Join for free
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:12 PM

Does Anyone Want To Talk About Gall Stones?

I have been having tummy troubles lately and the doctor did blood tests and sent me for a scan.
The blood tests were normal but the scan has shown l have lots of gallstones and some are big!
I think it is a family thing as both my mother and sister had their gallbladder taken out.
The doctor said l can carry on as l have or go to see a consultant at the hospital and has given me a letter of referral.
Decisions, Decisions!

Do you have gallstones? Have you had your gallbladder removed or do you just live with the gallstones?
gvm
Sussex, UK
gvm is male  gvm has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:23 PM

Re: Does Anyone Want To Talk About Gall Stones?

I went for a scan about a year ago, and was told (and shown) that I have some large gallstones. The scan results never made it to my doc despite constant phone calls. However, after reading up about them I decided to make some changes to my diet.
I've cut down drastically on my milk intake by almost giving up tea and coffee, drinking herb teas instead. I also drink far more water than before.
Try to keep other fats down too.
Also my daughter was doing a herbal medicine course, and she made me some herbal medicine - 15 drops before each meal.

Altogether it seems to have worked. I rarely get any pain now, in fact hardly any at all since Christmas
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK
Artangel is female  Artangel has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by gvm ->
I went for a scan about a year ago, and was told (and shown) that I have some large gallstones. The scan results never made it to my doc despite constant phone calls. However, after reading up about them I decided to make some changes to my diet.
I've cut down drastically on my milk intake by almost giving up tea and coffee, drinking herb teas instead. I also drink far more water than before.
Try to keep other fats down too.
Also my daughter was doing a herbal medicine course, and she made me some herbal medicine - 15 drops before each meal.

Altogether it seems to have worked. I rarely get any pain now, in fact hardly any at all since Christmas
Thank You for that! gvm.
I have just googled gallstone pics and now l'm in shock! I can't believe that l have things like that inside me!
I don't think the dieting l did last year has helped me as l read dieting can cause gallstones?
I have never had an operation in my life and don't really want one now!
Goldielocks
Spain
Goldielocks is female  Goldielocks has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:32 PM

Very painful Art. The problem with gallstones they tend to flare up when you least expect it. An old aunt of mine was throughly impressed when she had her gall bladder out and was recommending it to everyone.

I would just watch and wait with a few changes to your diet it may help. If I can remember did you not say in a previous thread you liked full fat milk. Try semi skimmed instead.
realspeed
Chatterbox
South coast
realspeed is male  realspeed has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:45 PM

OOh not my favourite subject, far too painful. I was mis diagnosed with gastric flux , I thought it was a heart attack, in Feb a couple of years ago. i had shooting pains right up my chest
So Sue rushed me into hospital to have tests done and they mis diagnosed the problem. I then was taken into hospital twice more by ambulance with such extreme pain you woud not believe. Moving on to september that same year, yes it took that long, again rushed into hospital in extreme pain and this time they came to the conclusion it was gall stones. By this time my gall bladder was severely infected and also the ends of my pancreas.

it took about 4 weeks to get the infection down ,by which time I had lost considerable weight and they were worried if I was going to survive. They even said to Sue to warn her, it was that bad. I could not even lift myself up on the bed.
They even inserted a tube for me to pee through

So on intrevenous drips to keep body fluid up -oxogen and blood tests amd blood pressure tests every 4 hours. They got the infection down enough at last to operate to have the gall bladder removed. which caused the infection. I am left with 3 very small scars on my body where they cut me open, micro surgery.

if I were you I would insist on a CT scan which target a smaller area than an MRI scan , I had several of each .

Was I scared? definately not ever having had bad health all my life.

The operation itself I knew nothing about and the knock out injection worked by the time I had counted to 5 in the prep room . Came around back on the ward partially shaved around the belly button where one of the cuts were made.

Throughout all this I was told to be on low fat food.

So how am I now?

Ok got my weight back and living as before but no worries about that terrible pain returning.

My advice would be don't let the problem get out of hand like they did with me, if you need the operation to have the gall bladder removed then sooner than later as I found out nearly to the cost of my life

Well you did ask Artangel
Eliza
Chatterbox
England
Eliza is female  Eliza has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 02:50 PM

my late MIL had Gall stones , the size of rice and with a change of diet didnt have any more trouble from them , How ever her sister had to have hers removed because they were so big,.
susiejaeger
Chatterbox
Essex, UK
susiejaeger is female  susiejaeger has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

02-03-2017, 03:07 PM

No not me, but a friend of mine had his Gallbladder removed and he is fine now.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-03-2017, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by realspeed ->
OOh not my favourite subject, far too painful. I was mis diagnosed with gastric flux , I thought it was a heart attack, in Feb a couple of years ago. i had shooting pains right up my chest
So Sue rushed me into hospital to have tests done and they mis diagnosed the problem. I then was taken into hospital twice more by ambulance with such extreme pain you woud not believe. Moving on to september that same year, yes it took that long, again rushed into hospital in extreme pain and this time they came to the conclusion it was gall stones. By this time my gall bladder was severely infected and also the ends of my pancreas.

it took about 4 weeks to get the infection down ,by which time I had lost considerable weight and they were worried if I was going to survive. They even said to Sue to warn her, it was that bad. I could not even lift myself up on the bed.
They even inserted a tube for me to pee through

So on intrevenous drips to keep body fluid up -oxogen and blood tests amd blood pressure tests every 4 hours. They got the infection done enough at last to operate to have the gall bladder removed. which caused the infection. I am left with 3 very small scars on my body where they cut me open, micro surgery.

if I were you I would insist on a CT scan which target a smaller area than an MRI scan , I had several of each .

Was I scared? definately not ever having had bad health all my life.

The operation itself I knew nothing about and the knock out injection worked by the time I had counted to 5 in the prep room . Came around back on the ward partially shaved around the belly button where one of the cuts were made.

Throughout all this I was told to be on low fat food.

So how am I now?

Ok got my weight back and living as before but no worries about that terrible pain returning.

My advice would be don't let the problem get out of hand like they did with me, if you need the operation to have the gall bladder removed then sooner than later as I found out nearly to the cost of my life

Well you did ask Artangel
Yes, l did ask! Realspeed.
You have been through so much with your health and it's now l understand why you are spending all your money on new cars!

At least now, it is keyhole surgery and not major surgery as it was years ago. The doctor said there is a waiting time of 63 days to see a consultant.
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-03-2017, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Eliza ->
my late MIL had Gall stones , the size of rice and with a change of diet didnt have any more trouble from them , How ever her sister had to have hers removed because they were so big,.
Eliza, I think the doctor said some of mine were 0.7? Is that big for a gallstone?
Artangel
Chatterbox
UK

02-03-2017, 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by Goldielocks ->
Very painful Art. The problem with gallstones they tend to flare up when you least expect it. An old aunt of mine was throughly impressed when she had her gall bladder out and was recommending it to everyone.

I would just watch and wait with a few changes to your diet it may help. If I can remember did you not say in a previous thread you liked full fat milk. Try semi skimmed instead.
Yes, Goldilocks, l am still drinking full fat milk but only a splash in tea! If l use semi skimmed milk, l have to add much more in the tea!
I don't think my love of strawberries and cream have helped my cause!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 > Last »

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top