Join for free
Page 2 of 2 < 1 2
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 08:47 PM

Re: A very sensible decision

Predictable, I suppose, that the Criminals' Protection Service decided that 'there was sufficient evidence to put the matter before the court'. I'm sure they were upset that one of their darling criminals was convicted.

I'm afraid I still believe that our judicial system is a bit of a lottery, though.
Cinderella
Chatterbox
East Anglia, UK
Cinderella is female  Cinderella has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 09:12 PM

Criminals' Protection Service, very appropriate.
AnnieS
Chatterbox
United Kingdom
AnnieS is female  AnnieS has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 10:33 PM

Waste of public money to take this to court.of course they must investigate such cases. But the burden of proof should not be on the home owner or resident. Tony Martin's case was a disgrace.
JBR
Chatterbox
Cheshire, UK
JBR is male  JBR has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

10-03-2017, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by AnnieS ->
Waste of public money to take this to court.of course they must investigate such cases. But the burden of proof should not be on the home owner or resident. Tony Martin's case was a disgrace.
Yes, it was. Had that been in America, there would have been no question: a home owner protecting his property.

The judicial system is supposed to be impartial, but at the same time it often lacks any common sense.
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 11:29 AM

I honestly think it's a sad, sad day for British justice.

This verdict sends out the wrong message...we cannot have some aggressive elderly person with a shotgun running wild in rural Britain....shooting every person that innocently wanders onto farm land.

Pity he wasn't aiming for his balls.
Ripple
Ripple is female  Ripple has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 11:30 AM

You can use reasonable force to protect yourself or others.
At 83yrs going for a shot in the foot seems very reasonable
Tpin
Chatterbox
UK
Tpin is male  Tpin has posted at least 25 times and has been a member for 3 months or more 

11-03-2017, 11:37 AM

I think that the main reason for the prosecution may have been that he went outside....thus putting himself in danger......possibly putting a different slant on self-defence.

As stupid as it sounds.

Page 2 of 2 < 1 2

© Copyright 2009, Over50sForum   Contact Us | Over 50s Forum! | Archive | Privacy Statement | Terms of Use | Top