Join for free
Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:18 PM

Re: Spelling and grammar

Never confuse your grammar with bad typing skills. I hunt and peck so mistakes will happen. But the grocer`s apostrophe does annoy me.

Panino-singular

Panini-plural

Paninis-just wrong

Panini`s-belonging to Panini
fender
Chatterbox
SE England
fender is male  fender has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by Bruce ->
I suppose it boils down to the difference between knowing you're shit and knowing your shit.
Ha!

I quite like that one...
Losos
Fondly Remembered
West Suffolk
Losos is male  Losos has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by Julie1962 ->
Surely we need to ensure teaching is absolute best it can be if we are going to make our way in the world again ?
Too late Julie, the teachers comming into state schools now are already the children of parents who were not educated correctly (The 'comprehensive' idea was totaly flawed!) So mistakes the parents made are being duplicated by their offspring.

Someone above just 'apologised' for having gone to a Grammer School - WHY they at least had some standards.
Pumicestone
Australia
Pumicestone is male  Pumicestone has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 04:36 PM

One problem is that some who claim to be well-educated, well-read and well travelled genuinely believe they are expressing themselves clearly and can be readily understood.
Unfortunately, in some cases, their spelling, grammar and punctuation are so consistently atrocious that their message is often far from clear.

This causes friction and disharmony and endless battles over semantics.
So-called 'nit-picking', by those more literate, seems counter-productive
but if "offenders" only realized their own shortcomings and checked their posts before rushing to hit "submit",
much conflict could be avoided.
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 04:39 PM

That's true. I try to spell as best I can but I can't claim I'm a great speller left school too early to claim I'm in any way educated, but the thread was about teaching, it makes me sad to think bad spellers are teaching our next generations.
cranberry
Notts, UK
cranberry is female  cranberry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 05:41 PM

My grandson is very lucky and is in a school that sets great store by spelling correctly and he's only 5 so the message is getting home early. He can read really well and his maths is good, too.
The teachers don't always get it right though as a letter home showed, recently.
Older git
Chatterbox
South Lincs
Older git is male  Older git has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:01 PM

I did go to a pseudo posh school but yelling and the cane is no way to teach children the difference between the vocative,and other such terms,same with French-your mother`s Aunt might be your Grandmother and such insults.

It was only when I did Italian in my late 40`s that I was taught with respect.

It`s easy when you are helped-present,future,imperfect,perfect,. I would have known all of this had I been taught properly,but then again they should have realised that the future would come back.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:04 PM

It always surprises me how many 'professionals' are unable to spell. I realise that it's not always necessary in order to understand what they are writing but when I left school in the late seventies, spelling was essential if you wanted a good job.

Spell checkers on computers and phones are handy but it means you don't have to actually learn to spell the words you are typing.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:31 PM

My 6-y.o. granddaughter showed me her reading book's "teacher's comments" section a few weeks ago. It was littered with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes from her teacher. many parents complained about similar remarks from this teacher.
Apparently the teacher wasn't even qualified, the school was investigated for bad practices and the teacher got sacked.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:35 PM

Originally Posted by Floydy ->
My 6-y.o. granddaughter showed me her reading book's "teacher's comments" section a few weeks ago. It was littered with grammatical errors and spelling mistakes from her teacher. many parents complained about similar remarks from this teacher.
Apparently the teacher wasn't even qualified, the school was investigated for bad practices and the teacher got sacked.
That might seem harsh to some but I think it was the correct thing to do. It makes you wonder how the teacher got the job in the first place.

Page 2 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 12 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top