Join for free
Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

04-09-2015, 12:20 PM

Re: Sugar Sugar and YET MORE SUGAR!

Well as I don't use sugar any more it would be odd I fought a tax if anything I would be more keen on banning it in some products where people don't know they area eating it and the items can easily be made with out it. Many companies use it as a cheap way to make rubbish palatable. Better ingredients and you don't need the sugar.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 09:31 PM

I almost missed this thread !

Saw the program, it went very predictably the same way all these TV chef capers do . . . which is nowhere !

Jamie is a part of the "Institution" same as Hugh-Fernly.

Neither of them have changed or solved any of the real problems and that's because to do so requires taking on the powers that be, the very "institution" itself, and as these fakes are a part of it, they predictably don't fight it.

Jamie failed miserably with the great "Free Range Chicken" campaign. He gave us TV shock tactics by killing new-born chicks on live TV to explain to us what the industry does.
But in the end he didn't tackle the actual problem, which was the cost of a battery chicken vs the cost of free-range. Hence the campaign failed. All he did was help the free-range producers get rich for a short while until the "fad" was over. Back in the world of reality there is very little free-range chicken in the supermarkets again.

Sugar is something I'm kinda passionate about. It's a killer. It's the real culprit for people's obesity and health problems. The corporations who produce it and force it into just about every foodstuff have been waging a war on human health for some years. It has been and continues to be one of the most insipid atrocities waged on humankind in the past century.

The issue at stake is not to do with money. It is not to do with education and awareness. A "Sugar-tax" is utterly laughable, it is simple a mechanism for making more people rich at our expense. Jamie knows this. He also knows what the real problem is, but he isn't doing anything about it.

The root of the problem is that our governments are in the pockets of the conglomerates like the sugar and salt producers.

Every fibre of an honest person's mind and soul should be revolted that ANYONE is permitted to load foodstuffs with dangerously high levels of ANYTHING. That is the real problem that has to be tackled. That tens of spoonfuls of sugar are permitted to go into drinks or sauces is nothing short of a crime to humanity and should be punished and ended immediately.

If we were talking about conglomerates putting spoonfuls of cocaine or heroine in foods we wouldn't be talking about a "Cocaine tax" we would be utterly outraged that the government has been allowing any company to put the stuff in foods in the first place. That is where the fight lays, in stopping our leaders from allowing this assault on human health in the first place. It is immoral, should be illegal and should be dealt with as a serious crime.

Problems like this pervade our society everywhere. Look at the stupid "payday" loans which advertise APR% of 2000% and upwards. It is utterly immoral. You can't blame the payday companies. You HAVE to blame the government who permits this kind of business. There should be laws against it, it is utterly wrong in every moral sense.

The proliferation of sugar in all our foodstuffs both done in full view and done covertly via deliberately loose labelling laws, is little more than a legalised national drug addicting scam in which the conglomerates are the pimp dealers who have been given free reign to deliberately addict the bulk of the population for profit. It is outrageous.

I HATE sugar, esp white refined sugar and I do not buy bags of it. Yet as I have been exposed to it all of my life, like most people I find it hard to eradicate it from my life.

I AM careful about reading labels and looking at the sugar content in anything. Even so, I know that I will still be being duped by labelling laws which don't sufficiently force companies to fully declare all the forms of sugars in the products.

People have to wake up, to this and to all the other atrocities being waged on us. Stop buying sugar. Stop buying products containing high sugar content. Stop buying processed foods altogether. Stick to what comes out of the ground naturally or what animals provide naturally. Meat, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, grains etc.

If you are following TV celebrities and thinking they really want to tackle these problems then you are being duped. They are out to make money for themselves and for the companies they are aligned to. Not one of them actually ever solves the problems they start campaigns for. They just find ways to make YOU spend more money for a while.

Sugar is poison. Get it out of your life any way you can.

If you are on a "diet" and haven't first eradicated sugar from your life then imo you are completely wasting your time and deluding yourself, likely hopping from one diet to the next, always putting the lbs back on. Diets per say do not work because they represent a temporary style of eating that is different to your regular style of eating. Eventually that temporary style of eating ends and you revert back to regular style of eating and that's where the lbs go back on.
You have to change your regular style of eating permanently. You can't do that by dieting. It is a life choice and a life change and it starts by removing sugar from your diet and by then being resolved to eat what Nature provides naturally. I still struggle with this don't get me wrong, but every part of me knows instinctively that sugar is a drug more potent, more addictive and ultimately more harmful than many Class A drugs. We are being conned. We are being poisoned, systematically. Wake up and see it for what it is. Our masters are crooked, corrupt and wicked. Don't let them take your health for their profit.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 10:21 PM

Your passion is your undoing as you just can't form a workable, objective opinion (Realist). Sugar tax is laughable you say? The only thing that works is to hurt someone in their pocket. Education you say? Christ haven't we seen enough and heard enough about all that and still we make bad food choices.

The government will never outlaw sugar being added to whatever as that isn't one of their roles and I'm pretty sure they wouldn't want to take on responsibility for the nation's diet either but a sugar tax? Now you are talking as in money talks. The government can make money and that is a strong incentive as it always is.

Lets look at alcohol for instance. I earn quite a lot of money and I thought to buy a nice bottle of spirits last night in fact (I was talked out of it though thankfully ) but hell the price of a good bottle of plonk from even such a place as Tesco was off putting - 25 quid! We eventually settled on a bottle of wine but even that cost 7 quid. No way would I fork out such monies on a regular basis. So the cost of alcohol curbs my appetite even though I can easily afford it. Factor in many do not earn so much and their appetite must surely wane even more when costs add up.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 10:31 PM

A "Sugar Tax" won't reduce one iota, the levels of sugar in food stuffs. It will simply move money around. You'll end up paying more for everything. You lose twice. Someone else wins financially. You still have addictive drugs pumped into your food stuffs.

Your thinking is akin to standing in a bucket and believing you can lift yourself up by the handle.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2015, 10:40 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
government will never outlaw sugar being added to whatever as that isn't one of their roles
Really? Pretty sure they outlaw the purveying of cocaine, heroine and other harmful drugs.

Scientifically, sugar displays most of the same characteristics as Class A drugs. It should be similarly outlawed imo. Hence it very much IS the responsibility of our authorities to control it.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2015, 10:51 PM

Some sugar info . . .

Refined sugar, by some, is called a drug, because in the refining process everything of food value has been removed except the carbohydrates-pure calories, without vitamins, minerals, proteins, fats, enzymes or any of the other elements that make up food. Many nutrition experts say that white sugar is extremely harmful, possibly as harmful as a drug, especially in the quantities consumed by the present-day American.

"white refined sugar-is not a food. It is a pure chemical extracted from plant sources, purer in fact than cocaine, which it resembles in many ways. Its true name is sucrose and its chemical formula is C12H22O11.

It has 12 carbon atoms, 22 hydrogen atoms, 11 oxygen atoms, and absolutely nothing else to offer.” ...The chemical formula for cocaine is C17H21NO4. Sugar’s formula again is C12H22O11. For all practical purposes, the difference is that sugar is missing the “N”, or nitrogen atom. ...Refining means to make “pure” by a process of extraction or separation. Sugars are refined by taking a natural food, which contains a high percentage of sugar, and then removing all elements of that food until only the sugar remains"

http://www.macrobiotics.co.uk/sugar.htm
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-09-2015, 10:58 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Really? Pretty sure they outlaw the purveying of cocaine, heroine and other harmful drugs.

Scientifically, sugar displays most of the same characteristics as Class A drugs. It should be similarly outlawed imo. Hence it very much IS the responsibility of our authorities to control it.
I think you are on high octane something or other .

A sugar tax will come in my opinion as it is a dead simple solution. Hit the corporations with it and see the foods alter in no time at all.

Taxing some product or other or reducing tax on some product or other causes changes that will not occur any other way.

Outlawing sugar? Blimey, there would be such outcry many would die in the rush to demonstrate outside the Houses of Parliament.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2015, 11:09 PM

Fuel is taxed. We the stupid punters pay for that tax and the government rakes it in.

A sugar tax will not hurt the sugar producers at all. They will just recoup the tax money from customers to whom that cost will be passed on. As I said, money will simply move around. The levels of sugar in foodstuff will NOT change. The nation will still be addicted to a largely sugar-based diet.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK

08-09-2015, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
Fuel is taxed. We the stupid punters pay for that tax and the government rakes it in.

A sugar tax will not hurt the sugar producers at all. They will just recoup the tax money from customers to whom that cost will be passed on. As I said, money will simply move around. The levels of sugar in foodstuff will NOT change. The nation will still be addicted to a largely sugar-based diet.
Not if they can't afford it they won't.

Take the development of cars for instance. They are inexorably linked to government policy. Money incentives or disincentives aimed at the car manufacturers (or car owners) results in design changes (or car ownership) more or less overnight, and the market alters quickly to take advantage of a change in demand. This is capitalism in which we still very much in the throes of.

Whether we like it or not money does talk and has a very loud voice. You can try to educate people all you want about dieting but it is a complete waste of time if you ask me: for one thing our own survival instinct goes against it. We all know if we were starving we would eat any bloody thing we could get our hands on. Therein lies the problem as we WANT to eat crap.
ruthio
Chatterbox
Southern UK
ruthio is female  ruthio has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

09-09-2015, 11:13 AM

I get the impression that no one posting on this thread has actually watched the programme, and therefore is not aware of idea behind the pressure for the sugar tax and where the money raised will go.

The way it has been already implemented in Mexico and the results there are really interesting.

Page 3 of 7 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top