Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 06:43 PM

Re: Not a bloody gain!!!

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
Yes, I know I know you are right. My in-laws are from the American south and would not countenance revoking that amendment.
"I want to be able to protect my family"
"Guns don't kill, people kill"

Telling them that the firearms fatality rate in USA is about 40 times that in UK doesn't wash with them.
Or that guns do kill as the 28 deaths, mostly seven year old children, at Sandy Hook elementary school clearly demonstrates.

Sure, it needs someone unhinged with access to firearms to do that kind of thing. But access they have.

"If some person wants to kill another, they will find a weapon to use." But could a nutter kill 28 people in one fell swoop with a knife? It's clearly a nonsensical justification.

Firearms are unique in that they can cause injuries or fatalities at distance. Could the JFK assassination happened if Lee Harvey Oswald been armed with a knife................
Totally agree with you, but I just don't think they can do anything about it now unfortunately.
Also, the firearms industry & related industries / businesses in the US is huge.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
Totally agree with you, but I just don't think they can do anything about it now unfortunately.
Also, the firearms industry & related industries / businesses in the US is huge.
Not to mention the NRA.....
DaveA
Massachusetts, US
DaveA is male  DaveA has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:18 PM

"Not to mention the NRA..... "

---who spend millions in campaign donations to mostly right wing elected officials. In that regard, they're no different than any other business trying to maintain laws that make them profitable. Luckily, in most other businesses the results are not as tragic.

The problem here is the ability to carry weapons with you in your everyday endeavors. That makes it impossible for police to stop and confiscate weapons being carried for bad purposes.

I've owned guns since I was 12 or 13 years old. Had fun back then (in the late 1940's) plinking at cans bottles, and varmints in the garden. Never once back then did I hear anyone in my family, many of whom hunted, mention self defense in connection with their weapons. I've traveled from Florida to Maine and as far west as Oklahoma. Not once, to this day, have I found the need to be armed and the same at home. By the time I limped up the stairs, found my gun, and loaded it, whoever was breaking down my door would have done what he wanted and left.

The Rifleman, a monthly magazine published by the NRA has many articles that make interesting reading regarding historical weapons used in past wars, etc., but they also have a monthly column called (if I recall correctly) "The Armed Citizen". This is a monthly group of articles describing many poor souls being attacked in their homes, car, malls, or picking flowers in the park. In these articles the "armed citizen " draws and kills or maims the villain, just like in the old western movies. It would seem as though a gun owner (and carrier) is hundreds of times more likely to be attacked than those of us who go about our business un-armed . Believe me - -if I thought that it was likely that I would be attacked on my way to the grocery store, I'd either change stores or carry my weapon.

For the NRA it's all about frightening the populace into buying more and more powerful weapons. Money's the name of the game and they do a good job of hood-winking the public with the notion that an assault is imminent at any moment. I think most weapon carriers wet their pants when a car backfires. They know that their moment of doom is upon them if not for their trusty weapon.
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK
Besoeker is male  Besoeker has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by DaveA ->
"Not to mention the NRA..... "

---who spend millions in campaign donations to mostly right wing elected officials. In that regard, they're no different than any other business trying to maintain laws that make them profitable. Luckily, in most other businesses the results are not as tragic.

The problem here is the ability to carry weapons with you in your everyday endeavors. That makes it impossible for police to stop and confiscate weapons being carried for bad purposes.

I've owned guns since I was 12 or 13 years old. Had fun back then (in the late 1940's) plinking at cans bottles, and varmints in the garden. Never once back then did I hear anyone in my family, many of whom hunted, mention self defense in connection with their weapons. I've traveled from Florida to Maine and as far west as Oklahoma. Not once, to this day, have I found the need to be armed and the same at home. By the time I limped up the stairs, found my gun, and loaded it, whoever was breaking down my door would have done what he wanted and left.

The Rifleman, a monthly magazine published by the NRA has many articles that make interesting reading regarding historical weapons used in past wars, etc., but they also have a monthly column called (if I recall correctly) "The Armed Citizen". This is a monthly group of articles describing many poor souls being attacked in their homes, car, malls, or picking flowers in the park. In these articles the "armed citizen " draws and kills or maims the villain, just like in the old western movies. It would seem as though a gun owner (and carrier) is hundreds of times more likely to be attacked than those of us who go about our business un-armed . Believe me - -if I thought that it was likely that I would be attacked on my way to the grocery store, I'd either change stores or carry my weapon.

For the NRA it's all about frightening the populace into buying more and more powerful weapons. Money's the name of the game and they do a good job of hood-winking the public with the notion that an assault is imminent at any moment. I think most weapon carriers wet their pants when a car backfires. They know that their moment of doom is upon them if not for their trusty weapon.
So what is the solution for preventing yet more school shootings?
USA has had over 200 school shooting incidents so far this century. In UK where the gun laws are much more rigid, there has been none so far. The last I recall was the Dunblane massacre in 1996 with 18 fatalities including the perpetrator.

Surely, that alone, makes the case for stricter gun control.
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

17-06-2018, 09:36 PM

Originally Posted by Besoeker ->
So what is the solution for preventing yet more school shootings?
USA has had over 200 school shooting incidents so far this century. In UK where the gun laws are much more rigid, there has been none so far. The last I recall was the Dunblane massacre in 1996 with 18 fatalities including the perpetrator.

Surely, that alone, makes the case for stricter gun control.
......And if that was looked into deep enough, you'd find that Hamilton should not have been issued with a licence in the first place. It was a failing / misuse of the already strict laws....
Besoeker
Chatterbox
Doncaster, UK

17-06-2018, 10:07 PM

Originally Posted by fender ->
......And if that was looked into deep enough, you'd find that Hamilton should not have been issued with a licence in the first place. It was a failing / misuse of the already strict laws....
Yes, it was. Over 20 years ago. The gun laws have been tightened since.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top