Join for free
Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 12:11 PM

Re: Slimming World--anyone tried it ?

"One huge problem that really ought to be tackled is the causes of obesity. Increasingly, children are becoming obese, and the general trend seems to have come about following the introduction of fast foods and convenience foods (even at the supermarket) that contain hidden (and sometimes not hidden) sugars and fats. Soft/ fizzy drinks and even fruit smoothies are consumed in large quantities these days, which means people have a diet significantly higher in sugars (sucrose, fructose etc) than in previous years. Food is marketed as being less fatty or healthier when they simply may not be. Offers such as buy one get another free, or supersize/value for money meal deals is common place, and this encourages people to buy and consume more than they otherwise would have done.
The food market and food advertising seem quite irresponsible when it comes to advertising about food, with the intention of simply making money
"

This is something that I agree with totally-walk past Mcdonalds every day and you see young children eating fast food all the time. I went in once for a coffee, and opposite me was a young boy of about 3 years old--with a bag of chips and a tub of ice cream---solemnly dipping each chip in his ice cream before eating it !!! yuk !!!!! Problem is now, everything is labelled as low fat-but the sugar content is in tiny letters on the back--breakfast cereals are the worst thing for this---labelled as "healthy" "good for you " etc etc---but truth is they are not. Sugary, fizzy drinks, smoothies, even fruit juices contain a huge amount of sugar. But the supermarkets insist on putting these out as "Special offers " of one sort or another, when they should be pushing the healthier alternative. I think if everyone lowered their sugar consumption , it would make a huge amount of difference. Personally, I never buy sugar, or anything sugary if I can possibly help it. i do like cereal every morning, so I make sure it is as low in sugar as possible.
But nevertheless----whatever your view--I think the slimming club is here to stay ....
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by mariana ->
The food market and food advertising seem quite irresponsible when it comes to advertising about food, with the intention of simply making money[/B][/I]"

T
But nevertheless----whatever your view--I think the slimming club is here to stay ....

I agree Mariana, they evolve and get new ideas all the time, and are here to stay.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 12:52 PM

Problem is now, everything is labelled as low fat-but the sugar content is in tiny letters on the back--breakfast cereals are the worst thing for this---labelled as "healthy" "good for you " etc etc---but truth is they are not. Sugary, fizzy drinks, smoothies, even fruit juices contain a huge amount of sugar. But the supermarkets insist on putting these out as "Special offers " of one sort or another, when they should be pushing the healthier alternative. I think if everyone lowered their sugar consumption , it would make a huge amount of difference.
Totally right Mariana and it's even worse than that. Finding high sugar content in cereals and fizzy drinks is no surprise really, but finding it "hidden" in more standard fare like simple tins of chopped tomatoes or pots of Low Fat Natural Yoghurt is the "poisoning by stealth" why most are unaware of. In another thread yesterday, poster Emjay said he had "acquired a taste for yoghurts of varying kinds" having switched from sugar in tea/coffee to sweeteners. Easy to see why since yoghurts contain many teaspoonfuls of sugar.

This is the kind of good food education and nutritional advice that people really need rather than be spoon-fed diets and eating plans without this crucial info on what is essential a food war on your health.

Slimming clubs are very definitely here to stay. They make literally £billions from their business model which sees people return time and time again because only a small % (20% for WW) are able to keep the lost weight off for 2 years or more. With such a poor success rate you would think slimmers would question why they are spending money on a service which fails the majority of its customers. Presumably those customers come away blaming themselves for either not attending class or not following the eating regimes. It's a real shame because these people would be better served by full and proper education of what foods do to you, which are good, bad, what the role of sugar is in weight gain and how it alters your mind and how it tricks your body and so on.
Flowerpower
East Anglia, UK
Flowerpower is female  Flowerpower has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

22-11-2016, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by Mups ->
There is absolutely no point in me responding to someone who is unable to see any view but his own.
Mups .... do what I've done and ignore! Just let it go.

Some people love writing essays and that's fine, let them get on with it. Doesn't mean we have to read it. They believe every word they've written and they don't want to hear what anybody else thinks, because they are always right.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 05:25 PM

Originally Posted by Flowerpower ->
Realist ... I pay £4.65 to attend group and some months buy a magazine which costs me £1.95 ....... so they're hardly making a fortune from me. I don't have to buy any other books or special foods at all.

If only it was all as easy as you are making out! You keep going over and over the same points but you don't listen to anybody else's.

Why are GPs now prescribing SW sessions if they're not effective as you claim?
Because they're probably making money off of it. It's all one big conspiracy, ya know

When I was at my highest weight (16 stone) I decided I'd had enough. I didn't go on a diet, I didn't join any slimming clubs, I didn't waste money on weight loss products - I did it all on my own with support from me, myself and I. And that's all. I joined a couple of websites where I could get advice and ideas for new meals (because I completely changed the way I ate, but I did it gradually, I didn't change things overnight) and talk to other men and women who were also going through the slim-down process and I also started a food log. I logged (and still do) everything I ate and it counted calories for me, as well as fat, carbohydrates and nutrients I was getting from food.

I lost 6 stone. All by my little ole' self. I didn't think I could do it, but I did. And I didn't give up favorite treats, I didn't cut out all those 'demonized' foods like potatoes, bread, pasta, or even pizza and fried chicken. I still ate my favorite 'sinful treats', it's just I ate them in extreme moderation. I didn't believe in deprivation. Because if I'd deprive myself, I'd eventually cave and eat a restricted food, then throw in the towel and consider the whole thing mission failed.

That's how people fail on diets and new eating plans. They deprive themselves. Then one night they're tempted and eat that food they told themselves they'll have to live without and whammo, the whole thing is ruined. Then they capture the "all or nothing" attitude and say "Well, I've already screwed it up, may as well go for broke" and eat the refrigerator. Then the guilt sets in. They've ruined everything, they've completely undone all the good they've accomplished. Or so they think. Of course it's not true because one bad day isn't going to ruin it all, but this is what they believe. So they give up altogether instead of getting back on their feet, brushing themselves off and saying "Okay, so I had a weak moment, we all do. Tomorrow we'll get back on it."

And you have to stick with that. Because many people don't. They never really lose that 'failure' mindset and everything goes right out the window. Poof, all gone, bye-bye.

I've been down that road too many times. So I decided to allow myself my favorite treats, once in a while. If I know in the back of my mind that I don't have to give up the foods I love that aren't particularly good for me and maybe at the end of the week I can have some pizza or a veggie sub or maybe even a couple of items from my favorite fast food place, that's what keeps me sane. It keeps me going. Never again will I go the deprivation route. It doesn't work. And neither do diets. Diets are a temporary solution. If you want permanent results, you not only have to change the way you eat, you have to change the way you think.

I've been on many weight loss boards over the years and this group here on this board, in my opinion, is the most reasonable and logical. Some of the boards I've been on, omg, they were all about trying crazy diets because they had an outfit they needed to lose 10 pounds in one week for and some of them were pro-ana, i.e. promoting starvation and anorexia. It was awful. If you starve the body, you starve your mind and your soul and everything else as well, because you end up a shell of a human being. Believe me, I've been down that road too when I was young. And it was heartbreaking to see so many women (from teenagers to women in their 30's and 40's) come onto those boards and say things like, "I'll teach you how to become anorexic!"

Where am I going with all of this? I guess I just want to say thanks to all of you that I talk to here about weight, etc, because at least you have heads on your shoulders. You do things the way you need to do them. As an odd, but old phrase my grandmother used to say, "You are the only you that you've got."

And about Realist, although his thoughts and opinions may seem a tad extreme to some, in a lot of ways and about a lot of things, if you really look at what he's trying to say, he's right. I don't mean about the ladies here who like to join support groups, etc. Again, you do for you whatever works. I mean facts about food and diets, etc. Some may not agree with everything he says, but he means well. At least that's what I think.

Enough rambling for now
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 07:10 PM

All I can say is Amen to all that Linda.

You clearly got your head around it and simply made the life decision to eat well and as you discovered, eating well doesn't mean losing out on the things you like to eat, even the less healthy ones. So long as you are listening to your body and understanding when it wants food and when not, then you will be giving it just enough fuel for its needs, and everyone's needs are different of course so there can never ever be any eating regime, diet or plan that can work carte blanche for everyone, that's pure fakery. Give the body the life energy it needs for whatever activities you do, and you'll be healthy and the right weight. Give it an excess and you will be the opposite. Give it too little and the same applies. It isn't rocket science . . . but there is an amount of food and drug science involved that we need to understand, in particular the role of sugars which screw everything up.

6 stone is an awesome achievement Linda so very well done.

When I packed in the 9-5 job at age 48 I lost a stone within a few months simply because I was no longer eating to the age old regime of Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner. Time had new meaning, or rather no meaning. The were no rules any more, no routines. I could stay in bed till 12pm if I wanted, or I could get up at 6am. That time gave me the opportunity to stop and listen and hear the world. In particular to hear my body. I found that my body didn't want food at 8am or 9am (which was the time I was reaching for bacon and egg butties at work in the canteen). In fact my body only began to crave food at around 11am. So that's when I ate. Then I found that it would nudge me again at 3pm. So I'd start eating light snacks/lunch around that time. Then it was 7pm for dinner and maybe something else around 10pm-11pm (say some toast or cereal or cheese).

Just by listening to my body's needs I lost at least a stone in no time at all.
I was still eating plenty of "bad" stuff, like Danish pastries with lattes but not in any excess. Since then both my wife and I resolved to eat simply and frugally. Meat and mixed veg every night, occasionally a cottage pie or pasties but mostly 5-6 types of veg and meat. More weight dropped off.
Today I am the lightest I have been for probably 10 years. I do no exercise at all (which I need to change) and I eat bags and bags of plain basics tortilla chips when I feel like a snack. No sugar in there just maize, sunflower oil and salt. No flavourings or additives.
I put plenty of garlic and ginger in what I cook and frequently use lemons and limes in marinades. I make drinks from blitzing entire lemons which gives me big Vit C boosts and kills and bacteria and viruses. So no more colds and flu. Simple life changes and ones that I love. Nature provides so I eat what she gives and I avoid the evil poisonous stuff cramming supermarket shelves in all its guises ! Everyone can do something similar for themselves imo.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

24-11-2016, 07:33 PM

Thank you

And amazing, your eating schedule is nearly identical to mine. I don't really get hungry until about 11am. That's when I have my lunch. Then a snack in the afternoon and usually a late supper. Sometimes I don't eat until 9 or 10pm.

I hear people all the time say they cut themselves off from food past 6 or 7pm, whether they're hungry or not. I never do that. If I'm hungry, I eat. If I'm not, I don't. It's as simple as that.

Snackwise, I would have to say my biggest weakness is crisps. But I avoid the kind made with partially hydrogenated oils and a bunch of other junk I can't even pronounce. The crisps I eat are simply potatoes, sunflower or canola oil and salt. Not the healthiest food in the world. But even the junkiest of foods can have better options and I eat them once a week. Sunday is my potato chip day while watching movies. Far better than my old eating habits of sitting down almost every night and polishing off nearly a whole bag.

I try to eat as many whole foods as I can (lean meats, fish, vegetables, etc) but sometimes I get stuck in the processed food rut, like grabbing a frozen calorie-controlled meal for lunch when I'm pressed for time or simply too lazy to fix myself something.

I don't have the perfect diet, but I do enjoy eating healthful foods.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK

24-11-2016, 08:24 PM

There ain't no perfect diet so no worries. The good thing is that the body is incredibly resilient. So eating bad things one day isn't going to make any lasting difference. In fact I believe you could eat cream cakes and pastries all day for 1 day, and that wouldn't affect your weight at all. The body will react and rebalance itself from the onslaught of excess sugar and energy. It's only when we perpetually feed the body crap like sugar that we cause ourselves difficulties.
Linda0818
USA

25-11-2016, 12:42 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
There ain't no perfect diet so no worries. The good thing is that the body is incredibly resilient. So eating bad things one day isn't going to make any lasting difference. In fact I believe you could eat cream cakes and pastries all day for 1 day, and that wouldn't affect your weight at all. The body will react and rebalance itself from the onslaught of excess sugar and energy. It's only when we perpetually feed the body crap like sugar that we cause ourselves difficulties.
Exactly. You have to eat nonsense on a consistent basis for it to you affect you as a whole. Also, like you said in another post, it took years to put the weight on. So what you want to lose won't come off overnight.

My boss is an example of someone I keep trying to explain these things to. He'll come into work and say, "I went out to dinner last night and had a piece of pie for dessert. This morning I got on the scale and I've put on 3 pounds!"

I seriously groan in disgust when he says these things because I keep trying to tell him, "You can't gain 3 pounds of FAT overnight. It's probably just water retention, plus weight fluctuation is normal."

I'll ask him what he had for dinner. Sometimes it's Chinese (loaded with mass amounts of sodium) or Italian. There's his answer. He's not like me, he doesn't drink water all day long. He drinks mostly caffeinated coffee, which will act as a diuretic. He still doesn't get it and believes he put on 3 pounds from one piece of pie

Page 9 of 9 « First < 7 8 9

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top