Join for free
Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:04 AM

Re: Should voting be made compulsory?

Hi

I am with Cass, there should be a non of the above box.

I would hate to be forced to vote for someone I had no wish to vote for.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by spitfire ->
What if all the candidates were corrupt, should folks be forced to vote for corruption?
One of the advantages of a preferential system is that you tend to get more candidates because people can vote for them without wasting their vote. It is unlikely they are all corrupt

This was the Labor "How to Vote" card a couple of elections ago as you can see there are 11 candidates. As it happens this is a rusted on Labor electorate and rarely goes to preferences (IE a candidate gets 50% +1 first preference votes)

Here is the Nationals card for the same election

dukeofearl
south coast uk
dukeofearl is male  dukeofearl has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 12:21 AM

Totally not, and what are you talking about, spoiled ballet papers? Why should anybody be forced to vote for any party they do not support or want to support?
MickB
London UK
MickB is male  MickB has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 07:52 AM

Another thing that would help democracy greatly would be to make postal voting illegal except in cases where the voter is genuinely too ill to go to a polling station. Postal vote corruption is rife in the UK at the moment.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 09:17 AM

Stupid idea, its no from me, instead they should be looking into the reasons people have stopped voting and addressing it. I would go to jail rather than be forced to vote, we are supposed to have a choice, and i do vote because i have that choice, remove it and i will not vote.
Bruce
Chatterbox
Wollongong, Australia
Bruce is male  Bruce has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by dukeofearl ->
Totally not, and what are you talking about, spoiled ballet papers? Why should anybody be forced to vote for any party they do not support or want to support?
You can write what you like on the ballot paper and people do.
If you write something abusive the vote still counts as long as the intention is clear and boxes filled in.

If you don't like a party/candidate then you put them last on your vote. You don't have to follow the how to vote cards they are only for your guidance (and the subject of horse trading between the parties). Personally I always put the sitting member last because only marginal seats get any attention.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:35 AM

I am very much in favour of a change in our voting system along with compulsory registration and voting.....but I suppose the pinko commie bed wetting party and doogooders would find something to say about it.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by malcolm ->
I am very much in favour of a change in our voting system along with compulsory registration and voting.....but I suppose the pinko commie bed wetting party and doogooders would find something to say about it.
While i agree dont forget the other party would do the same, they all want to keep the present system.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by Nom ->
While i agree dont forget the other party would do the same, they all want to keep the present system.
Which other party Nom there are lots of political parties in this wonderfully diverse country of ours ?
dinahsmum
SW England
dinahsmum is female  dinahsmum has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

06-02-2016, 10:53 AM

Doesn't compulsary voting go against the individual freedom for which those who campaigned, suffered, and sometimes died, actually fought for?

I would like a NOTA box added to all ballot papers, just so the disgruntled could tick a box to demonstrate their unhappiness, but there is always the option of spoiling ones paper, or writing a rude message

Page 3 of 8 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top