Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 09:35 PM

Horizon - Why We Are Fat

Just watching this BBC programme now (Horizon - Why Are We Getting Fat).

Predictably, the Beeb being a mainstream Sheeple conditioning media outlet, the content is a lot of nonsense. The guts of the programme is basically saying the obesity problem is all caused by genes/DNA.

lols !

They are of course steering clear of the massive issue of sugar and its role in affecting how and when we feel hungry and how it screws with our body and brain. No surprise because the sugar mega-corporations are ruthless and all-controlling. People who have spoken out about the sugar companies have . . . gone missing.

Problem is many people think programmes like Horizon must be on the level and correct.
Realist
Chatterbox
UK
Realist is male  Realist has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

07-06-2016, 09:43 PM

Re: Horizon - Why We Are Fat

OMG!

Now they are developing hormone injections to fool the body into thinking it has had sufficient food. The guinea pigs trialling it are supposedly eating 17-22% less after each injection. Why don't they just cut out the sugar which is equally fooling the body into thinking it is hungry when it is not?!
oxymoron47
Australia
oxymoron47 is male  oxymoron47 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 07:09 AM

Am I Fat? According to whom? I'm (by magazine standards) plus+ size, at least. Care factor = zero. My slim wife and I don't give a rat's arse what other people think.
MKJ
Chatterbox
UK
MKJ is male  MKJ has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
OMG!

Now they are developing hormone injections to fool the body into thinking it has had sufficient food. The guinea pigs trialling it are supposedly eating 17-22% less after each injection. Why don't they just cut out the sugar which is equally fooling the body into thinking it is hungry when it is not?!
Lets face it unless the choice of food is controlled (practically an impossibility) then the next best thing would be to stop the human body from being able to get fat; a magic pill that allows you to eat whatever you want but to stay slim. Sounds great to me . Not sure injections to reduce the amount of food taken in is the way to go though. No fun in that. I would like to eat as much of ANY type of food and remain slim not to eat less.

My diet and exercise regime seems to be working anyway. Getting fitter and slimmer. I've done the sensible approach by cutting down on sugars and fats but not oily fish. Seems to be working for me.
Nom
Chatterbox
Northumberland
Nom is male  Nom has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 10:24 AM

Originally Posted by Realist ->
OMG!

Natural hormones do just that in our bodies already, some people lack these among other things. You cant say cut out sugar every human being is different.

Ghrelin, the most predominant “hunger hormone” identified to date, is a peptide released by endocrine cells mostly within the stomach’s lining. It counteracts leptin to increase metabolic efficiency and stimulate appetite. It normally indicates hunger: “If your stomach’s growlin’, you’re making ghrelin.” Though, it can also be released after a high-protein meal.

Neuropeptide Y (NPY) is an extremely potent stimulator of feeding behavior. It is also the most abundant neuropeptide in the brain. In addition to its function in feeding behavior, it also takes part in circadian rhythms, sexual functioning, and anxiety responses. Clearly, NPY is a key player!

Much research is being done on this hormone as many are very invested in finding out what the magic answer is for obesity.

Leptin. From leptos, the Greek word for “thin,” leptin is synthesized within fat cells, and works as a “satiety factor” on the hypothalamus to dampen eating behavior while increasing energy expenditure. Leptin appears to act, at least in part, by inhibiting NPY synthesis and release in the hypothalamus. New hopes of a magic weight-loss pill based on leptin have yet to reach fruition.

Adiponectin, a mixture of anti-inflammatory peptides secreted by fat cells, helps regulate energy balance and the metabolism of sugars and fats, as well as increasing insulin sensitivity. Paradoxically, overweight people often have less circulating adiponectin than slim individuals. What triggers its secretion from fat cells is still unclear. More than likely this is a very complex system that will take some time to understand.

Peptide YY (PYY) has been shown to slow digestion, suppress appetite, and significantly reduce food consumption.

Cholecystokinin (CCK) is released in the duodenum in response to high-fat or high-protein meals. It signals the brain to produce a sense of fullness or satiety. Fatty meals are an especially effective trigger in the release of CCK.
Pats
Lincolnshire
Pats is female  Pats has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by MKJ ->
My diet and exercise regime seems to be working anyway. Getting fitter and slimmer. I've done the sensible approach by cutting down on sugars and fats but not oily fish. Seems to be working for me.
Yes that's the sensible way, glad it's working for you MKJ.
mariana
Kent. Uk.
mariana is female  mariana has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

08-06-2016, 08:24 PM

Originally Posted by Pats ->
Yes that's the sensible way, glad it's working for you MKJ.
I have done the same--but its not working for me---I try and eat salmon as much as I can---but perhaps Ill try sardines or mackeral too---and see what happens--after 2 solid weeks of cutting down and eating sensibly, i found out i was half a pound more this week---I am sick about it.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 01:44 PM

The problem is, like Nom said, everyone is different and our bodies react to certain foods in different ways. For example, I watch the show Supersize vs Superskinny. Some of the superskinnies' diets are nothing BUT sugar. Yet they're skin and bones. The one I watched last night had a jockey named Martin, who was the superskinny. He ate chocolate bars for breakfast, chocolate biscuits for lunch and sometimes a sensible dinner, but sometimes all he had was energy drinks, which is nothing but sugar. Yet he couldn't gain weight.

I'm not saying sugar isn't a problem, because it most certainly is, with all the hidden sugars in foods we would never suspect it being in. But his problem was simple... he wasn't eating enough calories to sustain an average male and 3/4 of his calories were crap; energy drinks and loads of chocolate. Yes, he was quite possibly addicted to sugar, but he said the reason he would reach for chocolate bars and biscuits is because he was lazy, he couldn't be bothered to cook a proper meal. He was also fat-phobic, like I used to be. Even good fats he stayed away from because, to him, it was still fat.

Then there was the case of the one woman - I forget her name - who was a health food fanatic, yet she weighed nearly 28 stone. Yes, she ate healthful foods... but she simply ate too much of them. She reminded me of a friend who decided to go vegetarian for the simple reason of health and weight loss. She lost nothing. In fact she gained. She was eating all the right things, but way too much of it.
malcolm
Chatterbox
UK
malcolm is male  malcolm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 01:50 PM

Everyone is different...except in one aspect and that aspect is EATING.
Fat people eat too much, whether through gluttony or through not fully understanding their own metabolism.
Argue as you will against the true facts of the situation, but you will not change it....it you are overweight then cut down on your food intake, and stop making excuses for your fatness.
Linda0818
USA
Linda0818 is female  Linda0818 has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

18-06-2016, 02:13 PM

Agreed. When I was at my highest weight, there was only one reason for it... I ate too much, regardless of what it was. When I started eating less - again, regardless of what I was eating - I lost weight.

It's not rocket science. I get why they're trying to find this reason and that reason behind it, but it really does boil down to one simple thing -- if you eat more calories than your body needs, you're going to gain weight. If you eat just enough calories, you'll maintain. If you eat fewer calories than your body needs, you'll lose.

You can get fat eating nothing but vegetables or lose weight eating nothing but chocolate bars.

It's like all the people blaming McDonald's, as an example, for making them fat. McDonald's didn't make you fat... YOU made you fat. Nobody put a gun to your head and made you eat 10 Big Macs in a week's time. It's all about personal responsibility and people these days want to blame everyone but themselves.

If you don't eat enough, however, your body will tend to hang onto whatever you take in to preserve it if your body thinks it's going through a famine. But in the end - and eventually - your body will have no choice but to use your current resources for energy.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top