Join for free
Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Puddle Duck
Cheshire. UK
Puddle Duck is female  Puddle Duck has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:07 AM

Re: A United Ireland ???

When I was in Southern Ireland in the 70's, it was perfectly obvious that the local communities of the Southern Irish did NOT want anything to do with Northern Ireland. This is why I find it confusing , there will be opposition from either one or the other on any permanent change.... and it looks like they get support from foreign fighters. Some asking how much is paid to fight .
A lot of outside influence could spark it all off again.

Arriving in Dublin during the troubles in the 70's.on a cargo ship. We had swarms of police and customs crawling all over it. Even my knicker draw was savaged by their dog.
All because we had been to Lebanon, (where we had been shot at and the ship held to ransom for bounty)
Lebanon were supplying arms and stuff to Ireland, and so the whole ship was locked down until everything passed inspection. That was British ship, they found nothing but foreign ships with no border controls are a bigger worry I suspect (but don't actually know)
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Visiting and living here are two totally different things

NI is still divided. The peace wall had got higher and taller since the Good Friday agreement

I live in the country so it’s not so marked but the towns and villages still are marked by Catholic and Protestant emblems and there are still places where you can’t live depending on which side you are from

Villages which are mixed have two schools and pubs , one for each side

Protection money is still paid

No one wants to go back to the days of the troubles but don’t ever be fooled into thinking tensions aren’t running high because they are always just bubbling away under the surface

If you want to see how it really is , watch the local news here. Barely any of the shootings, burning outs, knee cappings, which happen here daily are reported on the main news
Thank you for an honest thread based on fact.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:22 AM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
Thank you for an honest thread based on fact.
Hi

Seconded.
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
The 'troubles' in Ireland have persisted since 1921 following the chaos that prat churchill caused after the first referendum. Now there is a distinct possibility of correcting that chaos with a new referendum and re-uniting Ireland permanently.
The troubles in Ireland began long before that, UJ, before even Henry VIII was around!

I would dearly love to see a United Ireland - but - the British contingent in NI voted, with the rest of the UK, to escape from the tyranny of Europe. Unfortunately Eire is still part of that. Unless our President takes Eire out of europe I cannot see NI wanting to be united.

What I do not want to see is another blood bath!
OldGreyFox
Chatterbox
South Yorkshire
OldGreyFox is male  OldGreyFox has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:31 AM

Instead of unifying northern Ireland with Southern Ireland, why don't we make all Ireland part of the British Isles?.....Just saying.....
Silver Tabby
Chatterbox
God's own county!
Silver Tabby is female  Silver Tabby has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

Seconded.
Thirded !
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:40 AM

I hope Ireland is united one day, I think it was a big mistake, for the North to have been annexed by the UK.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 10:43 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
I hope Ireland is united one day, I think it was a big mistake, for the North to have been annexed by the UK.
Why? What's your reasoning for these views?

Serious question
tarantula
Chatterbox
UK
tarantula is female  tarantula has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by Missy ->
Why? What's your reasoning for these views?

Serious question
Britain invaded Ireland as they did with so much of the world, they had no business to be there. The uprising was Ireland trying to get rid of the invader. Holding on to the North did no one any favours and caused the terrible problems with the IRA further down the line. No I don't support the IRA and all the evil they perpetrated, but Britain has to take responsibility for its part in its treatment of that country.
Mel15
Nowhere
Mel15 is female  Mel15 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-06-2018, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by tarantula ->
Britain invaded Ireland as they did with so much of the world, they had no business to be there. The uprising was Ireland trying to get rid of the invader. Holding on to the North did no one any favours and caused the terrible problems with the IRA further down the line. No I don't support the IRA and all the evil they perpetrated, but Britain has to take responsibility for its part in its treatment of that country.
Thanks for replying

What about the population of Northern Ireland who identify as British, the population that supported the division ?

Page 3 of 5 < 1 2 3 4 5 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top