Join for free
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

30-01-2017, 11:11 AM

Trochanteric bursitis.

Or trochanteric pain syndrome as it's also known.

I've been diagnosed with this condition. Basically it's inflammation caused by damage or wear & tear to the big muscle surrounding my femur. I get a lot of pain in my left thigh while climbing stairs and when I've been sitting for some time I can hardly walk when I get up.

My favourite pastime of country walking is out for the time being as it's agony when I try to climb over a stile.

There isn't much treatment for it except ice & anti inflammatory drugs. I have been offered a pain killing steroid injection but have decided to go down the path of having physio first.

I've had it since last November & it shows no sign of getting better.

I wondered if anyone else has had this condition?
Biomechanist60s
New Member!
Oxfordshire
Biomechanist60s is male 

06-02-2017, 08:30 PM

Re: Trochanteric bursitis.

Hi Carol

My boss Alan said he'd joined this forum, so he gave me his password, so I could look around, as I'm 61 myself and might well join. On here I noticed your post [snip/mod edit]
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.
carol is female  carol has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 06:45 PM

Crikey 296 views and not one helpful answer.... Oh woe is me.

Ah well - I've just started physio ... Hoping it will help.
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 07:28 PM

Do you drive a small car? - I had pain from both legs for a year. Sciatica in right leg and knee pain in left one. I finally realised they had both come on since I'd been driving a punto hatchback.
2 months ago I changed to an old Astra estate - both pains have been vastly better since.
It's quite surprising as the pedals are heavier to press in the Astra, but the angle must be better
Barry
Chatterbox
North Notts
Barry is male  Barry has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

My Mum suffers from this Carol, but she has a cortisone injection around every three months which takes most of the sting out of it.

Originally Posted by gvm ->
Do you drive a small car? - I had pain from both legs for a year. Sciatica in right leg and knee pain in left one. I finally realised they had both come on since I'd been driving a punto hatchback.
2 months ago I changed to an old Astra estate - both pains have been vastly better since.
It's quite surprising as the pedals are heavier to press in the Astra, but the angle must be better
Why on earth not drive an automatic?
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

14-02-2017, 08:03 PM

Originally Posted by carol ->

I did tell you about the Ball to sit on , and Im pleased to read else where you gave it a go .

Did your Physio tell you anything useful , what did they do for you ?
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

15-02-2017, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by gvm ->
Do you drive a small car? - I had pain from both legs for a year.
Yes - for the last three years - a Micra now a Fiesta. I don't think it's anything to do with the car. I felt comfortable driving both.

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
I did tell you about the Ball to sit on , and Im pleased to read else where you gave it a go .

Did your Physio tell you anything useful , what did they do for you ?

Yes I've tried the ball twice now Eliza and fallen off it both times. There's quite a skill in trying to balance.

Physio showed me an exercise to do three time a day. Also advised me to apply ice as often as I can as ice is an anti inflamotory. Also to apply Ibuprofen Gel 3 times a day as this is also anti inflammatory.

She said it may never get completely better and if the exercises don't help she will give me a steroid injection.

I'm determined to do everything she said - I don't want injections if I can help it.

I just so want to be better by spring so I can go walking again.
Cass
NL
Cass is female  Cass has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 07:57 AM

Ok so I have it... Bad news learn to live with it.

Once youve had it once chances are it will flare up from time to time. Learn to identify the things that aggravate it and avoid them. Some positions and that slow crawling walk around busy markets and exhibitions do it for me. Sitting with my hip lower than my knee is another one.

Ice doesnt really help with my pain I find a hot water bottle more effective and the doc hands out anti inflammitories as and when neccessary.

Good points, exersise helps ..I find swimming loosens everything and moderate walking is fine. Use a stick if that helps take some strain off the affected leg.

Flat shoes with a good insole are a must. Chuck out any high heels as they seem to make the problem 10 times worse.

When all else fails grit your teeth. Steriod injections and such bring their own downside and are not a cure.
Jazzi
Chatterbox
Lowestoft
Jazzi is female  Jazzi has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

15-02-2017, 08:54 AM

Hope the physio and other treatments work, Carol.
carol
Chatterbox
Derbyshire.

15-02-2017, 09:44 AM

Thanks everybody.
As I type this I sit here with an ice pack resting on my groin area.
Brrrrr - I'd rather have a hottie but the doc said ice reduces inflammation...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top