Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 09:54 AM

Re: Don't Complain To Your MP. You Could Be Reported To The Police!

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
Not sure I can agree with you there Devo. If 60% of MPs are in favour of remaining but 60% of the voting public democratically voted to leave, should a remain MP be fighting to stop the Brexit procedure or be supporting the voters decision to leave?
Too many MP's are trying to find ways of preventing us leaving, because that is what suits their personal beliefs, but they had one vote just like everybody else so they should be doing their best to make Brexit work.... as that was the the majority, democratic choice of the people of Britain.

Mp's doing what they wanted, instead of what their constituents wanted, is probably what caused the leave vote to win, as people could no longer trust their MPs
Indeed. This country has had a long history - as long as I can remember anyway - of everyone pulling in different directions, and that is certainly true for politicians.

Having had a 'legally binding referendum', other countries would have accepted the majority decision and, whatever their personal preferences, would have pulled together for the sake of the country.

But not Britain.

In the future, if this country begins to fail it will not be because of Brexit, whatever the remainiacs might say, but because we are British.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Uncle Joe ->
Why are people surprised at the antics of this MP - she's a member of the scumbag 'nasty party' - 'nuff said !!!
Whatever anyone might think about Joe, he is at least consistently repetitive.
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Many who voted remain have extremely sour grapes and can't accept the leave vote instead choosing to be extremely negative about the majority leave vote. They need to stop crying and join forces to ensure our Britain becomes Great again.
Hi

I for one do not want us to become "Great" again.

The World has changed and is till changing, we simply cannot compete with the big new economies.

I want the opposite, I want us abandon our delusions of grandeur, stop sticking our noses in to things that have nothing to do with us and instead concentrate on making life better for the people who live here.

I want us to slash our huge Foreign Aid Budget, stop getting involved in Regime Change.

I want us to realise that we are no longer a Global Superpower, that our so called Special Relationship with the USA is long gone, Trump is putting Tariffs on our Steel and Aluminium, he is insisting that we do not trade with Iran and that the South China Sea is absolutely naff all to do with the UK.

The Chinese are not going to stopping us sailing through it.

We need to stop poking Russia in the eye and making ourselves a Target.

What I want is for us to become like the Netherlands, Austria, Switzerland etc.

A place which is much nicer to live in, where trains run on time, with good public services and where you do not have to swerve every 5 minutes to avoid a huge pothole.

That to me is far more important than becoming great again.
Twink55
Chatterbox
Cheshire, England
Twink55 is female  Twink55 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by swimfeeders ->
Hi

The World has changed and is till changing, we simply cannot compete with the big new economies.

I want the opposite, I want us abandon our delusions of grandeur, stop sticking our noses in to things that have nothing to do with us and instead concentrate on making life better for the people who live here.

I want us to slash our huge Foreign Aid Budget, stop getting involved in Regime Change.

I want us to realise that we are no longer a Global Superpower, that our so called Special Relationship with the USA is long gone, Trump is putting Tariffs on our Steel and Aluminium, he is insisting that we do not trade with Iran and that the South China Sea is absolutely naff all to do with the UK.

A place which is much nicer to live in, where trains run on time, with good public services and where you do not have to swerve every 5 minutes to avoid a huge pothole.

That is a lovely idea, but I am not sure it would work. We have a good economy, but probably because people want to trade with the strong UK, and if our country became another "also ran" we may not be able to create enough money to repay many of our countries debts.
I am afraid that American life has had too much influence on us, so made us want more, and I feel that those ideas will be very difficult to change.
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by Lion Queen ->
Many who voted remain have extremely sour grapes and can't accept the leave vote instead choosing to be extremely negative about the majority leave vote. They need to stop crying and join forces to ensure our Britain becomes Great again.
Well Said Lion Queen.
Spot on.!
Boozercruiser
Chatterbox
Wales
Boozercruiser is male  Boozercruiser has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 10:53 AM

Hi

Well said and excellent there Swim.
You would obviously make an excellent Prime Minister.
This instead of the weak and lily livered lot we have right now!
Devo
SW UK
Devo is male  Devo has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 11:08 AM

Make Britain great again...has no one ever listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall? Until nowadays, I never thought of Roger Waters as a seer.
'Great' in the context of Great Britain has nothing to do with past achievements. It is a geographical description, nothing more, whatever the far right might dribble on about.

Sour grapes...This type of comment is a convenient way for the average brexiteer to get around what they never do - think (as recommended by the odious Gove) and dismiss any criticism that might be a bit tricky to argue against as most anti-brexit criticism and argument is based on fact rather than slogan.
My completely anti-brexit stance is not based on sour grapes but on the damage it will do to the country, just for the benefit of a few extremist, tax avoiding multimillionaires. I am not too bothered about me but I fear for my grandchildren and the politically imposed dystopia they will be foirced to grow up in.
Judd
Chatterbox
West Riding of Yorkshire
Judd is male  Judd has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-06-2018, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Devo ->
MPs are not delegates, they are representatives. They are meant to represent their constituents, tempered by what they believe or what their conscience dictates.
Given that there has been a general election since the brexit referendum, I would think all her constituents knew her feelings re. the EU yet they still elected her. Nothing else to be said, really.
Tactical voting. The lesser of two evils?
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-06-2018, 12:59 PM

Hi

I completely agree with all of that.

My preference would be to become another Switzerland, including regular legally enforceable referenda. We should also take after Switzerland in that they don't have an unelected House of Lords.

That is what I would certainly aspire to.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK

10-06-2018, 01:02 PM

Originally Posted by Twink55 ->
That is a lovely idea, but I am not sure it would work. We have a good economy, but probably because people want to trade with the strong UK, and if our country became another "also ran" we may not be able to create enough money to repay many of our countries debts.
I am afraid that American life has had too much influence on us, so made us want more, and I feel that those ideas will be very difficult to change.
I don't think we need to cease having a strong economy to fulfil the other suggestions.

However, I'm not so sure that America would remain our 'best friend' if we stopped agreeing to follow them into their various military excursions into other countries.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top