Join for free
Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:19 AM

Re: Should education be free?

We've taken grace out of free system, due to her health problems she was becoming a target for bullies. In principle education should be free but it should also be safe and good. Until that happens there is a place for paying for education IMO.

University IMO should be free but limited to the brightest not aimed at everyone.
Muddy
Chatterbox
UK
Muddy is female  Muddy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 10:35 AM

I think that nursing training should definitely be free to encourage more people into taking up the career.
susan m
DORSET UK
susan m is female  susan m has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Muddy ->
That is why bursaries are offered to very academic /sporting /musically talented children to up the ratings .

My grandaughter was offered a bursary to a private school I think it was 90% it meant her travelling by bus an hour each way , the bursary offered did not include uniform , travel costs , exams it was so she could attend this school . We thought long and hard , I was wiling to help when I could and mum and dad are not well off . In the end we decided not send her , she now attends a local secondary school and is very happy as are we .

Personally I'm pleased as lords and ladies and millionaire kids attend the private school , we are just ordinary people .
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by susan m ->
My grandaughter was offered a bursary to a private school I think it was 90% it meant her travelling by bus an hour each way , the bursary offered did not include uniform , travel costs , exams it was so she could attend this school . We thought long and hard , I was wiling to help when I could and mum and dad are not well off . In the end we decided not send her , she now attends a local secondary school and is very happy as are we .

Personally I'm pleased as lords and ladies and millionaire kids attend the private school , we are just ordinary people .
We were lucky grace got 100 percent bursary all we've had to find is uniform and books. That's very similar to state education.
Tedc
Berkshire, UK
Tedc is male  Tedc has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

23-03-2017, 05:03 PM

Oddly, Education, back in 60s Manchester, had a way of becoming free because of the support provided by Private Employers.

I had a modest, but somewhat useful, early education at a "Trial" Comprehensive in Yorkshire. It was useful because GCEs were there to be had, but it was "modest" because few of the teachers had any Charisma left (if they ever had any).

After working for a few years, in the MN, etc., I joined AEI, in Trafford Park, Manchester, where, around 25000 people were employed and where there was an almost universal encouragement for employees to get some further education.

To that end, there were various levels of apprenticeships, plus numerous "Day Release" , or Evening class support.

It seemed that almost everybody there was doing education.(in addition to meeting the job requirements).

So I went to Tech, paid for by AEI on Day release, and right there I began to see more and more of the Charismatic skills of really good teachers.

Later another Company sent me to Wolfson College in Cambridge.

Why am I "threading" all this?

Well, does this sort of Industry backing Exist any More?

If not, Why Not?

Page 14 of 14 « First < 4 12 13 14

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top