screen appears go to 'Start Up' and disable all of them. Could be a nasty conflict occuring or some program or driver is causing a problem.

If by disabling the start up programs helps then you can turn on one at a time to see which is the problem.

You need a clean as machine as possible and can only really achieve this by removing everything and putting the system back to factory settings after backing up all your data. Any corrupt files or dodgy software / virus will be removed entirely. This is the last resort though in the meantime I would uninstall as many programs as you can. Especially give some thought to the last software or hardware change you carried out prior to the breakdown. Uninstall / put back as was first.

I would also check what is running in the background by pressing ctrl alt and delete - Start Task Manager - Processes. Trouble is you would need to know what is ok to be running and what isn't, so that might not be worth the bother. You could though download the program called Malwarebytes which will look for any nasty program running.

The severity of the problem does tend to make me think it is a hardware problem but even so the blue screen of death can be displayed for all sorts of reasons. I had it the other day on my own when I attempted to use a new webcam. My computer is running Vista and displayed the memory page problem when closing the webcam down.

Why bother with splitting your hard drive? I would just make it one big un.

Anther thing is does the laptop boot ok when cold? Laptops are not my line of expertise but a overheating cpu can cause all sorts of blues screens and odd errors on desktops.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top