Join for free
Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:38 PM

Re: Spelling and grammar

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
That might seem harsh to some but I think it was the correct thing to do. It makes you wonder how the teacher got the job in the first place.
It does, and I believe the school has since found out that the teacher was in some way bogus.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:40 PM

This thread reminds me of when I attended an adult education creative writing class (where I penned the short story that ended up in my ongoing novel), some decades ago.

In one story I used the word 'cum'. It took another student and I to explain to the teacher what it meant! He'd never heard of it!

I think he only got the job because he once co-wrote a children's book. Nothing majorly clever, or a masterpiece, so maybe his own education had left a lot to be desired.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:42 PM

I remember at school we had a relief English teacher who was a Sikh and could hardly speak English himself. We couldn't understand him and he couldn't understand us; so all the pupils complained and he was also sacked.
Cedronella
england
Cedronella is female  Cedronella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:42 PM

I do not mind about spelling on forums so much, but I did mind when I got a letter from the Bank which was illegible. With a smile on my face I asked them for a translation. The apologised.
Longdogs
Chatterbox
SW England
Longdogs is male  Longdogs has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by Jazzi ->
This thread reminds me of when I attended an adult education creative writing class (where I penned the short story that ended up in my ongoing novel), some decades ago.

In one story I used the word 'cum'. It took another student and I to explain to the teacher what it meant! He'd never heard of it!

I think he only got the job because he once co-wrote a children's book. Nothing majorly clever, or a masterpiece, so maybe his own education had left a lot to be desired.
I like the sound of your novel Jazzi.
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere
Floydy is male  Floydy has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 06:46 PM

Originally Posted by Longdogs ->
I like the sound of your novel Jazzi.
Haha. Are you on my wavelength, Longdogs? Jizzy cum?!
Floydy
Chatterbox
Nowhere

02-01-2017, 06:48 PM

Originally Posted by Cedronella ->
I do not mind about spelling on forums so much, but I did mind when I got a letter from the Bank which was illegible. With a smile on my face I asked them for a translation. The apologised.
You did that on purpose, Cedronella didn't you?
Emerald
Yorkshire
Emerald is female  Emerald has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:07 PM

Language changes over the centuries, in fact it's almost impossible to read some of the ancient manuscripts with the liberal use of what we see as 'f' but is pronounced as 's'. However, I despair at the use of the word 'of' instead of 'have' as in "would of" and "could of". I'm sad to say that I have an example of this being used by a local teacher!
swimfeeders
Chatterbox
Shropshire
swimfeeders is male  swimfeeders has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:13 PM

Hi

It is text speak I do not like, I even had emails written in text speak from some of the younger ones.
Rehab44
Chatterbox
Nil
Rehab44 is male  Rehab44 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-01-2017, 08:17 PM

Doesn't language evolve over time? Surely if someone can understand what you are saying/writing is it that important?
An example being, 'By my trowth, thou dost make the millstone seem as a feather what widst thy lard-bloated footfall!'
Which we all know now means, YOU ARE FAT!

Page 3 of 13 < 1 2 3 4 5 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top