Join for free
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 06:15 PM

GP's charging

What's this about GP's discussions on whether to start charging us for basic simple operations now?
I keep hearing bits on the news but haven't got the full story yet? Something about doing evening and weekend work and charging us for it?

I heard someone say it is the first step to privatising the NHS. Anyone know more about it?
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 06:22 PM

Re: GP's charging

Is this what you've heard Mups?

Patients could face paying their family doctors for out-of-hours appointments and minor procedures that fall outside the surgery’s contracted NHS work, under new plans being proposed by some GP leaders.

The scheme would see doctors use their own time to treat and charge patients and involve the setting up of a third-party company to manage the payments to GPs.

“They will offer practice services, for example, if someone wants a minor operation but can only do this in an evening, then they can do this by charging a small fee.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nts-in-england

It's looks like the long and winding road of a two tier Health Care system doesn't it.
I can imagine a great many NHS GP's opting to minimize their contractual hours to the NHS .. and feather their own nests with private practice.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England
Morticia is female  Morticia has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 06:28 PM

I've just had another thought ...

After all that recent hoohah with the Junior doctor's threatened strike, and now this, it knocks your belief in them as altruistic, kind Good Samaritans who actually put the patient first doesn't it.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire
Mups is female  Mups has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Morticia ->
Is this what you've heard Mups?

Patients could face paying their family doctors for out-of-hours appointments and minor procedures that fall outside the surgery’s contracted NHS work, under new plans being proposed by some GP leaders.

The scheme would see doctors use their own time to treat and charge patients and involve the setting up of a third-party company to manage the payments to GPs.

“They will offer practice services, for example, if someone wants a minor operation but can only do this in an evening, then they can do this by charging a small fee.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/...nts-in-england

It's looks like the long and winding road of a two tier Health Care system doesn't it.
I can imagine a great many NHS GP's opting to minimize their contractual hours to the NHS .. and feather their own nests with private practice.

I fear you could be right, Mort.
We will just have to see how this developes.
Meg
Supervisor
Worcestershire
Meg is female  Meg has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

25-01-2017, 06:50 PM

I thought GPs were grumbling about being overworked and in short supply .

If they have got enough time to see paying patients they have got enough time to hold more NHS surgeries.
Mups
Chatterbox
Northamptonshire

25-01-2017, 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by Meg ->
I thought GPs were grumbling about being overworked and in short supply .

If they have got enough time to see paying patients they have got enough time to hold more NHS surgeries.

Hmm, interesting way of looking at it Meg. Makes sense to me, that does.
Morticia
Chatterbox
England

25-01-2017, 07:08 PM

So the consensus is ..
They don't want to be overworked and underpaid.
Just ... underworked and overpaid.
deylon
Fondly Remembered
Harrow,England
deylon is female  deylon has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 08:29 PM

I wonder what will happen at my GP surgery. My Dr is head of the General Practitioners Commitee, so far ,he has been able to keep the surgery ,plus another one , running smoothly with a supply of locm Drs
Julie1962
Chatterbox
Surrey
Julie1962 is female  Julie1962 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

26-01-2017, 10:11 PM

Your own GP won't be allowed to charge you anything it's against the law, what's proposed is other gps could be sought and you pay them either in your own surgery or another surgery.

The idea is the money could go towards the surgeries not into pockets of the doctors I believe.

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top